My Minelab Headphones Died?

mn90403

I was one of the first to get an 800 in the United States.  I got on Bill's waiting list several months before the release.  Since then I've had to replace the control unit because of a broken switch.  Everything has worked well and I've found lots of good targets.  Along the way I bought a pair of Avantree headphones and they work fine but I prefer the Minelabs.

Today I put them on the USB charger.  I've had to fiddle with several different power cords the last few months but eventually I get the red charging lights to come on and that was the same today.  When I picked them and the charged 800 up the charging lights were out per normal.  When I got to the beach to connect I couldn't get the 'on' tones for the headphones.  They were completely dead.  I've since fiddled with them and tried multiple cables that had charged them before but I can't get the 3 little red charging lights to come on.  I've cleaned the mini leads with alcohol and jiggled everything but no go.

Is it dead?  haha

I'll use the Avantree until I can get another pair of the originals.  They don't need to be new.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 1

6 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

I was one of the first to get an 800 in the United States.  I got on Bill's waiting list several months before the release.  Since then I've had to replace the control unit because of a broken switch.  Everything has worked well and I've found lots of good targets.  Along the way I bought a pair of Avantree headphones and they work fine but I prefer the Minelabs.

Today I put them on the USB charger.  I've had to fiddle with several different power cords the last few months but eventually I get the red charging lights to come on and that was the same today.  When I picked them and the charged 800 up the charging lights were out per normal.  When I got to the beach to connect I couldn't get the 'on' tones for the headphones.  They were completely dead.  I've since fiddled with them and tried multiple cables that had charged them before but I can't get the 3 little red charging lights to come on.  I've cleaned the mini leads with alcohol and jiggled everything but no go.

Is it dead?  haha

I'll use the Avantree until I can get another pair of the originals.  They don't need to be new.

Maybe the battery died?  Will it turn on with an external power cord attached (I have no way to test mine like that as the battery is new).  If you are going to replace it, see if uou can open it up and put in a new LiPo battery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I bet someone here has done it.  Now if we had Simon ... haha

• Like 1

As a diagnostic, can you plug the ML headphones into the WM08 module to see if that part works? 

Someone said the ML phones are same parts as the SR71 headphones so you might find some battery replacement video or instructions for those. (The new ones have a BT problem with ML but I have not followed that thread, may be OK now)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Personally, I don't like the Minelab phones, the way they press against my ears.  It can get a little painful after an hour or so.  I much prefer my Tronds.

That's a good idea to see if they will work wired or with the module. Then at least you'll know that it's either the battery or the charging system.  You might actually like the module if you haven't used it before.  To me it seems to provide better sound quality than Bluetooth.

Just for kicks, you might also try a different USB cable and/or charger. That might be all that it is.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Badger-NH said:

Just for kicks, you might also try a different USB cable and/or charger. That might be all that it is.

He said he did that with the cables, but not necessarily with the charger.

What typically happens is that the headphone charge connector solder point fails.

I don't like the ML phones as the ML firmware creates a muddy equalization bias, so I have a couple just laying around.  If interested PM me a reasonable offer.

• Thanks 1

Reset never hurts, though it may not work in this case. Still, here it is. Owners manual page 56-57:

ML 80 Factory Reset

Factory Reset will return the headphones to factory presets, and will unpair all paired wireless devices.

1. Turn the headphones off.
2. Press and hold the Multi-Function button for approximately 10 seconds, until the headphones beep twice and the Status LED flashes pink.
3. Release the button. The headphones will now be in pairing mode with the LED indicator flashing blue and red.

minelab-equinox-ml80-headphones-instruct

minelab-equinox-ml80-headphones-instruct

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I got my 800 early into its release. At just under a year of having it, I experienced headphone failure almost exactly how you describe. I tried everything with no success. I called Minelab and they sent me new headphones  under warranty. If I remember right, they did work corded with the Wm08. I have been using Apple AirPods and like them for general detecting. Good luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrinityBigfoot said:

I have been using Apple AirPods and like them for general detecting. Good luck

Do your AirPods pair directly to the Nox or through your iPhone?

I use them direct with the Equinox. They aren’t LL, but for causal detecting they work pretty good. I don’t know if the new Apple AirPod pro’s are LL.  I wouldn’t consider the AirPods as an good option for gold hunting. 

• Like 1