White's Battery Pack Diy Conversion Idea

Saw this on Ebay.  I had wondered if these expired battery packs could be converted.  There is also a NiMH version (orange label).  I don't know if that can be converted or not, but this person figured out how to do so with the NiCad version.

710775316_Screenshotat2021-03-18163734.png.0a82d8faed05e0727906f5b97b5aaff7.png

• Like 4

I think an electronics guru could make it work with little problems. It would be just the cost factor. That being said, if you own a  pack that you can not replace it might be worth the cost to get your detector up and running.    

• Like 1

If it can be done with NiCds, it can be done with NiMHs, most likely using the same process. 

While NiCds don't use the same charging algorithms as NiMHs, the "brain" for the charging circuitry will probably reside in your charger, not that pack...I think? If my assumption is correct, then just get a smart/peak charger than can handle 8 NiMH cells and attach the appropriate plug to it.

EDIT: just looked over the pics at the eBay listing. Looks like it's just a plastic shell with metal contacts and a charging plug. I did notice what appears to be a rectifier diode of some sort? Not quite sure what that's doing in a simple 8 cell AA pack wired in series, though.

Maybe someone else here can enlighten me? Perhaps it's a thermistor?

Also, this might be of use: http://www.metaldetectingintheusa.com/v3i-batterypack.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mh9162013 said:

If it can be done with NiCds, it can be done with NiMHs, most likely using the same process. 

While NiCds don't use the same charging algorithms as NiMHs, the "brain" for the charging circuitry will probably reside in your charger, not that pack...I think? If my assumption is correct, then just get a smart/peak charger than can handle 8 NiMH cells and attach the appropriate plug to it.

EDIT: just looked over the pics at the eBay listing. Looks like it's just a plastic shell with metal contacts and a charging plug. I did notice what appears to be a rectifier diode of some sort? Not quite sure what that's doing in a simple 8 cell AA pack wired in series, though.

Maybe someone else here can enlighten me? Perhaps it's a thermistor?

Also, this might be of use: http://www.metaldetectingintheusa.com/v3i-batterypack.html

Reverse voltage protection I think. A thermistor would be mountetd to the cells to get the temperature directly from the part at risk.

• Like 4

"A rectifier diode of some sort? Not quite sure what that's doing in a simple 8 cell AA pack"

It's wired from the + of the charging socket to the + of the battery. It conducts ( forwards biased ) when the pack is charged ... but importantly : it prevents discharge via the charging socket, if something metallic gets in there accidentally. It's a pretty standard safety precaution.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PimentoUK said:

"A rectifier diode of some sort? Not quite sure what that's doing in a simple 8 cell AA pack"

It's wired from the + of the charging socket to the + of the battery. It conducts ( forwards biased ) when the pack is charged ... but importantly : it prevents discharge via the charging socket, if something metallic gets in there accidentally. It's a pretty standard safety precaution.

TIL

Thanks for the explanation!

There’s a guy who makes holders for rechargeable lithium 18650 batteries. I have tons of them from my stepdaughters vaping phase and tearing down laptop battery cases, which contain 6-8 18650s in series. Or obviously you could just order 3 brand new, which I’ve also done. In any event I’ll be patiently waiting to receive the holder. I’ll let you guys know how that goes when it arrives from Ukraine if I’m not mistaken. So far anyone who has bought one was singing its praises, particularly how long the charge lasts. I thought about the RNB rechargeable lithium battery case for whites machines but if you open it up (if you even could) I’m pretty sure you’re just going to find 3 18650 batteries. I like the open holder design given how many batteries I have charged and ready to go. 

0737E813-649F-4F72-B974-1A8598A5D7AF.png

• Like 3

This is why I joined this site. Questions about tech stuff always give you the insight to the right path.

• Like 1

Looks like an easy enough object to model, surprised no one is posting a 3d model for people to get 3d printed.

I really recommend using 3X 18650 Li-ion batteries ..fully charged pack at 12.43 Volts and a capacity of 3400 mAh...
Above all, you get the debt and stable work of the Spectry V3 even when using TX Bost ,, - because these 3 Li-ion cells are built for strong current consumption and on the other hand they are much easier / 130 grams vs 240 grams / as 8x AA Ni-Mh batteries ..

http://www.metaldetectingintheusa.com/whites-li-ion-battery-pack.html  

IMG-20200623-WA0014.jpeg

If you use Spectra V3 ..TX bost ON very often, then this is really the only good solution ..

And why I recommend using TX Bost ON ... it shows this in "4X4"-depth test of my Spectra V3 ..

1st target 14mm-0.6 gram silver earring at a depth of 20cm.
2nd target 13.5 mm -0.45 gram small silver hammered coin to a depth of 23 cm.
3rd target very small piece of gold -3x5 mm -0.05 gram at a depth of 10cm.
4th target 50 Eurocent coin -is placed at a depth of 37 cm ..

• Like 3