How Much Gold Has Been Mined

Haven't checked out everything that  " ultimate list of gold facts " but near the beginning ,

#14. It takes a special mixture of 1 part nitric acid and 3 parts sulfuric acid, called aqua regia, to dissolve gold.

Does not ring true , aqua regia is nitric acid & hydrochloric acid .

But I have also found that there are more things / combination of things that will dissolve gold  .   

Glad to have the site back , was worried for a couple weeks 😉

• 2 months later...

https://www.gold-eagle.com/chinese-gold-imports-from-hong-kong-hit-5-month-high 

This import of  34.786 tonnes is over 1 million troy ounces.

• Thanks 1

"All of the gold discovered thus far would fit in a cube that is 28 meters wide on every side."  -USGS

https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-much-gold-has-been-found-world?qt-news_science_products=0#qt-news_science_products

• Like 1

7 hours ago, geof_junk said:

Gold found is more than 13.6 billion ounces.

World population nearly 8 billion.

Have you got your share, being nearly 1.7 ounces or 53 grams.

Interesting that the announced total amount of gold (in ozt) mined to date is almost exactly the current best determined age of the universe in years (13.8 billion years).  Thus, on average an ounce of gold has been mined on the (insignificant rock called) Earth each year since the Big Bang.  :biggrin:

Those of you who find an ounce of native gold in a year are contributing to the harmony of the universe.  That's one more reason to enjoy this pasttime.  And I bet you never thought of yourself as so important on such a grand scale!

• Haha 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh my! 1