Judging Fe, F-2 By Bottle Caps And Nails

It seems as everyone looks to Nails and Bottle caps as a standard for reducing iron targets. While this debate will NEVER go away, I think there was a planned use for the the FE and F2 mode for modern times. We all see many countries turning to coins that are mainly Ferrous due to the cost of alloys that are non ferrous. 

So pictured below is the Mexican 1-2 and 5 peso coin. Above is a US penny. 

These coins are actually not totally ferrous. The gold center portion does contain some sort of low grade non ferrous metal. What is completely unbelievable is the Equinox will identify these coins as Ferrous 100% of the time and when running in IB 6 Very little Iron wrap around occurs.  I find this hard to be a coincidence.  So maybe there is a train of thought of what engineers are looking at when Iron Out modes are used.  Not sure how many other people have tested ferrous coins and those results but maybe some of you can chime in.

Anyway the ability to look through/around ferrous coinage is fantastic in my opinion.

mex coins.JPG

• Like 3

8 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

I've been seeing the term iron wrap around used quite a bit lately.  How do I identify this?  

On the Equinox, an iron target can hit strong enough or low enough on the VDI scale to "wrap around" to the high end of the scale and briefly project high tones and numbers from 38-40. For example, over a large iron target you can see a -8, then -4, then 38, then -7. The EQ is trying to interpret all of the conductor information it is picking up with each swing and if it "senses" a lower conductor component in a target than -9, it will shift the number and tone to the other side of the scale at the highest conductor side, hence "wrap around".

In sites with a lot of iron, I have noticed this happens more with faster swings than with slower ones. I have been fooled many times by this, but when I see a hit in the high 30s, I just have to dig it, even though I know it's probably iron... and it usually is. 🙂

• Like 1
5 hours ago, stevejhgla said:

I've been seeing the term iron wrap around used quite a bit lately.  How do I identify this?  

It has a different look in different detectors.  But to make it simple [for me] It is iron targets that come into the non ferrous zone of the detector either by sound or VDI presentation. 

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Ammar
      Greeting all, I have a Minelap Equinox-800 device with eror (Er 41). I changed the cable but still the same problem, I'm try to restarting  but there is no responding. please can anyone help me with this problem because I live far from the company and can't send it to warranty.
    • By dogodog
      Well I decided to hit a new spot this morning, a 1770's farm house and barn  turned industrial building. This will soon be torn down for another housing development. My buddy was hunting a small maybe 50' x 40' back yard that has overgrown flower beds, while I was hunting the perimeter of the house with cut lawn. After two hours of only a clad dime and a quarter, I decided to see how he was making out. I asked what he got 2 early wheaties was his reply. while talking I swung the 800 on the edge of a flower bed not expecting to get a signal. But I did a jumpy 21 22 23, Jokingly I said how did you miss that. He responded I didn't get there yet. Thinking I was digging a wheat penny, I proceeded to pop the plug. I checked it with the coil, Not in the plug. But now I was getting a jumpy 29 30 31 32 in the hole. Thinking big silver or copper, After digging to around 10'' out pops a very thin copper which I thought was a KG. My buddy (which I hope he still is, seemed a little flustered) came over to look at it with younger eyes, And told me I just dug a 1788 Vermont copper. Well now I started to feel a little sick for swinging in his spot, It was not how I wanted to find a bucket list coin. I offered it to him but he said no, He was glad I found it. Still I didn't feel OK, but knowing we hunt together a lot and we trade good and bad days made me realize how much you would rather your friend find something than yourself. So now I have 3 of the 4 state coppers, all with the equinox after years of detecting with other machines. Luck maybe but I'm leaning towards how you trade info on your machine and technique's used with your detecting buddy.

