1787 - An Equally Good Year

Pretty cool find and I don’t think Tom will find one In the greater Monterey area.  The shield side is really neat.  

I have a copy of the Whitman Encyclopedia of Colonial and Early American Coins.  a bunch of pages on the known varieties of the New Jersey Copper.  I got these pics from an auction site for this particular variety.  It is a Maris 48 - G.  The number is the obverse, and the G is the reverse, each for 1787, and they are the only ones that match the particulars on my coin.  Pretty cool how it works, and identifies the date 100%.

1787 Jersey Maris 48-G obv.jpg

1787 Jersey Maris 48-G.jpg

• Like 2

haha, great launching point for your post 😆   We have a HARD TIME matching you east coast guys on a date-by-dates basis.  So if I can even TIE any of you, I'll accept that, haha

And very few coppers of that era made it out here from the east, or up from Latin America, to Alta CA.  We get VERY few colonial coppers or fractional copper reales here.   We will get busts and early seateds, before we EVER get any LC's or colonial coppers.  The reason is, that since alta CA was at the remotest ends of the earth, in those days, that therefore, when anyone was getting ready to travel here (or send cargo, manufactured goods, etc...) , they had to be conscious of space & weight.  Therefore they tended to reach for a bust half, a gold coin, etc...  Instead of "50 LC's " or "500 LC's", etc....  when getting ready to move their life to the west coast.

• Like 1

Very nice find for your area for sure, glad it happened to you.

Good luck on your next hunt and keep hitting that location.

12 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

haha, great launching point for your post 😆   We have a HARD TIME matching you east coast guys on a date-by-dates basis.  So if I can even TIE any of you, I'll accept that, haha

And very few coppers of that era made it out here from the east, or up from Latin America, to Alta CA.  We get VERY few colonial coppers or fractional copper reales here.   We will get busts and early seateds, before we EVER get any LC's or colonial coppers.  The reason is, that since alta CA was at the remotest ends of the earth, in those days, that therefore, when anyone was getting ready to travel here (or send cargo, manufactured goods, etc...) , they had to be conscious of space & weight.  Therefore they tended to reach for a bust half, a gold coin, etc...  Instead of "50 LC's " or "500 LC's", etc....  when getting ready to move their life to the west coast.

yes, well you get all the "S" mint and "CC" mint drops.