Judging Fe, F-2 By Bottle Caps And Nails

midalake

It seems as everyone looks to Nails and Bottle caps as a standard for reducing iron targets. While this debate will NEVER go away, I think there was a planned use for the the FE and F2 mode for modern times. We all see many countries turning to coins that are mainly Ferrous due to the cost of alloys that are non ferrous. 

So pictured below is the Mexican 1-2 and 5 peso coin. Above is a US penny. 

These coins are actually not totally ferrous. The gold center portion does contain some sort of low grade non ferrous metal. What is completely unbelievable is the Equinox will identify these coins as Ferrous 100% of the time and when running in IB 6 Very little Iron wrap around occurs.  I find this hard to be a coincidence.  So maybe there is a train of thought of what engineers are looking at when Iron Out modes are used.  Not sure how many other people have tested ferrous coins and those results but maybe some of you can chime in.

Anyway the ability to look through/around ferrous coinage is fantastic in my opinion.

mex coins.JPG

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

I've been seeing the term iron wrap around used quite a bit lately.  How do I identify this?  

On the Equinox, an iron target can hit strong enough or low enough on the VDI scale to "wrap around" to the high end of the scale and briefly project high tones and numbers from 38-40. For example, over a large iron target you can see a -8, then -4, then 38, then -7. The EQ is trying to interpret all of the conductor information it is picking up with each swing and if it "senses" a lower conductor component in a target than -9, it will shift the number and tone to the other side of the scale at the highest conductor side, hence "wrap around".

In sites with a lot of iron, I have noticed this happens more with faster swings than with slower ones. I have been fooled many times by this, but when I see a hit in the high 30s, I just have to dig it, even though I know it's probably iron... and it usually is. 🙂

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

I've been seeing the term iron wrap around used quite a bit lately.  How do I identify this?  

It has a different look in different detectors.  But to make it simple [for me] It is iron targets that come into the non ferrous zone of the detector either by sound or VDI presentation. 

• Like 1