My First Silver: 1916 S (?) Mercury Dime

6 hours ago, KellycoDetectors said:

Time might have turned the fasces into one gnarly log, but a Merc is till beautiful even when it's been through the wringer.

The Merc is the prettiest and coolest coin I've ever seen, in person or online.

The Nokta machines hit silver pretty well. If the Multi Kruzer is too much the single frequency 14khz one will do well too. I use 14khz for the most part now and only use the other 2 frequencies in special cases as depth difference is minimal between the 5, 14 & 19.

Did you go around the foundation of your house?

2 hours ago, kac said:

The Nokta machines hit silver pretty well. If the Multi Kruzer is too much the single frequency 14khz one will do well too. I use 14khz for the most part now and only use the other 2 frequencies in special cases as depth difference is minimal between the 5, 14 & 19.

Did you go around the foundation of your house?

I have not. But this Merc was found about 8 feet from one of my house's corners. However, I don't know it's original position, as it was part of the dirt that was churned up when some PVC drainage pipe was installed a few years ago. But I can't imagine it being more than a few feet from its original location.

• Like 1

I did pretty good in an old school yard where sprinkler systems were installed. The dirt had been excavated leaving some large cents near the surface. Dirt was pushed in from the old farm that used to be there. Bit of research on your property might lead to some clues. One place to look is www.historicaerials.com where they have a viewer. On the flip side, I found a 1960's class ring very deep where some drainage pipes were put in so finds can get burried deeper.

Do have to be mindful of any electrical work that might have been done.

• Like 2

What Kac said! 😎

I called before I dug. The Equinox picks up my underground power lines quite well, bit it helps to have them come out and paint.

57 minutes ago, kac said:

I did pretty good in an old school yard where sprinkler systems were installed. The dirt had been excavated leaving some large cents near the surface. Dirt was pushed in from the old farm that used to be there. Bit of research on your property might lead to some clues. One place to look is www.historicaerials.com where they have a viewer. On the flip side, I found a 1960's class ring very deep where some drainage pipes were put in so finds can get burried deeper.

Do have to be mindful of any electrical work that might have been done.

I'll check that website out, thanks.

As for electrical lines, I've already clipped one!

Live an learn...

• Oh my! 1