Coiltek 5x10 On The Way

Bought one yesterday.  Already have my tracking number  so hopefully next week I'll have some info. on performance. At least here in SW Mo. soil. My soil isn't the best or worst so the depths I get are in between the extremes. 

coiltek-5-x-10-searchcoil-minelab-equinox.jpg

• Like 7

That's Great Tom!, I'm anxious to hear how it performs for you!  ~Tim.

• Like 1

I received an email saying the coils were in stock so I ordered the 5x10" also. Then I received a phone call saying they only received two and they already went out, so I'm still on the waiting list. Anxious to hear how it works for you. 

• Like 2

I came back to the forum to try and find out what the point of these coiltek coils are.

They are more expensive than the actual minelab ones, what is the actual advantage of buying them?

People seem to be promoting these Coiltek coils all over facebook but they don't say why you shouldn't just by one made by Minelab.

Coiltek say they are approved by Minelab, why would they approve these? Won't that cost them money?

The narrow 5" width gets your coil into places the Minelab coils can't get to like between rocks while still giving decent coverage with the 10" length.  Separation and coverage, what more could you ask?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crow said:

I came back to the forum to try and find out what the point of these coiltek coils are.

They are more expensive than the actual minelab ones, what is the actual advantage of buying them?

People seem to be promoting these Coiltek coils all over facebook but they don't say why you shouldn't just by one made by Minelab.

Coiltek say they are approved by Minelab, why would they approve these? Won't that cost them money?

The CoilTek coils fill in the specialized situational capability  gaps between the 3 ML coil offerings.  They are not do it all coils like the ML 11” stock coil, but have specific strengths for certain detecting situations (max depth, separation, coverage, water hunting) because they use coil footprints not offered by the ML accessory coil offerings.

As noted by Tom above: the 5x10 provides similar separation and constrained area swing capability to the ML 6” round but with 10” swing coverage so you don’t have to tiptoe around a site to get overlapping swing coverage like you have to with the 6”.

The 15” round provides potentially maximum depth capability than even the largest ML coil which is limited to only 12” width even though it has 15” length.  The downside to this 15” coil is weight and susceptibility to ground noise in mineralized dirt and potentially less sensitivity to very small targets.

The third CoikTek coil is a heavy weighted elliptical coil designed to give more coverage but less hydrodynamic coil drag than the stock coil when water hunting.  

HTH

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The CoilTek coils fill in the specialized situational capability  gaps between the 3 ML coil offerings.  They are not do it all coils like the ML 11” stock coil, but have specific strengths for certain detecting situations (max depth, separation, coverage, water hunting) because they use coil footprints not offered by the ML accessory coil offerings.

As noted by Tom above: the 5x10 provides similar separation and constrained area swing capability to the ML 6” round but with 10” swing coverage so you don’t have to tiptoe around a site to get overlapping swing coverage like you have to with the 6”.

The 15” round provides potentially maximum depth capability than even the largest ML coil which is limited to only 12” width even though it has 15” length.  The downside to this 15” coil is weight and susceptibility to ground noise in mineralized dirt and potentially less sensitivity to very small targets.

The third CoikTek coil is a heavy weighted elliptical coil designed to give more coverage but less hydrodynamic coil drag than the stock coil when water hunting.  

HTH

Interesting thanks.

I was looking to get a bigger coil for my Equinox 800 to go deeper on beaches, the 15'' coiltek a good option?

Only have the stock coil at the moment.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, crow said:

Interesting thanks.

I was looking to get a bigger coil for my Equinox 800 to go deeper on beaches, the 15'' coiltek a good option?

Only have the stock coil at the moment.

The large 15" coil might get you an inch or two additional at the beach over the stock 11" coil and perhaps an inch or so over the Minelab 15x12 inch coil.  This is based on my experience of digging nickels and other non-ferrous targets at up to 15" in wet salt sand with the stock 11" coil in wet sand.  Also, you may lose the ability to sense shallower, smaller jewelry targets because of its size.  IMO, if that is the case, I really don't see that advantage (the additional inch or so, if that is actually the case) worth the huge weight penalty you take on the coil.  It is like adding a 12 oz coke can on top of your existing coil because the 15" weighs a half pound more than even the 15x12 coil.  People are talking about using harness to be able to swing the beast.  If you want to eek out perhaps a tad more depth and increase your swing coverage at the beach in we and dry sand, I would recommend the 15x12 inch coil. 

Also, if you are getting into the water, I recommend sticking with the 11" stock coil because the hydrodynamic coil drag on the larger coils is probably overwhelming.  If you are still interested in this 15" coil, then I would just wait now and see what the user reports say on coil performance on depth and small target sensitivity and on a salt beach (if that is what you mean by beach) since the coil just got into peoples' hands this week and then see if it is even worth it for what you want to do.  HTH.

• Like 3

speculative so far, however coiltek has a good rep. there will be disappointment in the 5x10 coil but should improve in performance after some adjustments by coiltek

• Like 1