Audio Processing Software?

Interesting concept , keep working with it  !

The spectrum analyzers I had would have just displayed the frequency that the speaker output has to the closest standard 1/3 octave centers.   May be different than the phone apps available thee days. I tried a couple of those.....didn't cut it , for my use.

Easier to just train the ears...IMO

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 7:36 AM, rvpopeye said:

Easier to just train the ears...IMO

Easier to just train the ears on what???   The equinox signal is so processed what are you going to be able to tell the difference of in non-ferrous targets??? 

midalake 

As has been mentioned some detectors are incorporating some form of this on screen , I remember one a few years back that had a separate screen from the display and it was very different in the type of information about a target was displayed... uhhhhhhhhhhh ,,,,Nocta ....Infibio ,,Infivio ?er something like that. I wonder what became of that ? Was a little pricey at $10K 

But not on an Equinox , even the 800   

"Train" by getting used to the tones your detector makes for different objects.    I realize that might be easier for musicians and also sometimes more than one thing will produce the same tones.  So my  "easier" may not be so easy for others....sorry , I spent most of my life surrounded by musicians so sometime I forget..more so as I get older too !!!! skuh kuh kuh kuh kuh kuh  

I traveled almost every day and/or night back then and I remember that after so many miles of listening to my tires on the pavement that produced a note varying according to my speed  , eventually I didn't have to look at the speedometer , just go by the tone...even worked for shifting....maybe you've done that too ?

What more information is learned by knowing the frequency # of that tone ?   I guess a number could be easier to remember but the ID #'s  on the detector correspond to the different tones already. (50 tones for 50 IDs)                                   ( I'm going through this too , my old detector only had one note ! (It was a  D , for dig  LOL       I started out in 5 tone last year and this year I'm going full monty 50 !) 

There was a point in my career when  I was all about my tech tools and what they were telling me but I realized I wasn't paying enough attention to the show.... kinda applies to this...

I'm not saying El Nino77 (or anybody) should stop experimenting , maybe something yet to be discovered  I'm not thinking of !  Posting things like this get us all thinking out of the box which is a good thing.

Another thing I found out on the road ...no matter how much anybody knows ,on any subject ,  there is always more to learn .  Just sometimes you don't realize it till you get to that level......

• Like 2

".... train the ears"

I think the important bit here is the S of ears. If the audio was seperated in a frequency-dependant way, there's likely to be more chance of picking out nuances. This could be done with the existing mono output and post-processing, though it would evidently be better if it was performed internally by the Eqx software.

• Like 2

Thx Pimento

I forgot (what'd I tell ya ?) Second part of midalake's question.

Telling the difference... Oh My Goshk !that's the bugger of the whole thing isn't it  !

Let's seeeeee , there's the dig it method ,,, 

Coming next in the EQX 1100 ? 

A built in audio frequency counter , 1Hz accuracy  , FFT on a chip. connected to a digital assistant AI , that tells you " 15 , target 2 inches , but that's a pulltab not a nickel , keep moving...)       "  7 , Target 16 inches ,RING  gold 18K 17 grams , 2 carat stone , real diamond , DIG  DIG DIG , bent nail 3 inches to the left and 1 inch above , and 2 empty ketchup packets 1 inch directly below target ") 

No dig teleporter upgrade model also available.....and included free on all units shipped to the mars colony..

Due to supply chain breakdown the nanobot injection target  ID system won't be out till the EQX 3000

Keep an eye out for a totally new model line releasing soon , The Dowser 9000 chip implant , complete with psychic connection to a genuine witch queen from New Orleans... you'll just know where to dig !

Now , if you'll all excuse me . I gotta get outta this camper and try to dig something,,,where did I put that heated shovel prototype ? 

• Haha 1

I played with a app called spectrum (for iPhones) to look at detector speaker output from a pi machine, it would probably work better with the signal discrimination of a Nox.  Using a phone or mini-pad attached to a Nox would be a great way for a hearing impaired person to detect and be able to see what type of tones are being output from the detector.

The image below is a screenshot of the output from Spectrum. It is pretty basic, but it displays  real-time frequency, timing and amplitude (dB).  It could do this with input from the detector to the phone of target and threshold signals (you would have to watch it real-time to see signal timing).
CA3466AB-3D7C-4EBA-BE8D-B3BE834AD404.thumb.png.5b06944dd142b965ad112d1f3aaa4e55.png

It looks nice and gives some information, however I don’t think the processed sound could be used for digital target recognition, there isn’t enough information for the processed audio signal to do that, but perhaps the raw digital unfiltered signal output could be useful for that- it may have smaller signal nuances that when compared to other known  target signal files may me used for this. The technology for doing this is used for Identifying bat species by their call signatures, but there is a lot more species specific information in a bat call including timing, frequency and harmonics.  Maybe detecting will go there one day, hopefully soon!

• Like 4

Very interesting! Being hearing impaired and wearing hearing aids, I once tried to find the kHz of the NOX tone breaks and use my audiology report which shows my hearing loss frequencies. Thinking hearing aids just approximate the “all sounds” young ears hear. Anyway, I gave up but this topic may have something. Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GotAU? said:

it would probably work better with the signal discrimination of a Nox.

I see from your sidebar that you have an Eqx 800.  50 tones, swing the coil over a copper penny,...  Please.

So far you've just teased us.  We want to see the punchline!  Or is that for subscribers only?