Tarsacci Questions

I am used to the DEUS and different programs.....Default settings....is there such a thing with the Tarsacci? I now know what I have to do in the red dirt, kind of 🙂 but what settings would I use in the soft sandy soil of this part of VA for relic hunting?  

Question 2, the pinpoint mode comes up with VDI numbers, is there a scale of what they mean?? I saw a video indicating that they could refer to the depth of the target? 

Thanks for the help! 

Dig2gld

I to seen the video that the numbers relate to the depth but I guess I need to write it down.

Chuck 

PS I just remembered it wasn’t a video. I’ll try to hunt it up.

I had explained the TARSACCI target depth in relation to the VDI numbers when doing my field test videos with the BEAST coil. However, because of the considerable depth gained with the BEAST coil, these VDI numbers are not the same with the stock 11x9” coil. I’ve posted the stock coil figures on TARSACCI Forums somewhere. 
I suggest my first BEAST coil video, and especially the head to head videos with the stock coil.....

Aaron

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dug2gld said:

I am used to the DEUS and different programs.....Default settings....is there such a thing with the Tarsacci? I now know what I have to do in the red dirt, kind of 🙂 but what settings would I use in the soft sandy soil of this part of VA for relic hunting?  

Question 2, the pinpoint mode comes up with VDI numbers, is there a scale of what they mean?? I saw a video indicating that they could refer to the depth of the target? 

Thanks for the help! 

12 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Dig2gld

I to seen the video that the numbers relate to the depth but I guess I need to write it down.

Chuck 

PS I just remembered it wasn’t a video. I’ll try to hunt it up.

Ok not sure what Ridge Runner is talking about but it has nothing to do with your question and he doesn't own a Tarsacci yet.  Aaron seems to have latched on to Ridge Runner's statement and is answering an unrelated question regarding VDI and depth (but not during pinpoint mode)

Anyway, let me answer your second question first - the VDI numbers you see during pinpointing (according to the Tarsacci manual) have nothing to do with VDI or depth, they simply provide a relative numerical signal intensity that accompanies the audio to provide audio and visual cues that you are centered over the target (when the numbers and audio numbers max out).  That's all there is to it.  I don't even pay attention to the numbers when pinpointing and just rely on the very responsive audio to center the coil on target.  If Aaron or anyone has anything to add regarding pinpoint mode - please chime in but nothing else is documented in the manual.  I am not familiar with the video to which you are referring Dug2gld.

Regarding your first question - no there are no pre-programmed modes or default settings for different detecting situations or for general purpose detecting like Deus or Equinox.  On the other hand, the setup is pretty straight forward.  You only control operating frequency (4 choices), level of discrimination, audio mode (All Metal, Disc, or Mixed).  In Disc mode you have just 3 fixed tones (no adjustments) other than how disc/notch affects the ability to hear the tones in Disc or Mixed mode.  Besides those adjustments, there is threshold, sensitivity, and ground balance and salt balance (plus black sand filter on/off).  When it comes to those settings, it gets a little complicated because you have to integrate those settings together and they are very situation dependent based on soil conditions and other factors that affect stability.  For land hunting, setting things like salinity balance becomes a little more trial and error.  The Tarsacci is not difficult to set up but frankly, your best bet is to do some online research regarding these more subjective settings.  

For mild dirt there are no magic bullets because the detector is no better than any capable VLF such as the Equinox or Deus.  As a result, I rarely use it under those conditions so I cannot recommend optimal settings but I can recommend a starting point:  Set frequency consistent with your desired target objective and EMI (lower towards 6 khz for high conductors, higher towards 18 khz for mid-conductors, 9 or 12 khz to split the difference for general purpose hunting - or pick a frequency with minimal noise if EMI is an issue), Set Threshold = 0. Sensitivity as high as you can run while keeping the detector stable, if you have to lower Sensitivity too far (say less than 7, consider reducing Threshold to -1 or -2).  Select your preferred audio mode (All Metal, Disc, or Mixed - personal preference).  Set disc as desired.  I like to run with disc at -30 if the ground is clean or 0 if there is a lot of iron and then use mixed mode to differentiate between ferrous and non-ferrous - but that is just me in relic hunt mode in hot ground).  Ground Balance and then set salt at a level where you get minimal noise when pumping the coil AFTER you have ground balanced.  Black Sand = Off.  

All that being said, here is the controversial stuff. 

