Finished grid searching the farmhouse today. Last couple of days I spent working on my RV. Found some interesting stuff, more of those brass beads or rollers (they are indented but not hollow), an odd button that looks like a center-fire cartridge end but isn't. It has a stamp but it's very corroded. Has a single shank in back, may not even be a button. 4 aluminum buttons, one had traces of blue paint, the other 3 are like the others I dug, 6 total. Surprised I didn't find the shirt. A small octagonal tag that reads "E. F. & BRO."

Next is a bronze pin, I have no idea what it is for. Gold plated pocket watch plate, reads "patent pinion". Another pewter foot and a small box keyhole.

Got 1 more corroded Indian head, an 187-something. A 1940 wheat, and a 1925.

This makes 6 wheat pennies, 8 IHPs, one Trime, and one mercury dime at this site. I went back to where I found the silver but found nothing. Best coin haul ever for me, not the last I hope. Got "something" gold anyway! (plated) 😁

20210313_185633.jpg

20210313_183303.jpg

20210313_181808.jpg

• Like 7

Nice finds again, and now where are you going to.

I think I would be going back over some of the same areas again just to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

There has to be more where you are at.

Good luck and happy digging.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice finds again, and now where are you going to.

I think I would be going back over some of the same areas again just to make sure that I didn't miss anything.

There has to be more where you are at.

Good luck and happy digging.

Thanks! I know this isn't very impressive.

I have some places in reserve, last two were never gone over by anyone due to the farm being there. Two are deep in the woods. One is really hard to get to.

Thinking of checking out this old farmhouse at the end of my road. There is one more in the immediate area where I found that old brass plate but there is not a lot of iron there, they may have done a really good job cleaning it up. It was a big house taken down in the 70s.

Off to the shore in a little while, going to try my hand at beach detecting.

• Like 2

That is a descent haul. This is a good time for woods hunting before all the under growth starts popping up. Look for any trails and low lying areas.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LoraRose said:

Wow, you are very lucky to find so many things!

Gotta say it's not so much luck as location. My area was settled in the mid 1600s and has remained a traditional rural farm area.

I got lucky at first to have all this land out my front door - about 400 acres - but now I'm researching and using maps and aerial photography to find locations in my permissions to zero in on. There is a lot of river to cover as well when I get a permit for that.

I could just walk around and still find stuff, but the large amount comes from setting up a grid search.

Welcome to the forum! 🙂

F350 I live in a rural area. I found that there is some hidden gems to be found by looking at old parish/shire maps. They show old schools, churches, horse race tracks, town common, picnic grounds and small hamlets that have been lost to history. Some of my maps showed up small farms and their homes, and water wells that have been shallowed up by bigger farms and no visual signs of them. Hope this gives you some help in identifying and pinpointing your opportunities.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, geof_junk said:

F350 I live in a rural area. I found that there is some hidden gems to be found by looking at old parish/shire maps. They show old schools, churches, horse race tracks, town common, picnic grounds and small hamlets that have been lost to history. Some of my maps showed up small farms and their homes, and water wells that have been shallowed up by bigger farms and no visual signs of them. Hope this gives you some help in identifying and pinpointing your opportunities.  

I have yet to go to the county courthouse to get more info. Currently I'm using USGS maps that date back to 1917, and historicaerials.com which has aerial photos back to 1967. Luckily a lot of the houses that the '17 maps show (USGS noted locations of dwellings back then) weren't gone 50 years later.

The county will have records of who owned much of this area back to the mid 1600s, and maybe more info about what I can't see from aerials. It will also give me an idea as to what was going on.

A lot of what has helped is local word of mouth from families that have been here a long time. 

• Like 3