Sign in to follow this  
AUddicted

Please Help- Got Poison Oak

A few said use Dawn dish soap. I have heard this remedy as well. I have heard that it should be used without water until throughly cleaned. Luckily for me I have been able to avoid the stuff..... I didn't see it answered, did you find any gold among the poison oak?

The dawn just breaks up the uritia (sp?) Oils, so will wash off...must use water, I bring a small bottle in my pack.

It is a histamine reaction in your skin, so over the counter antihistamine in medications help. Cortisone anti itch creams help. Things like Tecnu or dawn only help if you use them right away aft exposure. The oil in the plant actually bonds to the proteins in your skin and cannot be washed off after that.

• Like 2

A few said use Dawn dish soap. I have heard this remedy as well. I have heard that it should be used without water until throughly cleaned. Luckily for me I have been able to avoid the stuff..... I didn't see it answered, did you find any gold among the poison oak?

I did find some small pieces one of which is a little quartz specie. But I did find the source of the gold I had been getting. It was up the draw a bit farther than I had been previously.

Thank you guys for the advice and expertise.

post-1-0-88764000-1453657076.jpg

post-1-0-98229100-1453657077.jpg

post-1-0-50835700-1453657078_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

You must have seen these:

http://www.rd.com/health/wellness/poison-ivy-home-remedies/

Also saw these:

Comment from: adam,Published: April 12

Tooth paste. Apply 1 hour before bed let dry then cover. Shower to remove toothpaste in morning. My poison sumac was gone in 2 days.

Comment from: Liane, 55-64 Female (Patient)Published: September 05

I have poison ivy in my garden at the cabin. I've had good luck with scrubbing my arms and any other areas I might have exposed with dish soap and cold water - as cold as you can stand. I got this advice from my plumber! It seems to work.

I used some GooGone when I had it years ago.

years ago I did some wild land firefighting and like what was said before washing with soap and water asap has always worked for me, I usually start with cool water and soap first and toss your clothes in the washer. Calamine lotion will help relieve the itch and will also help the rash to dry up if you get a poison oak rash, I have been lucky and not had it since I was a kid but I'm careful.

I had a friend of mine visiting from China and we took her on a hike at some Japanese gardens in the Santa Cruz mountains. She had never been around poison oak and despite the warnings managed to get her neck and upper chest exposed by brushing up against or touching some by accident. anyway I didn't know she had touched it until about 3 or 4 days later when I noticed she was repeatedly applying some kind of Chinese skin oil on this really red rash on her neck and I asked her how long this had been going on... 2+2= my friend and wife all now know what poison oak rash looks like, I got her some calamine and the rash cleared up in a couple of days, but felt better once the calamine was applied.

The doctor says that if you don't do anything it will go away in 2 weeks. If you get a cortisone shot it will go away in 14 days. Good luck on either choice.

• Like 1

The doctor says that if you don't do anything it will go away in 2 weeks.

That's probably true in most cases, but I had a case where it got worse and worse for 4 weeks and I finally went to the doctor and got a prescription steroid cream and it still took about another 4 weeks to clear up. A portion of my arm was covered in blisters by the time I went to the doctor. This was the worst patch, but I had smaller patches all over my arms and legs.

post-5-0-15221800-1452408255_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty nasty Chris, my mother was using a chainsaw on oregon coast clearing and burning brush and never realized it was full of poison oak she was inhaling, she ended up going to the hospital,and now she is more sensitive yet to it. Can be real serious to some people.

