Dumb Facts - Africa Gets The Good Stuff (gm1000 & Gpx6000) Before Australia & U.S.A. - With A Laugh

I don’t know but some people wouldn’t be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

Gerry if that chap stick is not helping it could be your using it on the wrong end .

Chuck 

• Haha 6

On 3/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, Dances With Doves said:

I wonder if they send it to  Africa first because they do it for a living to put food on the table for their families.

It's where the majority of sales are. That simple. They also have to get as big a jump on the counterfeiters as possible, so the early sales in Africa are all important in that regard.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/forums/topic/13913-minelab-2020-full-year-report/

minelab-global-footprint-2020.jpg

When they decided to sell the Gold Monster in the U.S., you'd think they'd have put in a standard rod and 12V charger. But that would have slowed things down, and somebody pointed out people would probably buy it anyway, so why bother. That's kind of what we are down to with this. Actually, in my opinion White's made a better Gold Monster in the 24K due to that oversight, but unfortunately it was too little, too late for White's. And now even that option is gone, though hopefully not forever.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Dumb Facts - Africa Gets The Good Stuff (gm-1000 & Gpx-6000) Before Australia/usa, With A Laugh
1 minute ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Minelab has reached monopoly status in some ways, especially as regards gold prospecting. 

That's exactly what pisses me off about the American detector manufactures.  Fisher (an American company) patented the 1st MD'er in 1931 and still in business today (but slowly bleeding).

Garrett, the next best thing is their dumbbell weight ATX Deep Seeker (which needed redesigned 3 yrs ago).

Tesoro and White's have died off.

I'm coming to the conclusion in my 45 yrs of detecting, the American Engineers are not as bright (I won't use STUDIP), but give me a break.  What does the future of Fisher and Garrett hold?  I'm starting to read the bathroom wall writings and it's not looking good and it's certainly not in Arabic either.  But maybe it should?

• Like 7

I think Garrett still has a decent shot, if they can digest the White's acquisition and use the tech infusion to help catch up. Apex + V3i = ???? ATX + TDI = ??? At least they have a coherent product line, with both Multi and PI products.

First Texas? I called the old Fisher going away, then Tesoro, then White's. Sorry to say FT is next on my "weak player" list. Not so much lack of resources, as lack of vision. Half the product line is literally last century. They made some big bets on multi that failed, and are now making big bets on PI in a way that baffles me. Chasing the beach market first, while Minelab continues to mine the miners? I can't think of anything more niche than beach PI, so FT had better have some non-PI product in the pipeline somewhere that will impress people used to Equinox. Bottom line is they are strong financially, so not likely to go away, but they may just finally be what they really are now - Bounty Hunter. A low cost retailer supplying big box stores with cheap detectors. Give up on trying to do cutting edge, and just go mass market all the way. That's my expectation for First Texas.

So for me it's kind of a grudge match between Garrett and Minelab, with Garrett suddenly finding itself getting lonely out there. They really do not have much product I'd want right now, but they could fix that if they wanted to. A new 24K? I'd get one before I'd get another Gold Monster. A light ATX with light coils for $1999 or less? I'm sure it would sell well, and I'd look hard at it if the physical design was right. Garrett could do it, but the current crew is getting pretty old. Do they have the burning desire, that's the question I have. But at least they seem to have woken up to the threat, and made a strategic move to respond. Finally.

• Like 4

Gerry I hear you and you can bitch until hell freeze over but it will be the same thing when Minelab has something new again.

Minelab is almost to the point of not having any competition. So as long it continue we will always get the short end of the stick.

Chuck 

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Dumb Facts - Africa Gets The Good Stuff (gm1000 & Gpx6000) Before Australia & U.S.A. - With A Laugh