Coiltek 5x10 On The Way

The Coiltek 5x10 does look well built but I'm a fan of light weight coils. I have Nel 10x11 Superfly coil at 420 grams that is about the same weight as the Equinox 5x10 coil. I have a Mars 13" discovery coming that's 520 grams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Um, ok.  Then that is a REALLY bad look by Coiltek if true and a bad business model and execution plan. It costs them money in returns and in having to tweak their production line and it can cost them business through irate customers.  These are not like detectors that you can upgrade after the fact.  Really having trouble believing this.  It's either ready or not ready, there really are no in between states when it comes to coils.

nokta makro had some problems with simplex coil early on and so did minelab with coil ears breaking and coils falsing on the nox. remember? so buy the coiltek. i am going to get one. btw how are you so sure about your statement "there really are no in between states when it comes to coils" that is just false.

4 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Wow "Not fully released quite yet" although the dealers have been receiving, selling, and shipping them to customers.

just curious which dealers, cause i want a 5x10

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The 10x5 weighs all of 26 grams more than the Vanquish 10x7 coil (400 vs. 426 grams), that is less than an ounce.

360 grams for the Vanquish. And in theory it could be a little lighter than the 10x7 since 10x5

A 10th of a pound or so off the coil and longer lever arm is better than adding a pound off the back of the shaft to help balance it better. 

Just a personal opinion on another reason that might make me more interested in the coil instead of the stock 11” and spending another $200+ on this detector. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

360 grams for the Vanquish. And in theory it could be a little lighter than the 10x7 since 10x5

A 10th of a pound or so off the coil and longer lever arm is better than adding a pound off the back of the shaft to help balance it better. 

Just a personal opinion on another reason that might make me more interested in the coil instead of the stock 11” and spending another $200+ on this detector. 

palzynski stated here it was 400 with the coil cover and 360 without.  Coiltek stated the 5x10 was 426g but did not state whether that was with or without cover, I assumed that is with the cover but could be wrong.  Guess we'll see what the answer is when someone actually measures it.  That means the 10x5 can weigh anywhere from 1 oz to 3 oz more than the 7x10 Vanquish coils.  The Coiltek coils are generally heavier from a weight to coverage ratio than the ML coils as I racked out in the link below, so point taken.  But it is still a relatively small delta compared to say the difference between the 15" round and the 12x15".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, trash panda said:

nokta makro had some problems with simplex coil early on and so did minelab with coil ears breaking and coils falsing on the nox. remember? so buy the coiltek. i am going to get one. btw how are you so sure about your statement "there really are no in between states when it comes to coils" that is just false.

You are mixing up the difference between an intentional approach and an unintentional error. 

The thing is Nokta immediately responded to the issues with a coil recall.  It was a manufacturing error.  Minelab has apparent borderline design issues with coil ears but is willing to to just let it slide, apparently, because they have decided to take the approach of just replacing the coils under warranty based on a business-tolerable failure rate - typically heavy water users who are putting a lot of hydrodynamic stress on their coils.   

You, however, are talking about intentionally using detectorists as coil beta testers to fine tune the coil.  Big difference and I suspect THAT is false, especially since it appears Coiltek has responded on the record to somewhat debunk the claim in this forum using the official Coiltek forum account.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

palzynski stated here it was 400 with the coil cover and 360 without.  Coiltek stated the 5x10 was 426g but did not state whether that was with or without cover, I assumed that is with the cover but could be wrong.  Guess we'll see what the answer is when someone actually measures it.  That means the 10x5 can weigh anywhere from 1 oz to 3 oz more than the 7x10 Vanquish coils.  The Coiltek coils are generally heavier from a weight to coverage ratio than the ML coils as I racked out in the link below, so point taken.  But it is still a relatively small delta compared to say the difference between the 15" round and the 12x15".

You may be right but just here hoping. At the moment I’m not too compelled to jump on this coil. The shape would be nice in some cases for me but the weight reduction and better balance would definitely be a delighter that may tip me over to making a purchase. 

I think the 11” round on the Equinox seemed to be more “marketing and who has a big coil out of box and depth” than the better option for most situations, do it all coil that say a 10x5-6” coil would be. And then you take a nose heaviness penalty. I guess I am disappointed that the SP24 Fir the Simplex and this Coiltek 10x6 for the Equinox both weigh about as much as the stock 11”. 

Maybe the next Minelab, Nokta, Garrett, or even Fisher iteration will get this right...

40 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I think the 11” round on the Equinox seemed to be more “marketing and who has a big coil out of box and depth” than the better option for most situations, do it all coil that say a 10x5-6” coil would be.

I get what you are saying when you state the 10x5 weighs almost as much as the 11" On the other hand, I say the 10x5 weighs 3 oz less.  The 10x5 literally splits the weight difference between the Vanquish 10x7 and the NOX 11".   Your take is ML and Coiltek not "getting it right", and I see Coiltek offering a lighter coil with almost the same coverage as the 11" round.  By splitting it down the middle it is easy to have different takes on what is going on here with these new coils.

What is clear is that the 11" coil is definitely optimized for Equinox (almost as if Equinox was designed to operate optimally around that coil).  The 6" and 15x12" are suboptimal from a form factor and/or performance standpoint.  They have specific uses (tight spaces, pinpoint use in high target density areas, or great swing coverage) but also suffer from downsides including swing coverage (6") and weight/ground noise amplification (15x12) and are therefore situational at best.  No coil I have seen has significantly beat the 11" on depth AND on small target sensitivity.  I do think the 10X5 is also simply a situational coil (but a coil I would use in A LOT more situatations than the 6" round), because it will likely have noticeably less depth performance than the stock.  I think most people want the combo of depth performance and swing coverage the 11" offers and that is why ML gravitated there.  There is no denying, however, the more choices when it comes to coils, the better, no matter how you slice it.  So in that sense I think Coiltek is getting it right, provided the performance proves to be there with the user reports start coming in.  JMO though.

• Like 1