Here’s My Solution To The Equinox Balance Issue

NCtoad

I have one of the first runs of the equinox.  Got on a wait list with a dealer and got mine in April or May of 2018 (please correct me if I’m wrong on this, but I think I’ve had my nox for 3 years now).  I had a slight case of the shaft wobble issue and ended up getting an Anderson carbon fiber upper and lower rods.  When Steve first came out with his rods I inquired about getting just the upper from him mostly for the cam lock, but also for the balance pod.  We sent some messages back and forth and realized that the Anderson lower rod was a slightly larger diameter and wasn’t compatible with Steve’s upper rod.  Since I had just shelled out $150 on the Anderson I decided I would make my own balance pod.  I had some 6/6 nylon rod and had this big piece of aluminum left over from another project.  You can see from the pic how it works.  The aluminum counter weight can be slid closer or farther from the fulcrum point (the equinox control box grip) to fine tune the balance.  I forget what the nylon rod and counter weight weighs, but even with the counter weight slid all the way to the end, it still doesn’t perfectly balance the 11” coil, however it’s nearly perfect for the 6” coil.  I wanted the overall weight of the detector as light as possible, but still help significantly with the balance.  I think I got it at a fairly sweet spot between balance and overall weight.  

E114EB14-033E-4033-854E-21BB934A35F9.jpeg

• Like 7

Not to downplay Steve G's great shafts and balance system, they are awsome!  But I have a soft spot for diy fixes!

Good job!!👍👍

• Like 1

Great idea Tom,

And you have a very nice back yard!👍👍

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tom Slick said:

Here's mine. Snap on what ever size socket you want. The socket pictured weighs 16 oz. I don't use it as I like the way my "S" rod mod. swings.

IMG_0014.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

Brilliant! If you need more weight and have a beat up socket you could fill it with lead.

I second your great backyard and lawn. 🙂

• Like 1

I switched from adding weight to a bungee tether attached to the arm cuff strap. It seems to pull the coil directly up the axis of the shaft as compared to attaching it to the handle. But alternatively I have a weight that can be pressed into the shaft end, but I prefer not adding weight. 

• Like 1

I made a really nice counter balance weight with a piece of carbon tube and some lead. It looked just as good as the one that you can buy.  The trade off is yes the balance is better but now the detector is heavier.  It just replaced one problem with another problem.  If I had the big coil, I would go the bungee route like I did with my Explorer.  The best material to use for the cord is surgical tubing which they sell at Home Depot and other stores.