The Tarsacci is a temperamental niche tool.  It does basically 2 things really well - salt beach hunting, hot dirt hunting.  The salt balance adjustment is amazing at setting up the machine to run stable under those two challenging ground conditions - but there is a little black magic involved in getting it optimally set- basically you need to get some hours on the machine to figure out how to set it optimally.  It has general purpose limitations that hold it back from being a do everything, versatile machine like an Equinox.  Being limited to 3 tones and fixed breakpoints it is very constraining to me.  I have found Target ID stability/repeatability to also be an issue in some situations.  The very fact that we are talking about different target VDI's depending on the coil used and target depth in the posts above is something that makes the Tarsacci a detector you have to spend a lot of time on to get used to its quirks.  Since it really brings nothing to the table in that regard, under normal or mild soil mineralization conditions versus an Equinox or Deus, means I am not going to deal with those Tarsacci quirks and limitations when I have better options. 

On the other hand, it, so far, cannot be touched by another VLF when it comes to identifying non-ferrous at maximum vlf depth under highly mineralized conditions (I am not a hard core beach hunter so cannot speak to its capabilities there, but am used to my Equinox and it does just fine for my limited beach hunting activities and I am proficient at using it under those conditions - hard core beach hunters swear by Tarsacci's capabilities on the beach similar to how I sing its praises in hot dirt).  Equinox comes close, but Tarsacci, basicially operating as a ferrous/non-ferrous discriminator at depth is my weapon of choice in extreme hot soil at this time.  But that is about ALL I use it for.  Is the value proposition worth it at $1400+ versus the Equinox I also own?  IMO, for me, based on the amount of hot dirt relic hunting I do, the answer is yes.  For maximum depth under those conditions, my primary detector would be the GPX.  If for some reason due to fatigue, back pain, bad weather, or just sheer frustration, I need a change of pace, then I will pull out the Tarsacci.  It won't get PI depth on targets in hot ground, but it is no slouch and I feel like I am only going to miss the really deep stuff, if I am swinging it.

So, unless you are trying to force yourself to learn the Tarsacci, if I had a Deus or Equinox in the truck, I would not be pulling out a Tarsacci over Deus or Equinox in sandy soil fields or parks or other forgiving detecting situations.  Especially if there is can slaw, iron junk, and if there is cotton or corn stubble.  This is due to  reasons cited above and target ID stability/repeatability in the presence of iron, some situations where I have experienced coil bump sensitivity, the inability to really discern can slaw from a solid brass target because the expression in the audio is not nuanced like it is on Deus and Equinox, and because of the limitations in tone customization (e.g., 50 tones, adjustable breaks, etc)  and other features like selectable recovery speed that are available on Deus and Equinox.  I know others who will vehemently disagree.  I have no axes to grind or agendas.  I like my Tarsacci for basically one reason and one task and that is all it comes down to.  Not a criticism, just my opinion born of experience.  

HTH

• Like 1

He had ask when in pinpointer what did the ID numbers mean . 
 Somewhere Aaron shows what each number means in relation to depth. If I remember correctly the lower your number the deeper the target.

He was asking this on his first post. That was what I was trying to find for him.

Chuck 

• Like 2

Posted by Aaron on the Tarsacci forum when pinpointing ID numbers mean.

60+ surface to2”

50-40 3-5”

40-30 6-7”

30-20 7-8”

20-10 9-10”

10-1  11”+

So said Aaron.

Chuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

60+ surface to2”

50-40 3-5”

40-30 6-7”

30-20 7-8”

20-10 9-10”

10-1  11”+

So said Aaron.

Chuck 

Thanks Chuck for digging that up..  In a relic field I'm just pinpointing and pulling a plug.  I wonder how the Tarsacci knows depth that precisely for all target types, soil conditions, and regardless of what coil is attached.  Have never trusted nor paid attention to depth indicators on detectors.  All I want is pinpoint responsiveness and accuracy (which the Tarsacci pp does have) , but thanks again for doing the research and going beyond the sparse info in the tech manual.  Much appreciated.  Have you pulled the trigger on your birthday present yet?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

60+ surface to2”

50-40 3-5”

40-30 6-7”

30-20 7-8”

20-10 9-10”

10-1  11”+

So said Aaron.

Chuck 

Yep, that’s it👍

• Like 1

Chuck, 

As with any machine and it’s stock coil (with which it is calibrated too), those pinpoint/depth numbers are going to change with a a lot bigger coil, as is the case with the with the new BEAST coil. I only just did my first dig yesterday, soooo....give me awhile, I’ll figure the  BEAST coils pinpoint/depth numbers and post those too....😉

THX

HH! Aaron

• Thanks 1