Couldn't Stay Away From My Beach Spot

Man that GPX is a monster! Great haul.

Any idea what you found with the Equinox vs. the GPX?

• Like 1

Great finds again, just wondering if you moved over a little bit like I suggested and if there was an old structure in the middle.

Anyways glad you found some goodies.

Good luck on your next outing.

• Like 1

Great write up, and great job setting up your detectors to do such a great job! That is definitely an art, and a feel for your machines, that I have yet to rise to!! That amount of focus and dedication to work an area is equally impressive! Looking forward to more!👍👍

• Like 1

It is always difficult to leave a good spot and look for new but it has to happen when results lessen.  This spot was certainly a good go but maybe it gives you ideas about other places with more or less targets.

It's been fun watching you get these goodies.

Mitchel

• Like 1

10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Man that GPX is a monster! Great haul.

Any idea what you found with the Equinox vs. the GPX?

In certain situations the GPX is hard to beat. In heavy iron, it will make you quit detecting 😄 I wanted to use the Equinox for pinpointing basically. It does not like this beach's sand mix and does not ID or respond to targets very well. The coins I found were already out of the hole before they read as coins. I dug a random hole (in this target rich area) and used it to find the targets. In the hole, some dimes read -8 up to +15, out of the hole they bounced from 18 to 26 to 35. EMI and the mix of thin layers of black and purple sand drive the Equinox nuts. I ran gold 1 mode. I could only use the EQ this way since there are a decent amount of targets. On the rest of the normal sections of the beach, if you dig random holes you get nothing. Surprisingly, the targets the EQ found included 3/4's of what you see, including half the silver dimes and the Barber half. It was used for most of the hunt. The GPX cleaned up the deep dimes in the area directly below where the EQ was used.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds again, just wondering if you moved over a little bit like I suggested and if there was an old structure in the middle.

Anyways glad you found some goodies.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thanks. I'm sure I used up all my luck though 😄 I think you have me mixed up with jim in ma.  He posted a beach hunt and you wondered if there was a structure near by. But any beach through the ages has things set up that we have no clue existed. Boardwalks, snack areas, kids sections, events, etc... all gone to history. In my case though, I think I am getting to layers that have been there for 50-80 years undisturbed. I have in the course of 4+ years,  found these silver areas at least 4 or 5 times. I must be up to 400 ish silvers from there.  You have to grab them when they are available.

6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Great write up, and great job setting up your detectors to do such a great job! That is definitely an art, and a feel for your machines, that I have yet to rise to!! That amount of focus and dedication to work an area is equally impressive! Looking forward to more!👍👍

Thanks Joe. It is an art I guess. Some of the gold guys have fine tuned their senses to hear subtle tone differences that make them hugely successful. I have not those abilities. 🙄 I think of myself as an opportunists, hitting areas that only a deep machine can barely hit. Just beep and dig. Because the beach has removed all the light trash, it's an easier task then if the area is loaded with aluminum and bottle caps. That is why I pound the area as long as it is available. It's not very often that they come up and even rarer that they stay long enough to get most of what is there. Find an area on your beach that has something about it that is different and stay a while before moving on.  I will be on the move for another spot next time.

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It is always difficult to leave a good spot and look for new but it has to happen when results lessen.  This spot was certainly a good go but maybe it gives you ideas about other places with more or less targets.

It's been fun watching you get these goodies.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, I'm well over due to move on 😄. I've basically run out of real estate. There is another small section I want to try and hit. There are also other sections where I got deep clad (1970's / 1980's), but the chance for silver is way less, so I left those for another day.  There is also another beach I have my eyes on, so we'll see. Beaches change so rapidly from day to day, that another section close by could open up at any time. If I lived there I could check it regularly. That is why I stuck with it for so long. Time to get back to searching for whatever I can get.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

I ran gold 1 mode. 

some dimes read -8 up to +15, out of the hole they bounced from 18 to 26 to 35.

