Farmhouse #3 Wrap Up - Relics, Coin

Finished up the farmhouse I started yesterday, I know I'm finished when there are nearly no signals in two+ passes. I will hack around a bit just to be certain.

Today was padlock day, got two and a possible third. The brass lock marked Red Cross was found when I went to an area that was not fully covered on a hunch. It has a unique back, they call it a Maltese Cross but since this house was standing in the 1860s I think it might be something else. 🤔 Fairly common lock but none for sale recently. The other is a Slaymaker "Old Guard" with the shackle long since rusted away. Can't find any info on it.

Giant piece of plumbing marked Wilson MFG Co. Looks like maybe a closet rod holder or maybe a sink trap?

The rectangular object next to it appears to be part of a third lock, it is only half of it. Shield looking thing looks like it was attached to a rod, no clue. Interesting find is the large rimfire cartridge, looks to be over 40 caliber and has two opposing rim strikes. It is marked US.

And last, 1935 wheat penny. Not an epic day but at least I found some stuff worth showing. It will be my last for a bit, farmers are putting down lime and fertilizer, and I am going to spend a few days getting my RV ready for a trip. Taking the Equinox (and my wife) to the shore! 😀

20210322_184352.jpg

20210322_184448.jpg

• Like 8

Nice finds again, where are you off to next now that you picked that area to the bones.

Good luck on your next hunt.

2 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Nice finds again, where are you off to next now that you picked that area to the bones.

Good luck on your next hunt.

Going south to an RV resort at the beach. Lots of detectorists go there so I don't expect to find much but I want to get my "feet wet" with the Equinox. When I come back I want to try my wet feet at river hunting. 😀

The farmers are going to dig a little more this year, they should turn up new stuff for next fall. They own a lot of other properties in my region, I hope they will let me hunt some of those as well.

• Like 1

F350,

First, the wrap up finds are very nice! I hope the farmers churn up a bunch more! Great job!!

Did you have to work out a deal with the property owner? And does he look at what you find? Did he say keep whatever you find, Other than gold!!??

What beach area are you heading too? I wish you much luck there!! If you need any beach tips, I'd be glad to help with some areas to focus on!!😁👍👍

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

F350,

Did you have to work out a deal with the property owner, or did he say keep whatever you find, Other than gold!!??😁👍👍

I've been lucky so far, every landowner has in one way or another (I try to get their responses in text or email) expressed that I can keep everything I find. I have sent photos of my displays to a couple of them.

I'd like to think that if I ever find something of immense value I'd offer them either the item or a portion of what remuneration I received. If I find one thing that merely pays for the stuff I bought for this hobby, I'd be happy!

I don't have any expectation that would happen however, I learned that from being a musician and a photographer. 😀 

Going to a beach outside of Savannah. It has lots of history and reasonable metal detecting rules but I think I'll talk to the local sheriff's office about where I can and can't go. 🙂 I've been watching videos made by people who hunt there, I may know of one place they don't usually go. I've been going there every year for the last 15.

• Like 3

I'm out of likes, but I've got to tell you! My daughter is finishing up a four degree for photography! And her longtime boyfriend is a musician!! Is there any hope for them making a decent living??😂🤣 

Ah, so you are not a new beach hunter!! I've been to Savannah a few times, and always wished I had a detector! But I always had my eyes glued to the ground when walking all over the area!👍👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, Joe D. said:

I'm out of likes, but I've got to tell you! My daughter is finishing up a four degree for photography! And her longtime boyfriend is a musician!! Is there any hope for them making a decent living??😂🤣

Nope. Tell 'em the same thing my mother told me:

"Make art your 'avocation' rather than your vocation. Then you can afford to do it"

I took her advice, joined the Army, got free college and spent my career chasing the Pinnacle of Underachievement. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, they are both gonna get a wakeup call soon, when they have to start supporting themselves!  She also has an art background, and he's a drummer! So we will see...👍👍

12 minutes ago, Joe D. said:

Ah, so you are not a new beach hunter!! I've been to Savannah a few times, and always wished I had a detector! But I always had my eyes glued to the ground when walking all over the area!👍👍

Tough to keep up with you but you're not alone, 🤣 I edit like you.

I'm a TOTAL noob at beach hunting, only time I've ever stuck a detector in the water was recently at a steamboat landing right next to my house. I found a rotten old IHP, corroded to the point it looked like gold. Went back and found two more. 😀 I've just looked for shells...

There appears to be quite a bit of protocol involved in beach hunting - tides, waterlines, "coin lines", etc. Too little time to get and read a book so videos and odd bits of advice are about all I can get right now. Just like there are no magic settings that make the Equinox not find pull tabs and bottle caps, I don't expect any miracles. I'll take any advice except "don't do it" 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Nope. Tell 'em the same thing my mother told me:

"Make art your 'avocation' rather than your vocation. Then you can afford to do it"

I took her advice, joined the Army, got free college and spent my career chasing the Pinnacle of Underachievement. 😉

Man!! I hope that's not the case for her! Those four years were expensive! I need to find the goodies on one of my Treasure Coast visits to cover the cost!!😖🤣 

As far as the bottle caps go! They are fairly easy to discern with the iron audio engaged! There are still some types that fool me, but for the most part, I can skip them! The pull tabs are always in the nickel range 13-14, but also gold ring range so gotta dig them!

Having only detected Hilton Head up that way, I'm sure Savannah beaches are somewhat similar! Bigger tides and much more beach to hunt at low tide! Sand is firmer also, if you can ride bikes on there, like H.H.! Also, the creek outflow areas can have some nice fossils, and artifacts! I read about a couple last year finding a nice big Meg tooth near Savannah!

I walked some outflow creeks in H.H and found broken😪 18th century rum bottles!

I'm hoping your finds are plentiful! Looking forward to your posting some finds from there!! No pressure though!!🤣👍👍 

• Like 1