Audio Processing Software?

Here is the link to what I did, later in the post I used better software so the audio wasn't clipped. First recording were too hot. I used the wired audio jack for the headphones and plugged them into the microphone jack. Then using Audacity I recorded the audio as I passed different targets across the coil. Kept the swing speed as consistent as possible and same with distance. With the Tejon I used disc mode. All Metal VCO will show much more nuances but I don't usually hunt all metal on that machine.

So to get a computer or other device to hear the proprietary bluetooth signal that most detector headphones use might be way more work than getting an audio headphone adapter.

• Like 1

Even though there are obvious limitations with anayzing audio signals from detectors, there are definitely implications that could benefit the hearing impared in this hobby. I'm about chest deep into this now and working on some possible useable solutions. As I make initial builds and testing, I will post my observations. I will also post all of the instructions and list of parts and where to find them so that anyone can make it or help in the progression of this idea. I'm also trying to keep the builds as simple and cost effective as possible so everyone can to do this if they want to.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just touching base on this topic. I have aquired the necessary hardware and software to test this idea and discovered that it can work, and while my limited initial testing does not yet show if it will be accurate enough to aide in target identification or discrimination, I am hopeful that it will benefit hearing impaired detectorists, which is my main goal in this study. I will try to post more information with some photos and video of the equipment and testing in a few days (as time permits). I also believe this will work with other detector types and brands as well and be very inexpensive to impliment.

• Like 2

On 3/28/2021 at 7:56 AM, bklein said:

What if you had a gadget you wore on your wrist that vibrated in maybe 3 speeds according to the audio input? 

Or perhaps also pulses a certain number or length for discrimination in addition to a speed to show signal strength?

• Like 1