Explorer Xs

Anyone know what this is?

23296601317948cmer.JPG

7 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Sun Ray target probe. Basically a 1” coil used as a pinpointer, but with full detector disc functions. Made for various brands, but I do not think they are making them any longer. https://www.sunraydetector.com

https://www.ebay.com/b/sunray-probe/bn_7024860537

I saw this for sale with Explorer XS detector. Not sure if it’s worth pursuing?

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Once upon a time an Explorer with a Sun Ray probe was the ticket to silver.

I’m not much of a coin shooter these days. Looks heavy.

They were highly sought after in the day.  Loved mine I had on a XS-2A Pro.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

4 hours ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

They were highly sought after in the day.  Loved mine I had on a XS-2A Pro.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

What’s the value these days as it is?

The X-1 probe.  Got one on my etrac and after Sunray quit making them they shot up in price when the etrac and explorers were still top of the heap in coin shooters (still way up there imo).  Story I heard was Minelab quit selling the upper shaft to Sunray(?).  There were 2 versions I'm aware of, the short version and the long version (shown above). The used X-1 price after they quit making them was as high as about $300 if you could find one.  Beauty of the pin pointer probe was it ran off of whatever your detector was set at as far as disc or mode, etc..  I always found just using my handheld PP'er was easier and faster than the X-1.  However...the X-1 makes it real fast to swap coils which was always a real PITA at least with the etrac.  Glad I have one when it comes to swapping coils but other than that for my coin shooting style, I'll stick with the handheld PP'er.......   jmo's

• Like 3

If you just search SOLDS on eBay you can see they are still selling anywhere from $30.00 to $250.00.  I would say they are still viable.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

That is the beauty of the probe - and any coil for the FBS machines... they are interchangeable between the Etrac, all Explorers, and Safari's.  I sold my Etrac with the probe a few years back (still not sure why)... and just bought a probe for my Explorer... heavy... yes... but even with the Equinox in the #1 slot... still a lot of fun to swing (had my Explorer II with probe out today and found a Tiffany Silver Pendant :)).  I would say the probes are still in the $200+ range in value to someone looking for one.  Just my thoughts ~Tim