Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I was one of the first to get an 800 in the United States.  I got on Bill's waiting list several months before the release.  Since then I've had to replace the control unit because of a broken switch.  Everything has worked well and I've found lots of good targets.  Along the way I bought a pair of Avantree headphones and they work fine but I prefer the Minelabs.

Today I put them on the USB charger.  I've had to fiddle with several different power cords the last few months but eventually I get the red charging lights to come on and that was the same today.  When I picked them and the charged 800 up the charging lights were out per normal.  When I got to the beach to connect I couldn't get the 'on' tones for the headphones.  They were completely dead.  I've since fiddled with them and tried multiple cables that had charged them before but I can't get the 3 little red charging lights to come on.  I've cleaned the mini leads with alcohol and jiggled everything but no go.

Is it dead?  haha

I'll use the Avantree until I can get another pair of the originals.  They don't need to be new.

  • Like 2
  • Oh my! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I was one of the first to get an 800 in the United States.  I got on Bill's waiting list several months before the release.  Since then I've had to replace the control unit because of a broken switch.  Everything has worked well and I've found lots of good targets.  Along the way I bought a pair of Avantree headphones and they work fine but I prefer the Minelabs.

Today I put them on the USB charger.  I've had to fiddle with several different power cords the last few months but eventually I get the red charging lights to come on and that was the same today.  When I picked them and the charged 800 up the charging lights were out per normal.  When I got to the beach to connect I couldn't get the 'on' tones for the headphones.  They were completely dead.  I've since fiddled with them and tried multiple cables that had charged them before but I can't get the 3 little red charging lights to come on.  I've cleaned the mini leads with alcohol and jiggled everything but no go.

Is it dead?  haha

I'll use the Avantree until I can get another pair of the originals.  They don't need to be new.

Maybe the battery died?  Will it turn on with an external power cord attached (I have no way to test mine like that as the battery is new).  If you are going to replace it, see if uou can open it up and put in a new LiPo battery.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet someone here has done it.  Now if we had Simon ... haha

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

As a diagnostic, can you plug the ML headphones into the WM08 module to see if that part works? 

Someone said the ML phones are same parts as the SR71 headphones so you might find some battery replacement video or instructions for those. (The new ones have a BT problem with ML but I have not followed that thread, may be OK now)

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I don't like the Minelab phones, the way they press against my ears.  It can get a little painful after an hour or so.  I much prefer my Tronds.

That's a good idea to see if they will work wired or with the module. Then at least you'll know that it's either the battery or the charging system.  You might actually like the module if you haven't used it before.  To me it seems to provide better sound quality than Bluetooth.

Just for kicks, you might also try a different USB cable and/or charger. That might be all that it is.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

Just for kicks, you might also try a different USB cable and/or charger. That might be all that it is.

He said he did that with the cables, but not necessarily with the charger.

What typically happens is that the headphone charge connector solder point fails.

I don't like the ML phones as the ML firmware creates a muddy equalization bias, so I have a couple just laying around.  If interested PM me a reasonable offer.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Reset never hurts, though it may not work in this case. Still, here it is. Owners manual page 56-57:

ML 80 Factory Reset

Factory Reset will return the headphones to factory presets, and will unpair all paired wireless devices.

1. Turn the headphones off.
2. Press and hold the Multi-Function button for approximately 10 seconds, until the headphones beep twice and the Status LED flashes pink.
3. Release the button. The headphones will now be in pairing mode with the LED indicator flashing blue and red.

minelab-equinox-ml80-headphones-instruct

minelab-equinox-ml80-headphones-instruct

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got my 800 early into its release. At just under a year of having it, I experienced headphone failure almost exactly how you describe. I tried everything with no success. I called Minelab and they sent me new headphones  under warranty. If I remember right, they did work corded with the Wm08. I have been using Apple AirPods and like them for general detecting. Good luck

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TrinityBigfoot said:

 I have been using Apple AirPods and like them for general detecting. Good luck

Do your AirPods pair directly to the Nox or through your iPhone?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I use them direct with the Equinox. They aren’t LL, but for causal detecting they work pretty good. I don’t know if the new Apple AirPod pro’s are LL.  I wouldn’t consider the AirPods as an good option for gold hunting. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By CanadianScouser
      As a new member of the forum I suspect this question has been dealt with many times in the past .I am having a problem linking my WM 08 to my Nox 600 .It just does not happen ,full charge on both and 2 ft apart .I have tried at least a dozen times .(headphones not turned on or involved .Can anyone help ?
    • By JimT
      I have asked some and received their ideas and suggestions 
      if you are running wireless which transmitter and headphones are you using. 
       
      What kind of run time are you getting out of the ones you chose ?  
       
      Sound Quality? 
       
      I can get the Z-Link or the Minelab sets up but thought someone might have a really good setup they have ran across
      Thanks 
      Jim
    • By Purplehays69
      Got em today and am blown away so far with music...... Sounds like Dave Matthews voice is in the middle of my head..... WOW.....
    • By pinpointa
      E-mailed Centerville Electronics about Whites replaceable covers for ear muffs. No reply. Does any one know where i can get covers from .I am in Australia. Regards.
    • By mn90403
      Has anyone tried them with a metal detector?
      I came across an article which displayed some Bose audio sunglasses.  The concept was not something I had really considered but when you read about them they are built for athletes that need to be aware of their surroundings to avoid accidents.  We detect in areas where we need to avoid accidents and critters also so hearing outside of headphones is beneficial.  This would also have the potential of eliminating hot and or uncomfortable headphones for me in the desert.  I don't think they could work well at the beach with crashing waves.
      Maybe we can begin a review of these Bose and other audio sunglasses here.  Of course there would need to be some with LL and other technical specifications to work with our equipment but it could also be a new product idea for one of these companies. 
       
      https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/frames/bose-frames-tempo.html#D61A74D4CFE947DB6685D4D8CE1982FC 
    • By Nokta Detectors
      Dear Valued Members,

      We are adding 2 new headphones to our line-up.

      1)NOKTA MAKRO KOSS HEADPHONES W/WATERPROOF CONNECTOR
      Compatible with all waterproof Nokta Makro Detectors – Kruzer/Anfibio/Simplex
      Allows the user to submerge the whole detector in water for shallow underwater hunting.
      (The headphones are not waterproof).

      2)NOKTA MAKRO KOSS HEADPHONES W/6.3mm JACK – for land use

      BOTH HEADPHONES HAVE IN-LINE VOLUME CONTROL, ADJUSTABLE HEADBAND and SPIRAL CABLE.






×
×
  • Create New...