Compact Digging Tool

11 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Something like this might work for you.  I have a 1 inch wide cast aluminum (actually two identical, one made in England and one in Canada) garden trowel for working between tree roots.  It's not the same brand as the one I linked, though, and I don't know if it's still made.  It's quite sturdy but will not wear as well as the special steel used in the Lesches (and kac's devil tooth or whatever he calls it).  But aluminum sure is lighter.

Here's an image of the brand I have -- Masta Struk (England).  I don't know if they are still made.

masta_struk.jpeg.91077b11c87f4cd4ee6621ff454edf53.jpeg

I found the top one you have at a old boy  scout   camp camp and it's made in  Canada.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

I recommend a powerful Fiskars Army folding shovel..

Thanks for the recommendation it looks like they have 5star reviews i think i will try one, I had a gerber given to me and it seems quite fragile.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Depending on the type of shovel you prefer,  a titainum shovel is the lightest weight vs strength metal preferred by hikers! Like the high grade aluminum, it also another option! Though it may be more expensive, it is lighter and more durable than aluminum! Here are a few examples from a quick search!

When I hike, I always have a walking stick for stability and defense! You could adapt one end of a walking stick to accept a shovel head when you get to your location! That way, only the shovel head will need to be on or in your pack! A couple stainless screws will secure it reliably! Good luck!👍👍

20210326_091453.jpg

20210326_091509.jpg

I will try one of the detachable heads and walking staff for handle thanks!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Scarfoot said:

Thanks for the recommendation it looks like they have 5star reviews i think i will try one, I had a gerber given to me and it seems quite fragile.

It is a surprisingly very strong blade made of high quality durable steel .... and the handle is made of a polymer - reinforced with fibers ..... Fiskars Army can be used as a pure digging tool after a simple turning of the blade by 90 degrees ... And a big plus is extreme compactness in the closed position ,,,

IMG_20201227_131842_718.jpg

IMG_20201227_132101_105.jpg

• Like 1

The first one that Joe showed is great I have used mine for years when bushwalking. It was more than great for digging holes for toilet use in all ground type. The titanium is super.

20210326_091453.jpg

• Like 3