Compact Digging Tool

Hey folks, I'm always trying to small down my kit and I've been successful in stuffing all my gear(detector etc.) into a nice compact light weight backpack for back country/far from the road excursions, with the exception of my digging tool, I'm looking for something that is strong enough not to break on me when I'm 3miles from the truck that fits in my pack. A take down shovel of some sort would be great. I've tried mil surp. trenching tools and they don't agree with me. If anyone has suggestions and experience with any particular model  I would love to hear them before I start having a tool custom built for me which will be expensive and take time. If this post is in the wrong spot please move to the appropriate group!

Thanks

Digging tools can be heavy also. Consider a custom or self made digger from a light material. Duralumin is used in aircrafts/aeroplanes because it is stronger as compared to steel and also for the fact that it is lighter in weight. A source could be found from a wrecked plane.

• Like 1

Depending on the type of shovel you prefer,  a titainum shovel is the lightest weight vs strength metal preferred by hikers! Like the high grade aluminum, it also another option! Though it may be more expensive, it is lighter and more durable than aluminum! Here are a few examples from a quick search!

When I hike, I always have a walking stick for stability and defense! You could adapt one end of a walking stick to accept a shovel head when you get to your location! That way, only the shovel head will need to be on or in your pack! A couple stainless screws will secure it reliably! Good luck!👍👍

20210326_091453.jpg

20210326_091509.jpg

• Like 5

Something like this might work for you.  I have a 1 inch wide cast aluminum (actually two identical, one made in England and one in Canada) garden trowel for working between tree roots.  It's not the same brand as the one I linked, though, and I don't know if it's still made.  It's quite sturdy but will not wear as well as the special steel used in the Lesches (and kac's devil tooth or whatever he calls it).  But aluminum sure is lighter.

Here's an image of the brand I have -- Masta Struk (England).  I don't know if they are still made.

masta_struk.jpeg.91077b11c87f4cd4ee6621ff454edf53.jpeg

• Like 1

Do Predator make custom versions of their tools, like short-handled ones ?

Here in the UK, Evolution Products will make 'short' versions of their spade, and their long-handled trowel has a plain shaft so could be shortened by yourself. Probably expensive to import, though.

https://www.metaldetectingauction.com/listing/evolution-pro-trowel-with-teeth-long-version/104855

I recommend a powerful Fiskars Army folding shovel..

• Like 2

You might look at the new NoktaMakro shovel that was recently introduced. It is a sturdy take down design.

6 hours ago, JCR said:

You might look at the new NoktaMakro shovel that was recently introduced. It is a sturdy take down design.

Thanks, I had a look at that one, its shortest length is 31" collapsed I need 18" or under to fit in my pack

• Oh my! 1

45 minutes ago, Scarfoot said:

Thanks, I had a look at that one, its shortest length is 31" collapsed I need 18" or under to fit in my pack

Joe D's walking staff suggestion seems a practical solution. You could change out shovel heads to suit digging conditions.

• Like 1