I think of those places which have been frequented for centuries and centuries and which are often overloaded with iron.

we necessarily leave good things there because of the masking, could the AQ pass through this iron in a certain way?

if so, what would that be for gold and low conductor? we lost a sestertius or a silver denario I suppose?

Since it is not in europe can anyone try these sites? alexander? the jag?

• Like 1

I thought the AQ might be able to handle hunting gold nuggets in low mineral ground. However, the lack of ground balance control meant it was reactive to the ground and hot rocks, even at what I'd consider a low mineral location. This required moving the coil at a snail's pace to allow the retune circuit to keep up. Only good in a tiny area at best. The only other solution was to use volcanic mode, but then my faith in the gold getting ability declined so much, I thought it not worth the time and effort. Bottom line is I sold the AQ and am waiting on the Impulse Gold, as it appears the Gold version with ground balance control, will be the better inland hunter by far. That version, however, may have no ferrous discrimination at all, other than typical ground balance PI tone type indications.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I thought the AQ might be able to handle hunting gold nuggets in low mineral ground. However, the lack of ground balance control meant it was reactive to the ground and hot rocks, even at what I'd consider a low mineral location. This required moving the coil at a snail's pace to allow the retune circuit to keep up. Only good in a tiny area at best. The only other solution was to use volcanic mode, but then my faith in the gold getting ability declined so much, I thought it not worth the time and effort. Bottom line is I sold the AQ and am waiting on the Impulse Gold, as it appears the Gold version with ground balance control, will be the better inland hunter by far. That version, however, may have no ferrous discrimination at all, other than typical ground balance PI tone type indications.

I did the same thing at an inland village site. Because the GPX can not operate in coin/relic mode, as it react to the ground with even the slightest swing speed, I decided to try the AQ, but it did the same thing. I also found volcanic mode to be usable, but felt I was losing too much depth (even though it was unproven). I may revisit it again looking for very tiny brass beads. Maybe it works more than I thought, but probably not nearly enough for the deep items I was hoping for. I too am looking forward to the gold version to see if it will work in that soil. Since the GPX 6000 doesn't sound like it will be what I want (also unproven 😄), I would possibly gamble, price dependent, on the AQ gold.

Thank you for your answers but I wasn't thinking of hunting for nuggets or hunting in difficult soils.

but well in the hunt for the relic and old coins in a ground which contains a lot of iron detritus.

I don't seem to have read anything about it.

Given that the AQ is also sold to see through the iron, there must necessarily be people who think of going to try plots filled with iron which have produced beautiful things with the vlf?

I understand you would not be using the machine to look for gold nuggets. I thought that commentary on low mineral performance would be helpful - as I said, I specifically was not hunting difficult ground just to see if the machine would be useful off the beach. In my opinion, it is not, and anyone buying one thinking so is going to be very disappointed. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By w.j.mccrary
      Well,gents this is suppose to be  a very deep pulse beach & surf detector.Not much information on this beast.So here's some pictures. William

• By The_Stalker
      Received my catalog from Kellyco today and they proudly announced that they are looking forward to offering the Fisher Impulse AQ in 2022.  The write up that Kellyco gave made it sound like there was substantial discrimination with minimal loss of detection depth with the AQ.  We shall see.

• By Luis
      We have been told on several occasions that it was impossible to export the Aqua limited outside of the United States and now on the official page of Fisher I find this publication.  How is this possible?

• By tvr
      Was in Myrtle Beach for most of a week. Got the AQ well into the chop on this trip. I stayed in cuts between sand bars and the beach so the waves were not terrible and I was able to stay on my feet. Ran all metal all the time. It ran mostly quiet with ATS on 7, Sensitivity on 4, delay on 10. If I ran delay less than 10, each step lower got a good bit more noisy. ATS lower than 7 did not make for good hunting either. Still left lots of adjustment should I venture beyond the sand bar. Had the big coil on, did not take the 8 inch on this trip. The waves did make for an effort controlling the coil, but made it through without mishap. Did not go out detecting on Thursday when Elsa went through. Elsa seemed to mostly push some sand up on the beach in the area we were staying; that made the bottoms of the cuts softer than they were early in the week. That said, On Friday in a soft bottomed cut, had a fairly faint but repeatable signal that after four scoops became very loud and I got it on the fifth scoop. Nice little 2.3 gram 14K gold pendant.  

• By cudamark
      Sorry, I can't seem to find my previous thread on this subject. To recap, my AQ wouldn't power up, so, it was sent in to Fisher for repair. They claimed that it was the battery. I had my doubts, as I had tried a second battery with the same results. Anyway, they claimed it was only the battery and sent it back to me with a new one. On a side note, I had just sent the electronics back to them, and kept all the rods, cuff, and charger to save on shipping costs. Well, it seems they want EVERYTHING sent back when they do a repair. That's a first for me. They even told me that you shouldn't remove the arm cuff at all! It's something that they have to do, and not something the customer is capable of as it might damage the cable inside the rod.  Good grief, what a design. Anyway, when I got it back, I noticed that the cable from the battery to the pod had been changed. Hmmm, I wonder if that was really the problem and not the battery. Otherwise, why change it? Oh, you think they might have sent a new and improved one? Think again. I didn't think they could make that design any worse, but, they managed. It's even longer that the original, and wimpier IMO. And what is the problem with using 90 degree connectors to reduce the risk of cable damage? Well, it works now, so, I guess I can't complain too much, in fact, the new battery is a lot better than the original. The last hunt, I got over 3 1/2 hours on it and still had a green light! That's definitely an improvement. Now, if I can just find something good that my other detectors couldn't find!
    • By PPP
      Hi guys!
      I watched the treasuretalk on youtube for couple of days ago and Myer's metal detecting confirmed he is going to bring in AQ final edition in the shop next month in july! just wanted to ask others if it is true and anybody heared anything about it,Thanks!