Help For An Old Whites Gold Master

My neighbor who was a friend of my grandfather needs some advice to improve his old Gold Master detector.

He is wanting to know if a different coil will help him in finding gold and other items better.

The detector is a TR-Discriminator Model 66TR with a D stamped next to the model number.

He is wanting to go gold hunting with me and wants to see if there is something better than what looks like a 8 inch coil on it.

My question is would a different coil help him or not, and if so which one and where to get one.

To everyone who reads this I thank you for any help you can give.

I forgot to mention that the detector used to be his fathers some 40 years ago and he wants to use it if possible.

Caleb

I suppose compared to what else was available at the time the 66TR could once have been considered a competent gold hunter. Not today. There is nothing you can do to it that will make it a fraction as good as even a mundane modern nugget detector. If he wants to use it then I suggest taking it out for some coin hunting. A few years ago I ran into a lady hunting a park with a White's 49er TR (same circuit as the 66TR) and she was still popping out coins, just not very deep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My second detector was an old TR Goldmaster, and I still have the Alaskan chestmount version of the machine. Right now I can buy something for $50 with more power. There is no point in investing in machines this old for any reason but to collect them, as literally almost anything made now outperforms them. A Nokta/Makro Pulsedive pinpointer would have better performance. :smile:

whites-electronics-blue-box-goldmaster-1974.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I wish to thank both of you who replied to this so I can let my friend know what he has.

I will also let him know to check into something else for what he wants to do with it.

Caleb