Got a package from @steveg today, I am proud to be the first to buy one of his "Woodland Camo" shafts and a counterweight setup. Version 2 of my Equinox was a DetectEd Redbelly shaft and cuff:
The Redbelly is great, I've used it everywhere. Light, locks up nicely. I have no problem with it.
Steve posted his new selection and I just had to have one. It's a bit more rigid than the DetectEd shaft, possibly because of the Realtree wrap. It might be a bit heavier but I haven't noticed it. The heavy clear coat makes it really shiny. I also bought the 7" counterweight with enough bags for a 15" coil, it's black carbon fiber but looks good. Right now I don't need it but it's good to have it if I do.
Here's the new setup:
I'm keeping the DetectEd cuff as it has no guide pin so I can put it wherever I want. I have a neoprene cushion on it.
Also managed to snag a Detecting Innovations sticker to match. Perfect! 😎 Thanks to Steve for this awesome high quality offering.
"There are many like it but this one is mine". 🇺🇸
I have an 800 that I use at the beach. Sometimes it drops and this causes the plastic stand to break. I glue it but it has happened about 3 times and soon I won't be able to glue it.
It is time to get a new cuff/stand. I'm really not interested in new shafts but ...
I use the 15" more than any coil if that makes a difference.
By Joe Beechnut OBN
Hopefully this Fix will allow me non-delayed hunting. Not beautiful,... but functions.
Took out the bottom pin on the shaft leaving the top, seems to be the weak link area. Cut a 5.5 inch (14cm) piece of 25 x 23mm Carbon fiber, slid it over the weak area with about a 2mm space between the shaft and the carbon fiber..... Cut slots on both sides so the CF tube goes all the way to the bottom. Sealed the bottom of the CF tube, and poured a 2 part 24 hour dry epoxy into the void. Let that dry for a few hours then started pouring the epoxy down the top of the shaft to fill the hollow area in the lower clevis insert. I'm sure i added some weight with all of the epoxy added but maybe a good thing. Hope to find out this week, planning my first (real hunt) Thursday with the AQ since my accident in Jan...,
Interesting, I am sure the slow dry epoxy filled in the area where I took the lower pin out. I had filled the void and did not give it much time to dry when I started to fill the main shaft with epoxy.. I soon noticed it was forcing out the epoxy in the void so I stopped and gave it enough time to firm up, then continue. I'm not sure where the inter was leaking thru to the outer. Unless it was coming out the pin holes where I pulled both earlier. I never pulled the clevis joint to see if it was solid, but it is now.
The Apex balance/weight is very good but as I thought it could still be improved , I decided to update it a little bit ... 🙂
My modifs :
1) polymer lower shaft replaced by an home made carbon shaft : 30g saved
2) aluminium mid shaft replaced by an home made carbon shaft : 40g saved
3) rubber handle replaced by a lighter foam handle : 30g saved
4) armrest replaced by a lighter and wider ML Vanquish armrest 50g saved
note : I have kept the original aluminium S shaped upper shaft , just the lower and mid shafts have been replaced by carbon shafts
Total : 150g saved
After these modifs my Apex/Ripper only weights 960g /2.1 lbs 👍!
( vs 1110g/ 2.4lbs for the original Apex/Ripper )
I spent a little time doing this but it was worth the effort , very few detectors weigh under 1kg , and now my Apex balance is almost the same as a Deus/Orx and it is very fun to use in the field ... 🙂