Silver Coin Spill! Never Thought I'd See The Day

2 hours ago, ShintoSunrise said:

Was trying out high gain, single Frequency on the Nox 600 on one of my spots; got a very deep high tone signal that didn't even register a VDI. 10 minutes of hard digging through wet clay yielded a nice assortment of silver coins. This machine is amazing! 

PXL_20210322_233752425.jpg

So about that meet up we were discussing via PM, still on the table?...lol.

Congrats.  You got most of the denomination bases covered there. Really rare to get a spill like that because that is not something that would easily escape being picked up by just about any detector whose coil crossed over it.  Silver is the first thing that drys up at a site that has been hit by detectorists because it is so easy to differentiate from junk.  So that is really is a once or twice in a lifetime single day haul, these days.  Savor it because it is going to be hard to top. 

BTW - I would hit that spot hard because there could be more silver and possibly a more difficult to detect target lurking there, a small denomination gold coin or two.  Field 2 or Park 2 is probably your best bet because they are higher frequency weighted and better for picking up gold and other mid-conductors like brass and lead.  If I had the Nox 800, I'd also consider gold mode or 20 or 40 khz single frequency.

Good luck!

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

So about that meet up we were discussing via PM, still on the table?...lol.

Congrats.  You got most of the denomination bases covered there. Really rare to get a spill like that because that is not something that would easily escape being picked up by just about any detector whose coil crossed over it.  Silver is the first thing that drys up at a site that has been hit by detectorists because it is so easy to differentiate from junk.  So that is really is a once or twice in a lifetime single day haul, these days.  Savor it because it is going to be hard to top. 

BTW - I would hit that spot hard because there could be more silver and possibly a more difficult to detect target lurking there, a small denomination gold coin or two.  Field 2 or Park 2 is probably your best bet because they are higher frequency weighted and better for picking up gold and other mid-conductors like brass and lead.  If I had the Nox 800, I'd also consider gold mode or 20 or 40 khz single frequency.

Good luck!

Offer still stands, though my time here is running out; I'll be heading west and leaving all this history behind in just a few weeks. And yes I'm absolutely gonna hit that spot hard tomorrow; I was losing daylight today but i don't think that hole was finished! 

• Like 3

Shinto you killed it.  Simply fantastic finds and great job for not walking right past it.  Color me impressed. 

• Thanks 1

Good read.  Well found.  You have envious readers on this thread.

Fantastic finds and great looking coins.

Good luck on your next hunt and please go over that area again to find what you missed.

Super find. Judging from those dates, I'm thinking the Indians were early dates too, possibly even a Flying Eagle in the bunch. In tough soils, targets hide easily. Use that pinpointer in the hole even if the Nox does not register anything. Open holes can trick a detector sometimes. Hope there is more there for you.

Can you shed a little light as to the location itself ?   Eg.:  Stage stop ?  homestead (cellar-hole, or whatever) ?  etc...     Because machine-settings are one-thing.  But the bigger picture (of "tricks to find old coins) is:  Location location location.   Right ?

• Like 1

Final tally after going back at dawn this morning to clean out the rest of the spill hole:

1 large one cent, date illegible

4 Indian heads, dates illegible

3 seated dimes, 1856, 1857 and 1862

2 seated half dimes, 1858 and 1854

1 silver quarter, 1858

1 trime, 1861

All for now! 

PXL_20210323_141046867.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1