Native American Artifacts??

A couple of weeks ago when the snow was still a foot deep, I decided to walk a local creek. I walked about an 1/8th of a mile and found some pretty unique items. The first was, what I think is an Axe head or some kind of utility item. The second is a strange rock that looks like flint. Not sure if this is the case or not. This little creek has a lot of  Lenape and colonial settlement history.  I wasn't going to post this because I thought, maybe it's not what I think, But the longer I thought about it the more I wanted to get some answers. I hope my fellow DP members can point me in the right direction.

IMG_1954.jpg

IMG_1955.jpg

IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_1961 (1).jpg

• Like 6

It might even be an Adze too. Either one would be great!

• Like 1

Definitely an axe head, The rock looks more like Chert. That was also used for making arrowheads. 🙂

• Like 2

Here's a picture of how an Adze would look like.

adze.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

The thing that stands out is that your piece is only grooved on one side? Or is it grooved on both sides? There are groups on Facebook that you could look over their finds, probably without joining (hopefully) and see what they have found. Maybe there is something similar posted there. Keep looking at that spot you found that at. Where there is one artifact, there are usually more.

• Like 2

School, It's grooved only on one side.

• Like 1

Grooved on one side could be so the rope holds it in place. I don't think they had ISO standards back then...

Very cool

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, kac said:

Grooved on one side could be so the rope holds it in place. I don't think they had ISO standards back then...

Very cool

Yeah 😄 How dare them have no standards. That's what makes me lean toward Adze. They only need one side grooved for that. Google the heck out of Axes and adze, using images and see which one it fits better as.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Terrific finds dog,

Especially the adzes! There are several sites to help identify your finds! Depending on your area's geology, they may have been traded items from other area tribes! 

The flint/churt, and arrowheads that I find in Georgia have a weathered whitish outer layer, and inside can look similar to yours! I've been told that they are older when they have that weathered layer! The fields I hunt have washed the older items down over the newer ones!👍👍

• Like 1