That is pretty awesome but I have maybe a dumb question.  Is the field on old ground or did a kid lose a coin from dad’s collection?   I see posts like this and just wonder. 

• Thanks 1

I'm the opposite.....only found 2 Bens in 29yrs tecting but have found 8-9 Walkers, 2 Barber Halves, 1 Seated halve, 4-5 Kens,  couple Morgans, but those Bens hide from me.....

Nice big silver you got......

• Thanks 1

On my first look I thought you had a double cud (metal that 'spilled' out during minting due to a piece having previously broken off the die, causing metal to fill that hollow part of the die during strking).  That would have made this coin quite valuable (hundreds of dollars).  But then I noticed the last photo which shows some damage to the rim.  However, if there is only one damaged spot then it looks like the dies were rotated.  (The artificially produced cud is located at 3:00 on the obverse and 12:00 on the reverse.)

USA coins are intended to have the obverse and reverse 180 degrees rotated.  If you orient a USA coin with such that you see the obverse (front side or 'heads' side) appearing upright and then turn the coin over through a left-right axis, the reverse should then appear upright.  When that isn't the case it's due to rotated dies in the minting process and the more they are rotated, the more the value to error collectors.

So, try that and see if the dies are rotated.  Or are there two places on the rim where similar damage has occurred?

Nice find, regardless!

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, CVISChris said:

That is pretty awesome but I have maybe a dumb question.  Is the field on old ground or did a kid lose a coin from dad’s collection?   I see posts like this and just wonder. 

It is in Florida, so it does have history. The area was a farming/citrus growing area prior to settlement. I believe the area was incorporated back in the 50's. I have found some additional silver coins and wheat pennies in the same area. Some have been down as deep as about 1 foot. There are definitely newer clad coins above this layer of old. So, I would guess it was not kids playing with Dad's collection.

• Like 3

Great find and some day I will get me some of those from the ground.

Good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1