Two Treasures In The Same Hole

That is a great find, coin and gold at the same time!

Great detecting on your part for going after it.

Good luck on your next hunt.

I've had solid IDs on lots of aluminum but that was a great call. Cool stuff!

Double bonus!  What dTID's do these two read when separated?  (I assume the 6d is silver; maybe that's a bad assumption....)

3 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

What dTID's do these two read when separated? 

The coin was 25/26 and the little butterfly was 13.. normally i tend to avoid 13s as it's nearly always a aluminium pull tap..  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Double bonus!  What dTID's do these two read when separated?  (I assume the 6d is silver; maybe that's a bad assumption....)

Hi, yes Victoria 1900 six pence will be .925 silver.

The British silver coins dropped to .500 in 1920 then no silver in 1947 - both dates significant as a couple years after the end of the respective World Wars and the same reason - to help pay the war debt.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stu said:

The British silver coins dropped to .500 in 1920 then no silver in 1947

We're lucky that Australian silver coins minted between 1910 and 1945 contain 92.5% pure silver (sterling silver), later dates until decimal coinage was introduced in 1966 contain 50% silver.. There are some parallels to British silver coins after WWII with Australian silver coins dropping to 50% just as yours did in 1920.. Who says history doesn't repeat itself? Most of my pre-decimal coins were found at a spot I've called the 'Silver Mine'.. It's on the edge of where a grassy embankment meets the beach.. every time there is a heavy downpour or a really high tide, a huge amount of water runs down from inland creeks as well as up from the sea, continually exposing silver coins.. 

• Like 5

Funny how they never upped the content again,,,,guess planning for other wars got that idea dropped .......

(A toll road was built here in Maine when I was a kid , I remember the toll was supposed to go away when the road was paid off ,,,60 years later the tolls are still going up ! LOL )

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 11:22 AM, Erik Oostra said:

We're lucky that Australian silver coins minted between 1910 and 1945 contain 92.5% pure silver (sterling silver), later dates until decimal coinage was introduced in 1966 contain 50% silver.. There are some parallels to British silver coins after WWII with Australian silver coins dropping to 50% just as yours did in 1920.. Who says history doesn't repeat itself? Most of my pre-decimal coins were found at a spot I've called the 'Silver Mine'.. It's on the edge of where a grassy embankment meets the beach.. every time there is a heavy downpour or a really high tide, a huge amount of water runs down from inland creeks as well as up from the sea, continually exposing silver coins.. 

In 1966 the round fifty cent was introduced at 80% silver. The price of silver stopped it in the end. 

• Sad 1