1786 - A Good Year

That is a great coin! Usually you will find either holes or tooth marks in them 😀 I've never had one ID at anything over 22 with similar settings, yours might be better silver.

I'd like to see a pic of the token you dug.

Extreme detecting for sure.  Possibly getting jumped doesn’t sound fun.   Great or more like awesome find though.  Worth it! 

1 hour ago, F350Platinum said:

That is a great coin! Usually you will find either holes or tooth marks in them 😀 I've never had one ID at anything over 22 with similar settings, yours might be better silver.

I'd like to see a pic of the token you dug.

Here are the pictures so far.  i really don't want to mess with it too much.  The obverse ill call the building.  Above the building, it says Merchant.

on the reverse, i can make out some letters, but no words, yet.  i really have no idea if it is actually very old, with the highly varied sink rates.  copper sure doesnt do well in that soil, though.

TOKEN1.jpg

TOKEN2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Good looking coin for sure!

Good luck on your next hunt and bring bear spray for the dogs.

11 hours ago, rod-pa said:

a cross between a black lab and an elephant

Haha... I think I know that breed from my own adventures!  Awesome Silver amongst all the pitfalls you had to navigate Rod! 

So even in that heavy trash, you found the recovery 3 was able to keep up?  Interesting... I usually run recovery 4, but have been thinking about toying with lower recovery numbers based on some comments.  I usually bump up the recovery in high trash... just learning as I go here.  ~Tim.

On the 600 I've turned recovery speed down to 2 for sites that don't have a lot of trash. Seems to give the machine more time to "read" everything and definitely get greater depth.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Tiftaaft said:

Haha... I think I know that breed from my own adventures!  Awesome Silver amongst all the pitfalls you had to navigate Rod! 

So even in that heavy trash, you found the recovery 3 was able to keep up?  Interesting... I usually run recovery 4, but have been thinking about toying with lower recovery numbers based on some comments.  I usually bump up the recovery in high trash... just learning as I go here.  ~Tim.

I do vary the recovery setting sometimes.  When I am looking for deep targets in the trash, I swing really really slow, in the belief/hope/feeling I am reaching deeper, keeping recovery as slow as I can.  I will also switch to pinpoint mode and cast a wider ring around a questionable target to map the targets close to it, getting pictures of size and depth of the area around my target. Helps most when I have a nice one-way, when I can tell there is a large iron off to the opposite side.  Have gotten nice one way items that way.

• Like 1