Please Help- Got Poison Oak

Long sleeve shirt with an upturned collar and gloves help some (don't wipe your face if you're sweating).

A quick change out of detecting clothes (wash the gloves!), as soon as you get back

and Dawn 2X dish soap works as well as anything.

…and like Shasta gold hunter says, clean your equipment - good point.

Guest Paul (Ca)

Sorry to hear about the poison oak issue, I've see a few people get it.

I've been very fortunate, never caught it not even the slightest. I've touched it even rolled in while tumbling down steep mountains.

Last year, was helping a cattle rancher check the Barb wire on several hundred acres. Terian was so steep in some areas was a couple of times while slipping rolled down hill onto poison oak, face and arms touching it.

The rancher said you're doomed, will surely get a rash. Told him that I've touched it before by accident many times never having an issue, sure enough my face and arms had no signs of poison oak the next morning.

The rancher let's me camp out on his property, so the next day he seen me and he said some people are immune to poison oak and I was one if them.

Hope I didn't jix it, yeah all my life I've touched, rolled in poison oak never had an issue.

Paul

Ugh, gnarly. That stuff is the single reason I don't detect the Sierras.

Is there some way a guy can determine if he's immune to it short of finding some and touching it? I'm not sure where I could even find it.

I get that crap real bad, I got a shot a couple months ago and a Rx. Then a dermatologist gave me another expensive steroid spray for when I get it again.

I have a bucket that I keep in my rig now with jug of water, some simple green, dawn and hand cleaner. Its a pita but that oil stays around forever if you don't clean it off.

Think of it like grease you cant see. You have to scrub it with a rag and your choice of grease remover.

I wash my cloths 3 times with a good laundry soap and some Felsnapth its a laundry soap. Also wash them in hot hot water.

Like said above the hot shower will send you into euphoria, and control the itch.

Takes me 3 weeks to heal up. Anyone has a cure I'm all ears.

This potion called Zanfel? at Walgreens helps my poison ivy. 35 bucks a tube tho. I got poisin ivy last year in the campground lawn apparently when nature called late at nite. Never had poison oak yet.Whats it look like vs normal oak tree leaves?

I grew up in Wyoming and there was Poison Ivy in some places, never bothered me, I didn't encounter poison Oak until I moved to California 6 years ago. There are some people that are essentially immune to it, however, repeated exposures for anyone will result in increasingly worse responses/breakouts as your immune system reacts to the Urishiol (Seemingly counter intuitive, you would think that repeated exposures would build a tolerance - it does not.) 

Trinityau should chime in. I have been with Ray on many occasions when he just walked right through 6' high bushes of poison oak. He never gets it. Needless to say, my wife and I would pick our way around the stuff. Some day it will catch up with him.