we will see. thank you

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all. Just reading the comments and I can assure you that the coils are out and performing well. On sale date was 3rd March.  We are working hard to get orders supplied from around the globe. it’s

Tomorrow! 

The CoilTek coils fill in the specialized situational capability  gaps between the 3 ML coil offerings.  They are not do it all coils like the ML 11” stock coil, but have specific strengths for certai

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

palzynski stated here it was 400 with the coil cover and 360 without.  Coiltek stated the 5x10 was 426g but did not state whether that was with or without cover, I assumed that is with the cover but could be wrong.  Guess we'll see what the answer is when someone actually measures it.  That means the 10x5 can weigh anywhere from 1 oz to 3 oz more than the 7x10 Vanquish coils.  The Coiltek coils are generally heavier from a weight to coverage ratio than the ML coils as I racked out in the link below, so point taken.  But it is still a relatively small delta compared to say the difference between the 15" round and the 12x15".

You may be right but just here hoping. At the moment I’m not too compelled to jump on this coil. The shape would be nice in some cases for me but the weight reduction and better balance would definitely be a delighter that may tip me over to making a purchase. 

I think the 11” round on the Equinox seemed to be more “marketing and who has a big coil out of box and depth” than the better option for most situations, do it all coil that say a 10x5-6” coil would be. And then you take a nose heaviness penalty. I guess I am disappointed that the SP24 Fir the Simplex and this Coiltek 10x6 for the Equinox both weigh about as much as the stock 11”. 

Maybe the next Minelab, Nokta, Garrett, or even Fisher iteration will get this right...

40 minutes ago, nickeldNdimed said:

I think the 11” round on the Equinox seemed to be more “marketing and who has a big coil out of box and depth” than the better option for most situations, do it all coil that say a 10x5-6” coil would be.

I get what you are saying when you state the 10x5 weighs almost as much as the 11" On the other hand, I say the 10x5 weighs 3 oz less.  The 10x5 literally splits the weight difference between the Vanquish 10x7 and the NOX 11".   Your take is ML and Coiltek not "getting it right", and I see Coiltek offering a lighter coil with almost the same coverage as the 11" round.  By splitting it down the middle it is easy to have different takes on what is going on here with these new coils.

What is clear is that the 11" coil is definitely optimized for Equinox (almost as if Equinox was designed to operate optimally around that coil).  The 6" and 15x12" are suboptimal from a form factor and/or performance standpoint.  They have specific uses (tight spaces, pinpoint use in high target density areas, or great swing coverage) but also suffer from downsides including swing coverage (6") and weight/ground noise amplification (15x12) and are therefore situational at best.  No coil I have seen has significantly beat the 11" on depth AND on small target sensitivity.  I do think the 10X5 is also simply a situational coil (but a coil I would use in A LOT more situatations than the 6" round), because it will likely have noticeably less depth performance than the stock.  I think most people want the combo of depth performance and swing coverage the 11" offers and that is why ML gravitated there.  There is no denying, however, the more choices when it comes to coils, the better, no matter how you slice it.  So in that sense I think Coiltek is getting it right, provided the performance proves to be there with the user reports start coming in.  JMO though.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I get what you are saying when you state the 10x5 weighs almost as much as the 11" On the other hand, I say the 10x5 weighs 3 oz less.  The 10x5 literally splits the weight difference between the Vanquish 10x7 and the NOX 11".   Your take is ML and Coiltek not "getting it right", and I see Coiltek offering a lighter coil with almost the same coverage as the 11" round.  By splitting it down the middle it is easy to have different takes on what is going on here with these new coils.

What is clear is that the 11" coil is definitely optimized for Equinox (almost as if Equinox was designed to operate optimally around that coil).  The 6" and 15x12" are suboptimal from a form factor and/or performance standpoint.  They have specific uses (tight spaces, pinpoint use in high target density areas, or great swing coverage) but also suffer from downsides including swing coverage (6") and weight/ground noise amplification (15x12) and are therefore situational at best.  No coil I have seen has significantly beat the 11" on depth AND on small target sensitivity.  I do think the 10X5 is also simply a situational coil (but a coil I would use in A LOT more situatations than the 6" round), because it will likely have noticeably less depth performance than the stock.  I think most people want the combo of depth performance and swing coverage the 11" offers and that is why ML gravitated there.  There is no denying, however, the more choices when it comes to coils, the better, no matter how you slice it.  So in that sense I think Coiltek is getting it right, provided the performance proves to be there with the user reports start coming in.  JMO though.

