Gold Earring With The 6” And Park 2

Last weekend I posted about a silver earring back I found in this park area I have been working that has yielded a couple good finds. This weekend I found this gold earring. Not too heavy, hollow, but 14k on the stud and came out nice and shinny. 

I’ve gridded this area in both directions with the 11”, Park 1 and Park 2. Going over it now in Park 2 again with the 6” and working the lower numbers. This gold earring was a 2-3 VDI, mostly 3. 

So I’ve proved to myself that with good patience and putting in the time I can find small jewelry at parks. But, is it worth it?  So much foil. Maybe in sand at the beach?  

The challenge and process of working this area is fun and interesting in a way but it has not yielded anything significant or I don’t feel I have left much behind. Have no idea how I missed that spoon though...  it wasn’t a super strong signal and it was deepish, a little iffy. Very few coins, pull tabs or anything in that range. No more rings. Anything iffy that is a high tone and grunt, rusty bits and nails, mostly one direction (F2=2 Eq 600). I’ve not dug up anything iffy that has surprised me or even a deep dime or copper penny, etc.

Takes a lot of time and patience to walk behind that 6”. And I’m not even sure the 11” would not have found that gold earring had I dug lower numbers with the 11”. Maybe not the earring back?  I still have a bit more of this area to work and then some other areas where I have cleaned up the higher toned stuff and some nickels where I need to do the mid numbers and down to about just below nickels. Is it worth it to do the really low single digits for a couple tiny missed things like this?  Hmmmm

C2C82AB4-F2AE-448A-AD0F-982C73674A6D.jpeg

79F4EE9C-4DB0-4FF1-B110-90537F2FEAF3.jpeg

DD28F3DF-F58B-45EC-B242-DE56D0B10ACD.jpeg

• Like 6

I'd say you're doing great with that coil but I understand your questioning whether you'd find small stuff with the 11". 

Gotta say in its defense that I've turned up really tiny stuff like shoe eyelets and other small circular bits. 😀 The farmhouses I've been working are extremely trashy, lots of nails and cans. I can imagine how long it would take to cover 2 acres gridding with the 6". 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 8:14 PM, F350Platinum said:

I'd say you're doing great with that coil but I understand your questioning whether you'd find small stuff with the 11". 

Gotta say in its defense that I've turned up really tiny stuff like shoe eyelets and other small circular bits. 😀 The farmhouses I've been working are extremely trashy, lots of nails and cans. I can imagine how long it would take to cover 2 acres gridding with the 6". 🙂

Yeah, now that I have a second shaft to make quick swaps, I am trying to put some time on the 6” when I have the patience on areas I have already covered with the 11”.  Just to prove to myself what the 6” can do. 

It takes so much more time to cover area with this small coil. 

I think it is good for specific and smaller areas that have produced other stuff. 

• Like 1