I have to admit that when I have had it for long periods of time, it was likely from not cleaning my gear. If your coil, pick, debris pouch, boots, etc. were exposed to the oils they likely still have it on them...be sure that you clean those or you may keep repeating your exposure without actually going back to the plant.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Northeast
      I know the sun is probably just coming up in the States, but it's nearly set in most of Oz. 
      What prospecting gear did you receive this year?  Anything else that was interesting?  Was it what you wanted?  
      Me?  Got a few small items but none of it for detecting.  Best thing was a torch holder that locks onto the bottom of a barrel via a magnet.  Top little addition to the fox hunting arsenal.  May have purchased it myself and popped it under the tree   
      Interested to see what others got. 
      Merry Christmas. 
      Northeast. 
    • By auminesweeper
      During these cold months I find a lot of time is wasted and the boredom starts to kick In, So this winter I have set my self a Goal to get ready for the summer and sorting my camping gear out, As some of you know my lock up got raided by the people from the planet DORK and I have started to replace my some of the gear stolen,
      Anyways first up is I have had to replace my fridge So I just bought a new 4X4 ARB 47 litre / 50 Quarts fridge / freezer, and I am over the moon about that because my last one was just a fridge which means that I can now go off for weeks at a time, and as soon as it got here and I saw the Quality of the ARB I got straight on the phone and ordered  the 78 litre version so I can use the 47L as a freezer and use the 78L as a fridge, The 47L uses about 0.87 Amps per hour which is pretty good I think and under adverse conditions it uses about 403 watts per 24 hour period which is about 33.58 Amps or equal to 1.399 Amps per hour so with those type of figures I think I can manage with that, I will be running about 3 or 4 180 Amp batteries and I might add a small wind generator to help the 300 watts of solar panels and I am going to add a 1000 watt generator with a 5 Amp built in charger as a back up plan,
      Anyways, If you want a really Great fridge/freezer set up for your truck or your retreat I highly recommend  the ARB 47L to go with your cooler if you are wanting to keep Quality food with you on your prospecting Ventures, because these things can take a beating because they were design In Australia to take everything The Aussie Bush and 4 wheel driving can throw at them and live to tell the tail.
      Happy Hunting,, John.
       http://www.arb.com.au/products/fridges-camping-accessories/arb-fridge-freezers/  
      Oh forgive me I forgot to mention the price, I got a heck of a good deal on this freezer at £565.00 or $803.93 USD at the current exchange rate
    • By AU_Solitude
      Thought I'd breach the subject as I know I am not the only one who deals with this; What do you do when detecting in areas that are thick with poison oak? Do you take any precautions with your detector, yourself, your other gear? Personally I use and carry Dawn dish soap which is probably one of the most well known preventative/treatments.

Some of the better areas I detect in are thick with this and I recently had a very bad bout with it after cleaning out a coyote hole, the entrance of which was covered with decomposing leaves (some of them poison oak - face, legs, and lungs all affected.)
    • By 1515Art
      So, I've spent a lot of years in my life working in emergency services and one of the most important things I learned was talking about safety is one of the best ways to prevent something bad going worse, or better yet not having anything bad happen at all.
      That being said and me having tire issues in the high n Nevada desert this last time out, the next time I plan to be better equipped. To help my self and be able to help someone else as well, being out in remote areas is kind of like boating in that another in distress becomes your priority if you can assist.
      My growing list includes: upgraded tires, two spares, tire plug kit, tire patches, rubber goop, 12 volt tire pump with battery jump start ($80 at Costco), extra quarts of oil, extra gallons water, hand winch and chain/straps, 200 ft rescue rope, small tools, small first aid kit, there are more things I'm sure. Plus all my prospecting tools and supplies... Barely room for me in the car.
      What other things do you carry to stay safe and what safety tips do other people have to share?
    • By vanursepaul
      i use a16 oz water bottle in my back pocket,,,,,as i drink it i squeeze the air out and it fits better as i go along,,,

most if you know that it takes a long time for fluids to replenish in your body----it takes a while to get into your cells, so it is most important to be well hydrated before you go out.

When i lived in AZ I would always drink a lot of water or gatorade on friday night and skip the alcohol------ alcohol is a bIG cause of dehydration....so load up with good water the night before and you will last longer in the high desert with out having to continually milk one of them nasty bladders....lol

Remember when you finally feel like you are overdoing it in desert heat---it may be too late,,,,it is a very rapid process that goes from dehydration to cardiac arrhythmia and death..

Don't you love a nurse/medic!!! hahaha
       free tip of the day...

Ask Rob Allison how it feels....