Rare Large Meteorite In Oz

Norvic

Reasonable price they received but I cant help wondering if they would have gotten $50 per gram on the open market. Very rare Ni/Fe meteorite.... They barely got $8.70 per gram. At least they allowed it to be studied in a scientific environment and thought that $100K ea was a good enuff payday¬†ūüĎć

• Like 3

That price is very low, my Gold Basin meteorite is going for $34 per gram, much more common one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, MSC said:

That price is very low, my Gold Basin meteorite is going for $34 per gram, much more common one. 

You must have an exceptional specimen to be priced that high. A quick internet search of reputable dealers reveals the going rate on high quality Gold Basin individuals is averaging $1.49 to $2.10 per gram, USD.

• Like 3

My understanding of retail meteorite prices is: Ni/Fe types US$1 per gram. Ordinary H & L type Chondrites US$2-3 per gram. Rarer types can fetch over US$20 per gram and Stony-Irons and Carbonaceous Chondrites can often fetch over US$50 per gram. The Troiite irons are VERY rare and would surely be in the US$20+ range.....so the AU$200K 'finders fee' is super cheap. 

• Like 1

After finding this meteorite, I visited Aerolite Meteorite site that Geoff Notkin runs. He had displayed a smaller Gold Basin specimen which was for sale. IT gave the total price and the price per gram, that is what I based the per gram of my specimen. I could be wrong, that was my only attempt to see what mine was/is worth. It is a very nice one though.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your explanation¬†MSC, that is very interesting. The highest priced Gold Basin stone¬†currently advertised on the Aerolite site is $2.50 per gram, so just a guess, but I'm thinking that perhaps the specimen that you saw may have been one that was found during the filming of the Gold Basin episode of the¬†Meteorite Men TV show, which would make it extremely collectible;¬†I can't think of another reason why a Gold Basin stone would be so¬†phenomenally high priced. ūü§Ē

Lunk, I found this meteorite several years ago, just after the Meteorite Men show went off the air so you could very well be right. This one does have a very good fusion crust, the best I have found, that does give it some value. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:43 AM, MSC said:

I'd love to see your Gold Basin specimen.  I've found a few there, but I guess they were the stony common type.  Can you share more light on yours and why it brings such a really nice price.  Good on you.