Iffy Barber Dime

Great recovery GBA!

On 3/21/2021 at 12:52 PM, GB_Amateur said:

This is the second Barber Dime I've found in this schoolyard, but the mystery is why it was there at all. 

I have a theory that if you looked at pocket change in the 50's, you would find a mix of older coins.. they weren't as desirable when all were silver.  Now.. why there wouldn't be any Rosies?  You may be correct about fill dirt being brought in that predated rosie silver.  

So do you think that high 30's was iron wraparound, or was the Barber jumping that much?  

I will have to live vicarious through you on the silver Barber.  Looks beautiful to me 🙂

~Tim

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

So do you think that high30's was iron wraparound, or was the Barber jumping that much?

I don't think it was wraparound, but you're right that it could have been.  After I got the Barber recovered the nail was negative numbers, though.  (I just dug it up to see where & how deep it was.  Trying to learn how close nails need to be to affect other nearby targets.)

• Like 1

19 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

(I just dug it up to see where & how deep it was.  Trying to learn how close nails need to be to affect other nearby targets.)

I understand that, I dig a fair amount of iron on purpose for exactly that reason.  Sometimes I dig it first to see if the higher conductor cleans up or changes id... other times I dig it after the desired target.  If it is big..  I dig it just to get it out of there so it doesn't have a chance to mask a smaller target.   

Getting a nice find, especially one that isn't easy... just feels good!  Congrats!!   

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

I dig a fair amount of iron on purpose for exactly that reason.  Sometimes I dig it first to see if the higher conductor cleans up or changes id... other times I dig it after the desired target.

I do that sometimes, too, if I get an iffy target (or what seems to be one) near a loud iron target.  I've had it work both ways -- sometimes it clears up a good target's signal and sometimes what I thought was a good target completely disappears, meaning the iron target was causing a false (seemingly good) target along with its own strong grunt.  That sometimes works with aluminum trash targets as well.

We (or at least I..., can't speak for everyone) like to think that the center of the coil (or sweetspot, if it's off-center) is the only place that will respond.  Yet the magnetic field is much more complicated than that.  Two trash targets that are both at the edge of the coil (with nothing in the sweetspot) can give a good (positive) signal, for example.  And there are many more orientations that can fool me.

• Like 2

Might have had a good halo from the nail that tainted the dimes signal. The dirt could have been trucked in or the area could have been farmland at one time. Squeaking out those iffy targets is what I have been trying to master since last year. Curious if the next time you come across a target like that try lowering the recovery speed rather than faster and see if blending the targets gives you a better repeatable signal. Something I can't adjust on my MK and noticed sometimes the slower Tejon and AT Pro give better target location than the speedier machines.

• Like 3

I suspect your thoughts of the older coins coming in with the fill dirt may be the case. Looking at the nail you dug close by. It's old and been in the ground a long time.

• Like 1

Great find on the barber, and good luck on your next hunt.

• Thanks 1