• By dogodog
      It's been a while since I last posted and I have been busy with work and the yard. Not that I have not been out a few times, But today was something I had to take the time to share with everyone.  I had the day off and wanted to go out early and see what the day would bring me. 5:00 am I decided to get dressed for the day and found a new T shirt that the wife had bought me, It said life is good. It had a dog holding an american flag in its mouth. I thought to myself this might bring me some good luck. Well I think it did. My first three hours were at a spot I hunted a few times. Its loaded with clad and I decided to hunt for quarters and dimes. After a few dollars in clad, I hit a 1945 Washington, (good start) A few more Quarters and I changed spots, Hunting an old horseshoe pit. No luck so I moved a few hundred feet and got a 24-25 on the 800. Out pops a ring that was pretty neat looking but seemed odd and silver plated, But it turned out to be  sterling stamped ring made by Unca Co. in the mid 1900's. This morning is turning out pretty good. More clad and I decided to go back to the washington find and go a little slower. With in a minute I got a bouncy on edge tone that produced a very worn Denver mint standing liberty with no date. Sadly I had to go mow the lawn, But being greedy I needed to go back out to another spot. I called my buddy and we went to an old farm house that we hit once a month ago. The last trip yielded a capped bust, large cent, silver broach, pocket watch and an really early buckle. Today I had lower expectations. Well that didn't quite turn out that way. It started out a little slow but ended in a great way. My first good hit was a 1918 merc. Followed by a bunch of wheaties, 9 I think. My buddy hit a large cent and I followed up with a really nice 1914 barber quarter and a KG 3. He ended his day with a nice 1915 barber quarter. LIFE IS GOOD !!!!!!!

• By Tnsharpshooter
      My battery in my Nox  is fine.  I pursued ordering a battery.  Just for a spare and to seek out the process so I could share with folks.
      First I called number 1-877-767-6522 (Minelab customer service) and talked to lady named Julie.  Julie referred to the following number in PA - 814-283-4270 (Minelab repair center).  I called this number and spoke with gent named Dan Diehl.  He stated I was actually the first to buy Nox battery. He while I had him on phone had just realized the batteries were at their facility for sale.  Price is $30 USD.  He said total price including shipping was $39 for a nonsignature required usps delivery.  I used a credit card.  And that’s it.  So the number above for Dan is the number to call to buy battery for Equinox.
      As a side note I inquired about their repair backlog.  He said they were in good shape.  With only about a week of backlog repairs on hand.  I asked this due to possible lasting effects of Covid 19, plus I wanted to be able to share with folks accurate info.  In case some were not sending in their units for repairs fearing long wait times.
      Cheers
      David

• By phrunt
      The 24k was relatively short lived by comparison of other US made detectors that seem to hang about on the market for 10 to 25 years, being a US detector it was a bit difficult for me to ever get my hands on one and I guess I was just too slow at making the move on one.  So I'm considering an alternative.  I like my Gold Monster but it is a bit simplified and I prefer more options so I just use it as a pinpointer, at the moment my primary prospecting VLF is the Equinox, I rarely use anything else.  I have a Gold Bug 2 but find it a bit primitive especially with features and I'd prefer a detector with Target ID's and the tiny gold improvement over the Nox I find is very minimal, the Nox has a great range of features and does a pretty good job but I'm wondering If I'd get a bit more out of a dedicated prospecting VLF with a higher frequency.  Am I losing much not using a 24k and sticking with my Equinox?
      The Nokta Gold Kruzer seems a viable choice, it's extremely cheap and sitting in stock at my local dealer, it has Nel coil support which I absolutely think is a major bonus, the Nel snake coil is made for it, and to me this seems the ultimate prospecting coil. I have it for my Fisher Gold Bug Pro but that detector just doesn't cut it for depth on small gold for me as I live in a place with a majority of the gold being very small.   I need a the best VLF for hot rocks possible.
      Why is it that Nokta detectors just aren't as popular, they seem to make a great range.  The Gold Kruzer and Gold Racer are what people have wanted in VLF prospecting detectors, aftermarket coil support, features dripping off them, quality builds and water proof and so on yet you don't see them as detectors people are using.  Why is this?  Steve H had a Gold Kruzer, Gold Monster etc, etc.... yet ended up settling on the 24k instead.  Is the 24k that much better than the Nokta?  What made the 24k the keeper and the Nokta the one to go.
      Would I be better off waiting to see what Garrett come out with, with any luck Nel will make coils for Garrett's version of a 24k.
      I've never owned a Notka, I am a bit puzzled why they make such feature packed and on paper great looking detectors yet people aren't using them. 
    • By Luis
      Acabo de ver estos auriculares en aliexpres. No estoy seguro de lo que valen, pero lo comparto por si le interesa un compañero. La verdad es que se ven bien
      Translation from Google Translate: 
      I just saw these headphones in aliexpress. I'm not sure what they're worth, but I'll share it in case you're interested in a partner. The truth is that they look good

Plufy deportes auricular Bluetooth csr4.1 banda para el cuello auriculares apt-x estéreo Auriculares con micrófono piel Orejeras
      (Plufy Sports Bluetooth Headset CSR4.1 Neckband Headset apt-x Stereo Headset with Microphone Skin Earmuffs)