Coiltek 5x10 On The Way

Tom,

THANKS for the report.  Sounds good so far.

What I want to know about this coil are two things -- one, is it ANY deeper than the 6" (an 8" deep wheatie is a good sign), and just as important, if not more, does it do any better at IDing square nails properly.  My Minelab 6" coil is more prone than the 11" coil to give a good, coin-like read on certain square nails.  While the 11" does this, also, as do other machines of course (square nails are difficult, in this regard), but the Minelab 6 seems ESPECIALLY prone to this, for me.  In fact, for me, this trait of the Minelab 6 is such that any possible improvements in separation are completely negated (for me) when working in a square-nail-littered site.  I would expect that in more "modern" trash, that the smaller size of the 6" would provide separation benefits, but I bought it SPECIFICALLY for a couple of sites in PA that have given up some good finds, but are full of square nails.  And that coil has proven to be of little if any benefit in those sites, due to the coil's increased affinity for square nails...

SO -- if Coiltek offers improvement in that area, without any depth loss vs. the MInelab 6", then I'll jump on board.

Last thing I'll say, is, this (greater affinity for square nails) may just be a trait of smaller (round) coils in general, I'm not sure; I don't use small coils that often.  But,  I recall back when swinging a Minelab Explorer, that I got a 6" SunRay coil, and that coil behaved similarly.  That coil was plenty deep, but was more prone to giving coin-type audio/ID on certain square nails, than the stock Explorer coil. 

As I said, I don't use smaller coils often, and the ones I have used for the most part have been round ones (I have VERY little time with a small elliptical).  Perhaps a small elliptical behaves a bit differently with square nails, than a small round coil?  Bottom line, I am VERY interested in any reports from anyone who runs the new Coiltek 5x10 in a site where they are trying to pick out non-ferrous targets from amongst square nails, specifically...

Steve

• Like 2

Initially I wasn’t planning to get the elliptical coil 5x10 because I have my 600 with the 11” coil, and my other 600 with the 6” coil. But then I began thinking

( uh oh) I go out armed with only one detector at a time, and when it’s with the 6” coil, I’m limited to the iron infested home site areas and disinclined to venture beyond with the tiny footprint of the 6” coil. 
But with the 5x10 elliptical, I can hit the iron infested area and also meander beyond because I don’t feel like I’m painting a wall with a tiny paint brush. 
so I have mine pre ordered due to ship in jabout a week. After I use it a while, I’ll decide whether or not to sell the 6” coil. I’m not a fan of having extra unmounted coils. The 5x10 would simply replace the 6”

• Like 5

relicmeister -- you, up there in PA dealing with square-nail-littered sites, will be the PERFECT test case, for what I'm curious about.  I'll look forward to your report as to whether you think the 5x10 handles square nails better (more correctly IDs them as iron, more often) vs. the 6"...or at least gives better "clues," in that regard...

Steve

• Like 3

4 hours ago, relicmeister said:

Initially I wasn’t planning to get the elliptical coil 5x10 because I have my 600 with the 11” coil, and my other 600 with the 6” coil. But then I began thinking

( uh oh) I go out armed with only one detector at a time, and when it’s with the 6” coil, I’m limited to the iron infested home site areas and disinclined to venture beyond with the tiny footprint of the 6” coil. 
But with the 5x10 elliptical, I can hit the iron infested area and also meander beyond because I don’t feel like I’m painting a wall with a tiny paint brush. 
so I have mine pre ordered due to ship in jabout a week. After I use it a while, I’ll decide whether or not to sell the 6” coil. I’m not a fan of having extra unmounted coils. The 5x10 would simply replace the 6”

Just buy a third 600 for the 5x10.  Then you'll have most of your bases covered.

Actually, I think once you have the 5x10, you won't need the 6" anymore.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Badger-NH said:

Just buy a third 600 for the 5x10.  Then you'll have most of your bases covered.

Actually, I think once you have the 5x10, you won't need the 6" anymore.

Badger-NH, I'm giving my 6" coil to my son. He's only got the 11" so this will give him a small coil when he needs one. It's going to take some time using the 5x10 before I get to know it and what it can or can't do but first impressions are good. I think you're right about it replacing the 6" at least for me it will or I should say it has.lol

• Like 3

I was playing around last night doing air tests with the 5x10. I told you in an earlier post about the wheat penny I dug around 8" and it did tell me it was there. That was ok but the signal was very weak and that bothered me. I run 7 on my recovery speed pretty much all the time and have no problem digging coins 10" with the 11"coil. What I found with the 5x10 is that it likes a recovery speed of 5 and that increased the depth right at 2" more. A 4 recovery speed didn't help and actually I don't think was as good as 5 which seemed to be the best. I got a barber quarter with it last night but it was only about 5". First silver with the 5x10.  I'll keep hunting with it and see if that 5 recovery speed can get me a deeper coin.  Just a little more info on the 5x10. Tom

Message_1616454534737.jpg

Message_1616454556198.jpg

• Like 7

How is it at pinpointing in pinpointing mode?  

Do you use wiggle method?   And if so, is center of coil best or at edges were the two Ds intersect?

Thanks for your insights and nice find. It will be interesting to see how much depth is given up over the 11” or sensitivity and unmasking over the 6” and if it proves to be a good all rounder coil. I feel a coil this size could potentially be more versatile as a stock coil on something like the Equinox or Simplex and still provide good results for most.  And perhaps a little lighter making a better balanced detector out of the box : )

That's a beaut Tom!!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nickeldNdimed said:

How is it at pinpointing in pinpointing mode?  

Do you use wiggle method?   And if so, is center of coil best or at edges were the two Ds intersect?

Thanks for your insights and nice find. It will be interesting to see how much depth is given up over the 11” or sensitivity and unmasking over the 6” and if it proves to be a good all rounder coil. I feel a coil this size could potentially be more versatile as a stock coil on something like the Equinox or Simplex and still provide good results for most.  And perhaps a little lighter making a better balanced detector out of the box : )

I almost always wiggle off the target unless its a deeper target and them I'll use the pin point to verify the location is where it's supposed to be. 

• Like 3