Lifting Coil - Iron Burp

DaveP

If this has been covered before please just point me to the thread but I couldn't find it with a forum search.

Nox 600, Field 1, All metal, 5 tones, searching in the Uk

I'm trying t understand what actually happens with a particular signal. I'll hit a strong non-ferrous target that gives solid tones left/right and again at 90 degrees. However, just as I lift the coil to put the machine down I'll get an iron burp. If I move the coil up and down the burp is repeated but left to right doesn't register. Dig the target and it's invariably a button with shank or a shotgun cartridge or rotted out primer central area. I always re-check the hole but the iron signal on lifting the coil has gone. 

There may have been some iron in the same location which has now been disturbed but what I don't understand is why the iron signal only occurs when the coil is moved up and down and not side to side. Any thoughts please?

Thanks for the help,

Chris

10 hours ago, DaveP said:

If this has been covered before please just point me to the thread but I couldn't find it with a forum search.

I don't recall any posts on events similar to what you are experiencing.  I seem to remember a claim that raising and lowering the coil over a non-ferrous hit would give a ferrous grunt when the target was a crown cap.  However, that was disputed and AFAIK never resolved.

• Like 1

My 600 gives a ferrous tone, usually -7, when I lift it or put it down fast. If sensitivity is too high (over 20) and I haven't ground balanced it will also "read" ground contours in the farm. I run it hot so it doesn't bother me anymore.

• Like 2

Thanks FloridaSon,

I have tried that and don't get the problem and there are lots of situations where I have good non-ferrous targets and there's no iron burp when I lift the coil. It just seems to happen with some buttons and particularly mixed metal targets like shotgun carts (most noticeable on the older paper/card ones). I had seen the same effect on my T2. Also, when I check the hole after removing the plug (target in the plug) there's no target or iron signal which is essentially the same as you've done when you checked it out.

I'm really just trying to understand why I can have a target giving a good non-ferrous signal left to right but with the addition of an iron tone up and down. Somehow the iron tone isn't showing left to right.

Thanks for taking the time to check things for me.

Chris

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DaveP said:

I'm really just trying to understand why I can have a target giving a good non-ferrous signal left to right but with the addition of an iron tone up and down. Somehow the iron tone isn't showing left to right.

Thanks for taking the time to check things for me.

Hi you not by any chance running your Equinox in "Tracking" Ground Balance.

2 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

Hi you not by any chance running your Equinox in "Tracking" Ground Balance.

I use both tracking and non-tracking but hope to get out this afternoon and will double check both if I get a similar signal.

What makes you ask?

To me it sounds like you are simply hearing ground noise break the threshold due to the vertical motion of the coil, similar to coil bump sensitivity, which will be dependent on the ground conditions, the target under the coil, and the ground phase setting in relation to the actual ground phase of the patch of soil you are pumping over.  

BTW you also never mentioned which IB filter (FE or F2) you were using you just gave the setting.  But that is probably neither here nor there.   I only mention it in the context of making sure you have the latest Equinox ver 3 firmware update installed.

You can run the check with low, medium, and high ground balance numbers manually dialed in to see if that makes a difference.  

Bottom line though, unless it is going to really affect your dig decision (and it sounds like it hasn’t so far) it probably should just be ignored or dismissed and simply chalked up as a quirk of the machine. Properly doing a comprehensive bunch of tests to see when it pops up and when it doesn’t would really require you to explore its behavior in all modes, including single frequencies, various ground phase settings as I previously suggested, all IB settings, and all recovery speed settings.  

Frankly, life’s too short and swing time too precious to seek out all the answers to quirky detector behavior, but that’s just me.

• Like 7