Anyone Tried The AQ In Land ?

I think of those places which have been frequented for centuries and centuries and which are often overloaded with iron.

we necessarily leave good things there because of the masking, could the AQ pass through this iron in a certain way?

if so, what would that be for gold and low conductor? we lost a sestertius or a silver denario I suppose?

Since it is not in europe can anyone try these sites? alexander? the jag?

• Like 1

I thought the AQ might be able to handle hunting gold nuggets in low mineral ground. However, the lack of ground balance control meant it was reactive to the ground and hot rocks, even at what I'd consider a low mineral location. This required moving the coil at a snail's pace to allow the retune circuit to keep up. Only good in a tiny area at best. The only other solution was to use volcanic mode, but then my faith in the gold getting ability declined so much, I thought it not worth the time and effort. Bottom line is I sold the AQ and am waiting on the Impulse Gold, as it appears the Gold version with ground balance control, will be the better inland hunter by far. That version, however, may have no ferrous discrimination at all, other than typical ground balance PI tone type indications.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I thought the AQ might be able to handle hunting gold nuggets in low mineral ground. However, the lack of ground balance control meant it was reactive to the ground and hot rocks, even at what I'd consider a low mineral location. This required moving the coil at a snail's pace to allow the retune circuit to keep up. Only good in a tiny area at best. The only other solution was to use volcanic mode, but then my faith in the gold getting ability declined so much, I thought it not worth the time and effort. Bottom line is I sold the AQ and am waiting on the Impulse Gold, as it appears the Gold version with ground balance control, will be the better inland hunter by far. That version, however, may have no ferrous discrimination at all, other than typical ground balance PI tone type indications.

I did the same thing at an inland village site. Because the GPX can not operate in coin/relic mode, as it react to the ground with even the slightest swing speed, I decided to try the AQ, but it did the same thing. I also found volcanic mode to be usable, but felt I was losing too much depth (even though it was unproven). I may revisit it again looking for very tiny brass beads. Maybe it works more than I thought, but probably not nearly enough for the deep items I was hoping for. I too am looking forward to the gold version to see if it will work in that soil. Since the GPX 6000 doesn't sound like it will be what I want (also unproven 😄), I would possibly gamble, price dependent, on the AQ gold.

Thank you for your answers but I wasn't thinking of hunting for nuggets or hunting in difficult soils.

but well in the hunt for the relic and old coins in a ground which contains a lot of iron detritus.

I don't seem to have read anything about it.

Given that the AQ is also sold to see through the iron, there must necessarily be people who think of going to try plots filled with iron which have produced beautiful things with the vlf?

I understand you would not be using the machine to look for gold nuggets. I thought that commentary on low mineral performance would be helpful - as I said, I specifically was not hunting difficult ground just to see if the machine would be useful off the beach. In my opinion, it is not, and anyone buying one thinking so is going to be very disappointed. 

• Like 1

Should be good on land for gold jewelry. Might have to turn sensitivity down to not go so deep.