22" GPZ X Coil Concentric Results

17 hours ago, Jin said:

It will be interesting to see how the bigger 26" goes. Do you think on deep gold the zed with a 26" will be any match for those prototypes you guys swung 30 years ago? Especially that big ass bismark coil.  

Jin:

I'll be looking for different targets with the 26"

The big loops were excellent at locating very large pieces (10 oz plus) at good depth (3/4 foot or more) I doubt they missed many, certainly not on the ground I've followed up on ever since. 

They were less sensitive to smaller pieces (ounce or less) at similar depth, and it's mainly these I will be targeting. The big CC's also punch deep but, due to the narrow field at depth, you need to be almost exactly over the target to hear it. The DOD (and monoloops) are far more forgiving in this respect.

Out of interest, the last "Big Loop" I had experience with was used by John Hider Smith just before he retired from prospecting in the late 90's. It was 36" in diameter and spiral wound (way ahead of its time) Reg Wilson now owns this coil and it has been used successfully as a sled coil behind a quad.

From memory, this was coupled to an SD 2200 box modified by Bruce Candy to target deep gold. This it did very successfully. At one point during a trip to WA, John called me over to listen to a "rumour" he had heard (a "pre" signal. Jim Stewart used to call these "gravity anomalies" and it's the one thing you must learn to hear if you don't want to walk over very deep gold. often it's just a faint repeatable instability in the signal)

At the time I was having great success on deep gold in difficult ground with an SD 2200 detector coupled to a custom built 18" Coiltek DD. These coils were later released commercially.

I heard nothing until about 4/6" had been removed, and it turned out to be a 2 oz piece down very close to 3 feet.

Here's John at work in WA, filmed by me:

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

I went to Georgetown Far North Queensland December of 2019 and was amazed by the local stories of all the big deep gold that was found with VLF detectors in pure granite country! All sluggy heavy gold, yet everyone up there these days is hitting the red oxidised diorite, weathered Gabbro and metabasalt contacts where it is more mineralised as the granite areas stopped producing long ago. I was amazed, I would not give that pale looking granite country a second look as I’ve spent the vast majority of my career chasing the high iron mineralised areas

I guess I spend most of my detecting time chasing gold on granite. Sometimes this gold is miles from the nearest reef or other existing source. As you no doubt know, this gold is left over from the granite pluton emplacement process.

For others who may be interested, as the vast granite plutons once pushed their way upwards through the overlying metasediments, they mobilised gold formation in this rapidly thinning and eroding capping. 

Eventually this sediment capping is almost totally removed by erosion (except for occasional isolated metamorphic "roof pediments" as they are called, still sitting on the granite)

What remains are occasional scattered remnants of "palaeochannels" which still carry the gold. Longbush and "Berlin" goldfield are good examples in Victoria.

• Like 5

Roof "pendant", different beast than a pediment. :wink: We have a few similar places in Arizona.

Who owns X Coils now? Are they still Russian?

JR

We have an area near Coolgardie, California that we detected over the last few years.  It is nearly flat desert but just a few remaining signs of drainage.  It had been dry washed in many places and the area had last been detected by 5000s but not completely.  We came along with the Zeds and other small gold detectors and found many sub gram pieces scattered over a square mile area or so.  Within this big 'patch' one of my favorite indicators to slow and grid became what I now call 'mottled granite' more than quartz.  If I saw this orange tinged granite pieces or soil it gave me many nuggets there over a couple of year period of time.  We seem to have gotten all those nuggets now with just an odd one here in there left every 2-3 trips.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jasong said:

Roof "pendant", different beast than a pediment. :wink: We have a few similar places in Arizona.

Who owns X Coils now? Are they still Russian?

It's a complicated mess, best explained by following this thread on the subject on another website. If I read correctly the Russians split into to camps, each supplying different areas? The old dealers were canceled? So I think this site is it now....

X Coil Website

• Like 2

Thanks for the links Steve, I was confused if I had missed something here.

I don't follow many other forums these days and that place sure made me remember why after I browsed around on various threads.

• Like 1

That is quite a thread about the Xs on FF.  I had never been there before. 

I had heard there was some sacking but didn't know the details.  Some of the tort and retort gave me a laugh but it is all pretty caustic stuff.  Aussies seem to let insults roll off their backs and return them until they just abandon all sense of detecting.

It would be very difficult to have a 'business model' based upon those types of relationships.  I can't imagine social marketing such a crowd.

Added 30 minutes later.

I was just told the 'simple answer' to X-coils was that one owner bought out the other owner.  Now they are having marketing pains.

Here is an official X-coils response:

They have confirmed the single owner model.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 4/12/2021 at 6:04 AM, Jonathan Porter said:

The other issue is the detector is reacting to those deep slugs but you the operator is either not reacting to them because they are so broad or writing them off as ground noise or after having dug at a few only to have them dissipate then not bothering to go through the painful process of scraping back and trying to get a signal to improve to an identifiable definite response, when a target is at three + feet it can take a lot of digging before the signal becomes the real deal!!

I cant say I've dug many really deep targets in comparison to shallow bits but what you explain above is exactly what I've experienced. I remember once using the 10" on the zed at a pushed site. I changed things up a bit and decided to try general/difficult with a low sensitivity (cant remember exactly - but my fav sensitivity is rarely over 6 - many times at 1 or 2). The machine was dead quiet. I then heard a very faint groan, which after a couple of swings confirmed that something was there. I'm positive if the sensitivity was higher it would have introduced ground noise and i would of missed it. Long story short, I dug down 3 feet and came across a steel bar. (wasn't surprised as the area was full of junk) A few lessons i learnt from that experience.

1. The signal didn't improve much until a bit of ground had been removed.

2. Little coils can punch quite deep if the ground type allows it.

3. The biggest lesson was air tests are useless.

After digging most of the way down (say 2 foot) the target was blanking out. I then wanted to remember what the initial target sounded like to pull me up. To my surprise it was a loud response at ground level compared to the faint repeatable (easily missed) groan at the start.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1