Coiltek 5x10 On The Way

28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I get what you are saying when you state the 10x5 weighs almost as much as the 11" On the other hand, I say the 10x5 weighs 3 oz less.  The 10x5 literally splits the weight difference between the Vanquish 10x7 and the NOX 11".   Your take is ML and Coiltek not "getting it right", and I see Coiltek offering a lighter coil with almost the same coverage as the 11" round.  By splitting it down the middle it is easy to have different takes on what is going on here with these new coils.

What is clear is that the 11" coil is definitely optimized for Equinox (almost as if Equinox was designed to operate optimally around that coil).  The 6" and 15x12" are suboptimal from a form factor and/or performance standpoint.  They have specific uses (tight spaces, pinpoint use in high target density areas, or great swing coverage) but also suffer from downsides including swing coverage (6") and weight/ground noise amplification (15x12) and are therefore situational at best.  No coil I have seen has significantly beat the 11" on depth AND on small target sensitivity.  I do think the 10X5 is also simply a situational coil (but a coil I would use in A LOT more situatations than the 6" round), because it will likely have noticeably less depth performance than the stock.  I think most people want the combo of depth performance and swing coverage the 11" offers and that is why ML gravitated there.  There is no denying, however, the more choices when it comes to coils, the better, no matter how you slice it.  So in that sense I think Coiltek is getting it right, provided the performance proves to be there with the user reports start coming in.  JMO though.

The 5x10 weighs 15.2 oz. My minelab stock coil weighs exactly 16oz without cover.  It's very close to the stock coil in weight.  The 7x10 Vanquish coil weighs 12.7oz.  Not really a split lol

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

The 5x10 weighs 15.2 oz. My minelab stock coil weighs exactly 16oz without cover.  It's very close to the stock coil in weight.  The 7x10 Vanquish coil weighs 12.7oz.  Not really a split lol

May not be splitting the difference but now we are definitely splitting hairs, lol! 

We are still talking about a 3.3 oz max difference between the Vanquish and ML coils and the Coiltek lies in between the two at 2.5 oz heavier than the Vanquish and .8 oz lighter than the Nox 11".  So sue me. Lol.

Like I said, Coiltek did not specify whether the weight was with or without cover and I acknowledged that. 

You didn't say it but I am assuming all your measurements are without coil cover.  That is great to actually have the confirmation of the Coiltek weight is without cover (if that is the case).

Vanquish 10x7 = 12.7 oz w/o CC and 14.1 oz w/ CC

Coiltek 10x5 = 15.2 oz w/o CC and ?? oz w/CC

ML 11" round = 16 oz w/o CC and 18 oz. w/CC

The most relevant weight comparison would be WITH coil covers for all three coils because who knows how dense the Coiltek cover is.  Won't change things too much because the spread only widens from 3.3 oz to 3.9 oz with the covers accounted for, but that would be great information if you have those numbers for the Coiltek, basstrackerman.  Thanks.

I preordered one weeks ago and can't wait for my dealer to get them in and sent to me so I can start putting it through the paces. IMO, it's an accessory that's been needed in the Equinox arsenal, and I for one will use the hell out of it. I love my 6" coil, but I work a lot of trashy areas that need that seperation and a little extra coverage at the same time. To me, it's another useful tool in the bag and I'll make whatever compensations, if necessary, to use the right tool for the job, just like I do with all my tools. Maybe the 5X10" coil isn't for everybody (how many things are?) but I'll be happy to give it a go.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

May not be splitting the difference but now we are definitely splitting hairs, lol! 

We are still talking about a 3.3 oz max difference between the Vanquish and ML coils and the Coiltek lies in between the two at 2.5 oz heavier than the Vanquish and .8 oz lighter than the Nox 11".  So sue me. Lol.

Like I said, Coiltek did not specify whether the weight was with or without cover and I acknowledged that. 

You didn't say it but I am assuming all your measurements are without coil cover.  That is great to actually have the confirmation of the Coiltek weight is without cover (if that is the case).

