Beach Hunting The Silver Patch Again

Love the on-going story and tallies.   Is it possible, that the next time you're there, can you get some location shots so that we have a feel for type location ?

There's a pocket cove beach near me "Lover's Point", where the sand never goes up or down more than a few feet.  D/t the cove is protected from the normal beach/swell erosion (wind/tides/swells) that normally dictate erosion for our normal ocean-facing beaches.   So there is never any way to know when the sand will be "down"  or "up" .  

And the "bedrock" depth at this beach, varies from 6 ft. deep on one end, to only ~3 ft. deep on the other end.   So when the sand is "down", some enterprising fellows (including myself) have got there and shovels out areas.  About as big as a billiard table, and the requisite 3 to 4-ish ft. deep, to reach this "bottom" bedrock layer.  And when we reach that, we start tossing out barbers, V's, wheaties, old sinkers, etc....  But that is HARD work , doh !   Also, after many years of doing this , we began to forget exactly where we'd dug before (or others had dug).  So it became increasingly frequent to come down on "dry holes".  Doh !   Or if you didn't plan  your tides right, your hole would fill in with water, stopping you from digging any deeper.

Your story sort of reminds me of this beach of ours.

• Like 2

Wow... Talk about perseverance! I looked that word up in the dictionary and your profile was next to it. But all kidding aside... kudos to you for leaving no iron unturned and thanks for the interesting story and pics.

• Like 1

Hats of to you Cap'n. I have a rough time in 35 degree weather, 23 in 20 mph wind on the shore has to be brutal. I'm close enough to the river that humidity gets sticky.

Fabulous finds, you earned 'em. 🏆

• Like 1

Smart thinkin' . Good hint for us all.  Impressive haul , as expected.

I actually hit a few stretches of sand myself last week during the 2 nice (above 40f)days we got before the ice curtain dropped back down. ,~9 hours worth ,,, a few pieces of junk and a quarter,,it was clad .

So I'm almost caught up with you ! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

• Like 1

Tom, I remember you guys talking about and doing that square patch digging down to bedrock way back when we were on Kinzli's.  Lots of years ago.  GaryC/Oregon Coast

5 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Love the on-going story and tallies.   Is it possible, that the next time you're there, can you get some location shots so that we have a feel for type location ?

There's a pocket cove beach near me "Lover's Point", where the sand never goes up or down more than a few feet.  D/t the cove is protected from the normal beach/swell erosion (wind/tides/swells) that normally dictate erosion for our normal ocean-facing beaches.   So there is never any way to know when the sand will be "down"  or "up" .  

And the "bedrock" depth at this beach, varies from 6 ft. deep on one end, to only ~3 ft. deep on the other end.   So when the sand is "down", some enterprising fellows (including myself) have got there and shovels out areas.  About as big as a billiard table, and the requisite 3 to 4-ish ft. deep, to reach this "bottom" bedrock layer.  And when we reach that, we start tossing out barbers, V's, wheaties, old sinkers, etc....  But that is HARD work , doh !   Also, after many years of doing this , we began to forget exactly where we'd dug before (or others had dug).  So it became increasingly frequent to come down on "dry holes".  Doh !   Or if you didn't plan  your tides right, your hole would fill in with water, stopping you from digging any deeper.

Your story sort of reminds me of this beach of ours.

I really do not want to take any shots of the beach, as there are enough things on it to ID it. If this was a private, member's eyes only forum, then I might do some shots. Anyone, anywhere (including my area) can view these posts. But I can tell you the beach is exposed directly to the ocean and is a rather slightly sloped beach from top to bottom. Going from left to right is a gamble, as I have found clay at 6" on one section, while the other section next to it, I have yet to hit clay, (so more than 24"). We generally have slight layers of light black sand and regular sand followed by cobble and fake bottom layers of rust colored pebbles. It can play havoc on VLF and multi machines, sometimes they go deep and sometimes being limited by the sand layers.  I also believe there are V's and maybe even Seated coins, as I found Barber, a V, and Indians there recently.

3 hours ago, okara gold said:

Wow... Talk about perseverance! I looked that word up in the dictionary and your profile was next to it. But all kidding aside... kudos to you for leaving no iron unturned and thanks for the interesting story and pics.

That's not true! If you look up Poor, you will find my picture next to it 😄 Iron needs to go, plus if anyone ever wants to ban detecting I can bring their iron and junk back to them.

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Hats of to you Cap'n. I have a rough time in 35 degree weather, 23 in 20 mph wind on the shore has to be brutal. I'm close enough to the river that humidity gets sticky.

Fabulous finds, you earned 'em. 🏆

Thanks. I did hide myself detecting in the area I was in.  It was freezing in the parking lot though.

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

Smart thinkin' . Good hint for us all.  Impressive haul , as expected.

I actually hit a few stretches of sand myself last week during the 2 nice (above 40f)days we got before the ice curtain dropped back down. ,~9 hours worth ,,, a few pieces of junk and a quarter,,it was clad .

So I'm almost caught up with you ! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh

Yep, you are right behind me. 😏 That's ok - it will give me motivation to do even better on this Thursday's hunt.😉 This pin pointer method really only works in target rich, close proximity areas. I will know better when I do the next 10-15 linear feet, if I can repeat it.  I do want to say that in digging like I did, I made sure that there were never any open holes, except right where I was digging. I also smoothed the sand out and just sprinkled the dry sand over it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone else.

• Like 2

I'm doubly amazed -- first that you braved 23F (-5C) temps, even if you were sheltered from the wind.  And second, you only used a pinpointer to detect.  (Paid off nicely -- I'll call that amazement #3.)

How do you keep your fingers from freezing?

8 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I'm doubly amazed -- first that you braved 23F (-5C) temps, even if you were sheltered from the wind.  And second, you only used a pinpointer to detect.  (Paid off nicely -- I'll call that amazement #3.)

How do you keep your fingers from freezing?

Thanks GB. Using the wall as a shield got rid of the wind chill. The wind was coming from that direction, so I felt very little wind being so low to the ground. I bought a big pair of gloves, I guess they are like ski gloves, and they are pretty warm. I wore those. The key to staying warm on the beach for me is that I usually double glove it, with an additional vinyl glove on top to keep the wet from reaching my hands. But if you get your hands wet from the sand or surf, all bets are off. You will be extremely cold, very fast. The good news is that Thursday's temperatures are going to be in the 50's. The bad news is there are going to be more people bothering me  😢

2 hours ago, rvpopeye said:

I learned that long ago on a construction site....from my boss , so you know it works....

To keep your fingers warm  in winter , dip them in cider. 

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaay in cider.

Cider makes the world go round 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1