Rare Large Meteorite In Oz

Reasonable price they received but I cant help wondering if they would have gotten $50 per gram on the open market. Very rare Ni/Fe meteorite.... They barely got $8.70 per gram. At least they allowed it to be studied in a scientific environment and thought that $100K ea was a good enuff payday 👍

• Like 3

That price is very low, my Gold Basin meteorite is going for $34 per gram, much more common one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 hours ago, MSC said:

That price is very low, my Gold Basin meteorite is going for $34 per gram, much more common one. 

You must have an exceptional specimen to be priced that high. A quick internet search of reputable dealers reveals the going rate on high quality Gold Basin individuals is averaging $1.49 to $2.10 per gram, USD.

• Like 3

My understanding of retail meteorite prices is: Ni/Fe types US$1 per gram. Ordinary H & L type Chondrites US$2-3 per gram. Rarer types can fetch over US$20 per gram and Stony-Irons and Carbonaceous Chondrites can often fetch over US$50 per gram. The Troiite irons are VERY rare and would surely be in the US$20+ range.....so the AU$200K 'finders fee' is super cheap. 

• Like 1

After finding this meteorite, I visited Aerolite Meteorite site that Geoff Notkin runs. He had displayed a smaller Gold Basin specimen which was for sale. IT gave the total price and the price per gram, that is what I based the per gram of my specimen. I could be wrong, that was my only attempt to see what mine was/is worth. It is a very nice one though.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your explanation MSC, that is very interesting. The highest priced Gold Basin stone currently advertised on the Aerolite site is $2.50 per gram, so just a guess, but I'm thinking that perhaps the specimen that you saw may have been one that was found during the filming of the Gold Basin episode of the Meteorite Men TV show, which would make it extremely collectible; I can't think of another reason why a Gold Basin stone would be so phenomenally high priced. 🤔

Hmm. I'll sell Gold Basin meteorites for $1/gram to anyone who buys 500 grams or more at a time. 

So, there's a real value, right here right now. :smile:

Lunk, I found this meteorite several years ago, just after the Meteorite Men show went off the air so you could very well be right. This one does have a very good fusion crust, the best I have found, that does give it some value. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 6:43 AM, MSC said:

I'd love to see your Gold Basin specimen.  I've found a few there, but I guess they were the stony common type.  Can you share more light on yours and why it brings such a really nice price.  Good on you.