I'm Hoping A Gpx-6000 Can Find This Type Of Gold Better Than..

Don’t crush that beauty!! Great as a specimen or if need be that kind of finely shot gold would look good slabbed. That quartz and gold jewelry is hard to come by. 

I agree that kind of gold is my main reason for interest in the 6000. That or the ability to pick up 1 gram nuggets at a greater depth. I imagine there are more than 31 nuggets of a gram or less at 6 inches past the old technology sitting in old patches than one ouncers 6 inches deeper. I don’t know if that makes sense but I’d love a detector that really goes deeper on the bread and butter nuggets. 

One concern I have is the lack of iron discrimination. Did that specimen come from those famous Idaho tailings? I believe with no discrimination that would be a tough hunt in dredge piles. I love GPX discrimination even as imperfect as it is. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Oh  would you crush it or keep it?

DSCN8752.JPG

I would keep it as it is, but if you are selling the gold because you can better use for the money then dolly it for quick sale. Remember once it smashed it is all over, so leave it as it is till you sell it.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

As I have mentioned in times past, I enjoy chasing different types of gold and have learned that in many instances the power of a PI is not the tool of choice.

Now with this new GPX-6000 coming out and Minelabs claim to better sensitivity and depth to small gold, I'm hoping it opens up some more gold for my old hunt sites.

Yes the SDC-2300 and GPZ-7000 could do better than my GPX-5000, TDI, and ATX, but none of them have the Sensitivity as my GM-1000 and EQ-800.

I've got a good feeling about this new 6000.

Oh  would you crush it or keep it?

DSCN8752.JPG

WarDa.JPG

Gerry,

Have you done a specific gravity test to see how much gold the specimen might have? If it has a large amount of gold vs. quartz, I would treat it with acid and see what the results would be. Treating with acid you could decide whether if it has potential for nice specimen, if doesn't have potential then crush it.

• Like 4

Now why would anyone want to crush such a nice work of art.

I would agree to slice it into many separate pieces for jewelry to get the maximum out of it.

• Like 4

Noooo smasheee!!!👍👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gerry,

I really like the specimen in its natural form. I would be interested to see if it’s disseminated gold or a solid mass by putting a continuity tester to it and seeing if there a connection.  I’ve had poor luck etching placer specimens due to the rounding off of the outside gold which gives it a strange look. 🤔

Large specimen are most always worth more in a natural state, especially if from a rare location.

• Like 4