Thanks! That's going to be interesting to me my first time on the beach. Part of the area I'll be hunting may contain some history as well as coins/jewelry but I have a 600, so no gold modes. 🤔 The negative numbers are intriguing. When you say random hole, do you just stop and dig or does something give you a clue, like multiple ID's on a sweep? I've done that before when the Equinox throws a symphony at me, and as I recall I haven't regretted doing it. How different are the gold modes?

I am sure I'll dig it all but some finesse may help. 

3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

finesse

This comes from good target results.  It is how you use your detector to interrogate your targets.  There are simply beaches without good targets.  It may take you 5 times to a big beach to find that out and move on to another beach that does have good targets.  How patient are you?  What is your time worth?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! That's going to be interesting to me my first time on the beach. Part of the area I'll be hunting may contain some history as well as coins/jewelry but I have a 600, so no gold modes. 🤔 The negative numbers are intriguing. When you say random hole, do you just stop and dig or does something give you a clue, like multiple ID's on a sweep? I've done that before when the Equinox throws a symphony at me, and as I recall I haven't regretted doing it. How different are the gold modes?

I am sure I'll dig it all but some finesse may help. 

The gold modes have saved me when the EMI was too much for the EQ. But not having them is not a deal breaker. The machine set up with the stock settings is the way to go for a while, until you get used to digging deep targets. Dig, dig and dig even if the target says it's junk. That is how you learn. The random holes were just that, random.... sort of. 😄  I knew there were a lot of targets in this small section and I knew that they were deep and I knew that the machines were struggling to hear them, so I just dug a 15"x15" hole about 10"deep. Then used the pinpointer to see if anything registered. I also used the Equinox in pinpoint to see if there was anything way deeper than 10". Most times I would get 1-2 targets, some coins, some iron. Other times I get zero. I always buried the holes back up and made sure they were packed solid. Don't want to lose permission to hunt. The negative numbers are a common thing that happens to machines when they reach their limit on a deep target. Also when they are interfered with by EMI or very challenging soil compositions. At this spot both EMI and layered black sand, made targets that should read 26 read 12 or some that were deeper were classified as iron at -8. When I saw -8, I knew that a couple of more scoops would make that iron turn to non iron.  The gold modes to some people can be annoying with a zip zip sound instead of the usual signal you get.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The gold modes have saved me when the EMI was too much for the EQ. But not having them is not a deal breaker. The machine set up with the stock settings is the way to go for a while, until you get used to digging deep targets. Dig, dig and dig even if the target says it's junk. That is how you learn. The random holes were just that, random.... sort of. 😄  I knew there were a lot of targets in this small section and I knew that they were deep and I knew that the machines were struggling to hear them, so I just dug a 15"x15" hole about 10"deep. Then used the pinpointer to see if anything registered. I also used the Equinox in pinpoint to see if there was anything way deeper than 10". Most times I would get 1-2 targets, some coins, some iron. Other times I get zero. I always buried the holes back up and made sure they were packed solid. Don't want to lose permission to hunt. The negative numbers are a common thing that happens to machines when they reach their limit on a deep target. Also when they are interfered with by EMI or very challenging soil compositions. At this spot both EMI and layered black sand, made targets that should read 26 read 12 or some that were deeper were classified as iron at -8. When I saw -8, I knew that a couple of more scoops would make that iron turn to non iron.  The gold modes to some people can be annoying with a zip zip sound instead of the usual signal you get.

That is interesting! I wonder now how much I have been missing in the farms because of the deep negative numbers. 🤔 Probably a good thing, there will be more for me this fall.

Rest assured I will dig everything where I'm going. High potential for historic items in one place. Just not sure about large holes... I don't think there will be black sand.

I've never had a problem with EMI. The only time I have ever heard it here is when I am over a buried power line, that is common here. Kind of a good thing! I keep my cellphone in my back pocket and only hear it when I am taking a photo of my find.

Thanks for your replies! You have a great toolbox there.

• Like 2