The 5x10 weighs 15.2 oz. My minelab stock coil weighs exactly 16oz without cover.  It's very close to the stock coil in weight.  The 7x10 Vanquish coil weighs 12.7oz.  Not really a split lol

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

The 5x10 weighs 15.2 oz. My minelab stock coil weighs exactly 16oz without cover.  It's very close to the stock coil in weight.  The 7x10 Vanquish coil weighs 12.7oz.  Not really a split lol

May not be splitting the difference but now we are definitely splitting hairs, lol! 

We are still talking about a 3.3 oz max difference between the Vanquish and ML coils and the Coiltek lies in between the two at 2.5 oz heavier than the Vanquish and .8 oz lighter than the Nox 11".  So sue me. Lol.

Like I said, Coiltek did not specify whether the weight was with or without cover and I acknowledged that. 

You didn't say it but I am assuming all your measurements are without coil cover.  That is great to actually have the confirmation of the Coiltek weight is without cover (if that is the case).

Vanquish 10x7 = 12.7 oz w/o CC and 14.1 oz w/ CC

Coiltek 10x5 = 15.2 oz w/o CC and ?? oz w/CC

ML 11" round = 16 oz w/o CC and 18 oz. w/CC

The most relevant weight comparison would be WITH coil covers for all three coils because who knows how dense the Coiltek cover is.  Won't change things too much because the spread only widens from 3.3 oz to 3.9 oz with the covers accounted for, but that would be great information if you have those numbers for the Coiltek, basstrackerman.  Thanks.

I preordered one weeks ago and can't wait for my dealer to get them in and sent to me so I can start putting it through the paces. IMO, it's an accessory that's been needed in the Equinox arsenal, and I for one will use the hell out of it. I love my 6" coil, but I work a lot of trashy areas that need that seperation and a little extra coverage at the same time. To me, it's another useful tool in the bag and I'll make whatever compensations, if necessary, to use the right tool for the job, just like I do with all my tools. Maybe the 5X10" coil isn't for everybody (how many things are?) but I'll be happy to give it a go.

• Like 4
35 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

May not be splitting the difference but now we are definitely splitting hairs, lol! 

We are still talking about a 3.3 oz max difference between the Vanquish and ML coils and the Coiltek lies in between the two at 2.5 oz heavier than the Vanquish and .8 oz lighter than the Nox 11".  So sue me. Lol.

Like I said, Coiltek did not specify whether the weight was with or without cover and I acknowledged that. 

You didn't say it but I am assuming all your measurements are without coil cover.  That is great to actually have the confirmation of the Coiltek weight is without cover (if that is the case).

Vanquish 10x7 = 12.7 oz w/o CC and 14.1 oz w/ CC

Coiltek 10x5 = 15.2 oz w/o CC and ?? oz w/CC

ML 11" round = 16 oz w/o CC and 18 oz. w/CC

The most relevant weight comparison would be WITH coil covers for all three coils because who knows how dense the Coiltek cover is.  Won't change things too much because the spread only widens from 3.3 oz to 3.9 oz with the covers accounted for, but that would be great information if you have those numbers for the Coiltek, basstrackerman.  Thanks.

I do not know if the coiltek 5x10 is without cover.  I was quoting you on your weights.  But changed them to ounces.  I did weigh my stock 11" without cover. 

53 minutes ago, basstrackerman said:

I do not know if the coiltek 5x10 is without cover.  I was quoting you on your weights.  But changed them to ounces.  I did weigh my stock 11" without cover. 

:rolleyes:

Then if the Coiltek weight is with cover it could be biased towards the Vanquish coil weight with cover, which was the point I made previously. 

SMH.  Thought you had actual Coiltek weight data btman.  Lol.  Thanks anyway.  Still talking on the order of only a couple of oz no matter how you stack it.

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

They seem to at least be reading the posts. I’ll keep making my argument and suggestion. You can counterpoint it all you want : )

From some of my other posts and that of others, there definitely could be better balance for some without having to add 16oz to the back end. Reducing a smaller amount of weight from the right end of the detector would have same effect. I’d even take a 8x5 a la Garrett or 9x5 or so if it gives it the right balance while offering some reasonable coverage and maneuverability. That’s the coil and solution I want.  

Fisher seems to have some sort of lighter density material to reduce weight now. Not everyone needs a weighted coil for the water. Heck, I’ll run it without the cover if it feels better. 

• Like 2