22" GPZ X Coil Concentric Results

On ya JR, give manual GB and extra deep a go too, tis not for everyone but for an old campaigner it`ll give you even more rewards for extra patience. The concentric another powerful addition to X coils range, what wonder coil are they going to come up with next. Note the "speaker" on side.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

In reasonably homogeneous ground Normal is going to work OK, its when the ground becomes variable and constantly changing that the Normal timings will leave a lot of gold in the ground. I’ve tested this many many times over the years and the opposite of the described above will apply just as succinctly in variable ground types going from Difficult to Normal. 

Also be aware that no matter what the ground type there is a huge hole in the Normal timings on solid pieces going from around the solid 13 gram to 20 gram mark, Difficult will actually outperform Normal on those, so it pays no matter how quiet the ground is to go back over it again to make sure you don’t miss out on the decent 1/2 ounce bit. BTW same applies to the GPX machines too.

My rule of thumb for gold modes on the GPZ in Difficult is if the ground is less than 18” deep stick to High Yield, the benefits of quieter operation from less EMI and less knock and bump sensitivity along with much better target response on the bread and butter gold well and truly justifies its use, High Yield will not miss the big ones down to 18” and will easily get the smaller gold the other modes miss. Normal on the other hand is a whole other ball game and needs to be used relative to the ground being worked.

Good going on the big Concentric James, seems my concerns about saturation signals being an issue have been dealt with. The next thing will be spurious hot conductive ground signals in wet/damp soils, that is something that can’t be avoided with a deeper punching concentric coil design, that and salt of course because of the bigger size. 

JP

Jonno: 

I can only call it as I observed it to be in the field. Naturally I spent a lot of time switching settings and swapping coils over undug gold targets in the ground, and at the Maryborough Coiltek test patch.

Frequently, smaller deep pieces simply disappeared when switching from "normal" to "difficult", with the inevitable conclusion that "normal" coupled with "High Yield" was the best setting for that particular coil under most conditions - and that is the point here: 

Tune your detector to the particular coil used, rather than generalise about settings, soil conditions, saturation levels, conductivity etc.

Norvic:

The device mounted on the side of the detector is a Sennheiser cordless headphone transmitter. This is far superior to the obsolescent WM12 built in wireless system on the Z, and saves some battery time by switching both it and the GPS off.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, jrbeatty said:

Jonno: 

I can only call it as I observed it to be in the field. Naturally I spent a lot of time switching settings and swapping coils over undug gold targets in the ground, and at the Maryborough Coiltek test patch.

Frequently, smaller deep pieces simply disappeared when switching from "normal" to "difficult", with the inevitable conclusion that "normal" coupled with "High Yield" was the best setting for that particular coil under most conditions - and that is the point here: 

Tune your detector to the particular coil used, rather than generalise about settings, soil conditions, saturation levels, conductivity etc.

Norvic:

The device mounted on the side of the detector is a Sennheiser cordless headphone transmitter. This is far superior to the obsolescent WM12 built in wireless system on the Z, and saves some battery time by switching both it and the GPS off.

No problems James (BTW I prefer Jonathan or JP not Jonno which is a term I find very insulting). 

As an aside, every audio transmitter I have ever tried on the GPZ either BT or WiFi has caused interference to the detector especially mounted near the side of the control box like that, I‘m amazed you’re able to run a transmitter that close and not complain about it!!

The rest of what I wrote above was just a polite attempt to inform considering you have only just started using the GPZ.

JP

2 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

No problems James (BTW I prefer Jonathan or JP not Jonno which is a term I find very insulting). 

As an aside, every audio transmitter I have ever tried on the GPZ either BT or WiFi has caused interference to the detector especially mounted near the side of the control box like that, I‘m amazed you’re able to run a transmitter that close and not complain about it!!

The rest of what I wrote above was just a polite attempt to inform considering you have only just started using the GPZ.

JP

No offence meant Jonathan, I have used "Jonno" as a term of endearment, not an insult.

Not a "peep" from the detector using the Sennheiser (nor the GPX 5000 or the QED) They never distort (or drop out) and have a range of 20 meters or more, for those with extra long arms  :) 

My reply was also a polite attempt to inform you and others about the in field operational characteristics of a coil few people are yet familiar with.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, jrbeatty said:

No offence meant Jonathan, I have used "Jonno" as a term of endearment, not an insult.

Not a "peep" from the detector using the Sennheiser (nor the GPX 5000 or the QED) They never distort (or drop out) and have a range of 20 meters or more, for those with extra long arms  🙂

My reply was also a polite attempt to inform you and others about the in field operational characteristics of a coil few people are yet familiar with.

Thanks James I appreciate the courtesy.

My FYI was more to do with general GPZ usage not disparaging the Concentric X coils which so far have impressed me based on feedback etc.

That’s good news about the Sennheiser transmitter, will have to look into one of them. Is it low latency WiFi or BT using Aptx? I wonder if they do a Rx unit in Aptx BT for when the 6000 comes out?

JP (not Jonno or Johnny!!! 😂)

JP:

Sennheiser RS 160 cordless is a low latency high fidelity digital wifi system based on the "Kleer" chipset. Google for details.

Now discontinued, but new units still appear on Gummie and Fleabay. Brilliant sound with volume control on both transmitter and headphones. I have several sets and can pair separate headphones when instructing people on detecting.

• Like 1