Sounds like a good spot to dig those deep, iffy signals. You may have a lot of coins at depth there. Great '42D half!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

On my first look I thought you had a double cud (metal that 'spilled' out during minting due to a piece having previously broken off the die, causing metal to fill that hollow part of the die during strking).  That would have made this coin quite valuable (hundreds of dollars).  But then I noticed the last photo which shows some damage to the rim.  However, if there is only one damaged spot then it looks like the dies were rotated.  (The artificially produced cud is located at 3:00 on the obverse and 12:00 on the reverse.)

USA coins are intended to have the obverse and reverse 180 degrees rotated.  If you orient a USA coin with such that you see the obverse (front side or 'heads' side) appearing upright and then turn the coin over through a left-right axis, the reverse should then appear upright.  When that isn't the case it's due to rotated dies in the minting process and the more they are rotated, the more the value to error collectors.

So, try that and see if the dies are rotated.  Or are there two places on the rim where similar damage has occurred?

Nice find, regardless!

GB, do you think this coin is special in any way (cuds), or is it just damaged from use? The Y on LIBERTY looks to be wonky for sure.

Big Silver!  Congrats!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Againstmywill said:

GB, do you think this coin is special in any way (cuds), or is it just damaged from use? The Y on LIBERTY looks to be wonky for sure.

Actually, those two cuds (I think I called them 'artificial cuds') didn't occur at the mint but rather when the rim was damaged.  (I wonder what someone did to cause that damage, trying to mount it?  Not that it matters.)  It appears that the damage occurred early on in the coin's circulation lifetime, based on the smoothness of the current state of those raised areas.

If those were actual mint errors it would be a very valuable coin.  A single cud on a half dollar is quite rare.  A double cud??  That would be crazy rare.

• Thanks 1

Love that huge silver y'all find. So far none for me. 😀

It's just a guess but the marks on the sides look kinda uniform. Could it have been clamped or mounted in something? Are the marks equidistant around the coin? Certainly looks like it happened a long time ago, just glad it wasn't taco'ed by a plow. 🤔

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, F350Platinum said:

Love that huge silver y'all find. So far none for me. 😀

It's just a guess but the marks on the sides look kinda uniform. Could it have been clamped or mounted in something? Are the marks equidistant around the coin? Certainly looks like it happened a long time ago, just glad it wasn't taco'ed by a plow. 🤔

Took it in to a local coin expert, and it is for sure just a destroyed coin vs. an error. The two spots that are wrecked are not really the best place for mounting, so I'm not sure about the cause. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Great find!!!! Hope its not the last. I find some weird stuff in places you wouldn't expect. I take every unexpected find with a GIANT grin. Nice job!!!!!

• Thanks 1