Vanquish 10x7 = 12.7 oz w/o CC and 14.1 oz w/ CC

Coiltek 10x5 = 15.2 oz w/o CC and ?? oz w/CC

ML 11" round = 16 oz w/o CC and 18 oz. w/CC

The most relevant weight comparison would be WITH coil covers for all three coils because who knows how dense the Coiltek cover is.  Won't change things too much because the spread only widens from 3.3 oz to 3.9 oz with the covers accounted for, but that would be great information if you have those numbers for the Coiltek, basstrackerman.  Thanks.

I do not know if the coiltek 5x10 is without cover.  I was quoting you on your weights.  But changed them to ounces.  I did weigh my stock 11" without cover. 

53 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

I do not know if the coiltek 5x10 is without cover.  I was quoting you on your weights.  But changed them to ounces.  I did weigh my stock 11" without cover. 

:rolleyes:

Then if the Coiltek weight is with cover it could be biased towards the Vanquish coil weight with cover, which was the point I made previously. 

SMH.  Thought you had actual Coiltek weight data btman.  Lol.  Thanks anyway.  Still talking on the order of only a couple of oz no matter how you stack it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I get what you are saying when you state the 10x5 weighs almost as much as the 11" On the other hand, I say the 10x5 weighs 3 oz less.  The 10x5 literally splits the weight difference between the Vanquish 10x7 and the NOX 11".   Your take is ML and Coiltek not "getting it right", and I see Coiltek offering a lighter coil with almost the same coverage as the 11" round.  By splitting it down the middle it is easy to have different takes on what is going on here with these new coils.

What is clear is that the 11" coil is definitely optimized for Equinox (almost as if Equinox was designed to operate optimally around that coil).  The 6" and 15x12" are suboptimal from a form factor and/or performance standpoint.  They have specific uses (tight spaces, pinpoint use in high target density areas, or great swing coverage) but also suffer from downsides including swing coverage (6") and weight/ground noise amplification (15x12) and are therefore situational at best.  No coil I have seen has significantly beat the 11" on depth AND on small target sensitivity.  I do think the 10X5 is also simply a situational coil (but a coil I would use in A LOT more situatations than the 6" round), because it will likely have noticeably less depth performance than the stock.  I think most people want the combo of depth performance and swing coverage the 11" offers and that is why ML gravitated there.  There is no denying, however, the more choices when it comes to coils, the better, no matter how you slice it.  So in that sense I think Coiltek is getting it right, provided the performance proves to be there with the user reports start coming in.  JMO though.

They seem to at least be reading the posts. I’ll keep making my argument and suggestion. You can counterpoint it all you want : )

From some of my other posts and that of others, there definitely could be better balance for some without having to add 16oz to the back end. Reducing a smaller amount of weight from the right end of the detector would have same effect. I’d even take a 8x5 a la Garrett or 9x5 or so if it gives it the right balance while offering some reasonable coverage and maneuverability. That’s the coil and solution I want.  

Fisher seems to have some sort of lighter density material to reduce weight now. Not everyone needs a weighted coil for the water. Heck, I’ll run it without the cover if it feels better. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

They seem to at least be reading the posts. I’ll keep making my argument and suggestion. You can counterpoint it all you want : )

From some of my other posts and that of others, there definitely could be better balance for some without having to add 16oz to the back end. Reducing a smaller amount of weight from the right end of the detector would have same effect. I’d even take a 8x5 a la Garrett or 9x5 or so if it gives it the right balance while offering some reasonable coverage and maneuverability. That’s the coil and solution I want.  

Fisher seems to have some sort of lighter density material to reduce weight now. Not everyone needs a weighted coil for the water. Heck, I’ll run it without the cover if it feels better. 

You're right of course.  It's hard to argue with your push for a lighter coil, who wouldn't want that.  My point was that the delta was small as far as the 10x5 was concerned versus their other "mid-sized" elliptical which weighs more than the 15" round (!).  But hey, if you don't ask, you certainly won't get what want, so hopefully they are indeed listening.  GL and HH.

• Like 1

Yes, I really like it. I did get to dig one deeper wheatie (probably only 8")so that was ok. The lighter weight was nice. I like the length, I was able to move along fine. We all knew it would separate good. It'll just take time to give it a better evaluation but for now I'm happy I have it.

Just my thoughts from today's hunt.

Thanks, Tom

• Like 7