Hi And Help - Noob In Co

Kellyb

Hello there! I live up in the mountains near Glenwood Springs, CO. My son is interested in metal detecting and I'm looking for something that will work in our often rocky soil that also, in areas, includes clay. Snow is another big feature...I'm not sure if we need to limit detecting to the summers or if winter detecting is a possibility. My budget is around $200-250. Shopping is bringing me to tears 🙂 since there are so many choices and details to delve into. I would forever appreciate any advice! Thank you.

PS: I talked to one person that said using a detector that can adjust to different ground conditions might be beneficial for our area. Is that pretty important?

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. About 7 months ago I went through the same quandary as you, but with a larger budget. I started with a Garrett Ace 400 in August, but by December I ended up getting an Equinox 600. Both are out of your budget, one twice and the other 3 times+.

However there is good news. One detector stands out to me as a win on all fronts, it has much of the pluses of a Garrett and many of the Equinox...

The Nokta Makro Simplex+. It runs around $250, is reasonably light if this is a youngster we are talking about. It is waterproof, cold weather resistant due to the Lithium battery, comes with many accessories if you catch a promotion, and would be far above a beginner detector if you're willing to invest the time in learning it by going through a lot of the material here and getting a book or two. You can use it literally anywhere with care. It even does ground balancing.

I am currently hacking about with a loaner Simplex+, and while it makes me appreciate having bought the Equinox instead I find it does the job quite well.

As to metal detecting in the snow, well... Maybe that is best left to folks from the upper parts of the country, and for rocks and clay I'm sure there are locals here who can answer that better than I as well. I dig in clay but mostly farm topsoil, and rarely run into rocks here. Farm and beach are the life for me! 😀

The Simplex+ isn't considered a "toy" by any stretch. There are many others that will find things for a lot less money, but not quite reach the standard you set. I really can't think of a better bang for the buck and I too looked at lots of detectors.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Kellyb said:

My budget is around $200-250. Shopping is bringing me to tears 🙂 since there are so many choices and details to delve into.

For your budget this is your best choice on Amazon. This is a really good detector, but is not waterproof. This would be a great starter unit for anyone or an extra unit for the people who love to detect. You can look up the reviews of the unit on this forum for more information. The price is just above what you are wanting to spend, but the extra $30.00 is well worth it.

https://www.amazon.com/Minelab-Vanquish-Detector-Double-D-Waterproof/dp/B082XCLP94/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2IVUSYN2MI7Q4&dchild=1&keywords=vanquish+detector&qid=1615960456&sprefix=vanquish+det%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-4

• Like 3

I also forgot to mention that you can get a used one on this site in the classified section.

• Like 2

Welcome, Kelly!

You might want to read the thread linked below.  I don't know if these are still available (note the post from a few months back that said they had them online for $99.99 plus shipping).  I don't belong to Costco but I know people who do (i.e. who could buy one for me).  If your budget is tight this would allow purchase of a hand digger and a handheld pinpointer.  (Might be best to see if you son likes detecting first before buying the handheld.  But they sure make finding the target easier once your main detector has given an approximate indication of its location.)

• Like 3

I so appreciate all of your responses, each of which I read carefully. The input is so incredibly helpful! Interesting that costco is selling one! I'm leaning toward the Nokta/Makro Simplex. Does anyone recommend a particular seller? I talked to someone at metaldetector.com that was helpful. He recommended the Bounty Hunter Platinum or the Fisher 5...I think both of those may be discontinued. Any thoughts on whether those would be better or the same as the Nokta/Makro Simplex? Thank you again! 😀

• Like 1

I for one would look for the best deal on any particular detector, especially because buying all the other stuff you should have (pinpointer, digging tools, trash pouch, possibly a case) can cost you almost as much as a detector. I get by with an Ames spade in the farm for instance, but If I showed up at a public permission with that they would probably sound the alarm. There are specialty digging tools much better suited to the job! A pinpointer, while some would argue is not necessary, will save you a bit of time and most likely lead to a smaller hole. 😉 Plan to trash your backyard before going public.

Support after the sale is important for many. I bought my first detector on Amazon, the second from a "local" detector shop who sells detectors at the same price. Nothing is really local, it's an hour and a half one way. 😀 The shop owner walked me through the machine, and offered to help train in the field.

Be careful about buying discontinued products.

BTW get ready to have more than one, you may get hooked yourself! 😈

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kellyb said:

Does anyone recommend a particular seller?

Yes, this guy who is a regular poster here.  Beware -- he'll talk your ear off :biggrin: (but he's as knowledgeable of a dealer as you'll ever find, and honest).  He sells the Simplex, the Vanquish, and many others.

6 hours ago, Kellyb said:

I talked to someone at metaldetector.com that was helpful. He recommended the Bounty Hunter Platinum or the Fisher 5...

Well, if he was going to sell you one of those for $200, then I'd listen (Fisher F5 anyway.)  But it sounds like he's trying to clear out old stock.  I.e. he's making a sale that benefits him more than tayloring a sale/purchase for your needs.  Call Gerry; he'll help you get something best for you.

• Like 4

If you do get the Simplex try to get it with the pinpointer and wireless headphone package. Not sure if that special package has run out or not. It is well worth going just over budget as separately those items are much more.

• Like 2