Jump to content

Recommended Posts


Man that GPX is a monster! Great haul.

Any idea what you found with the Equinox vs. the GPX?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great finds again, just wondering if you moved over a little bit like I suggested and if there was an old structure in the middle.

Anyways glad you found some goodies.

Good luck on your next outing.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

   Great write up, and great job setting up your detectors to do such a great job! That is definitely an art, and a feel for your machines, that I have yet to rise to!! That amount of focus and dedication to work an area is equally impressive! Looking forward to more!👍👍

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It is always difficult to leave a good spot and look for new but it has to happen when results lessen.  This spot was certainly a good go but maybe it gives you ideas about other places with more or less targets.

It's been fun watching you get these goodies.

Mitchel

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Man that GPX is a monster! Great haul.

Any idea what you found with the Equinox vs. the GPX?

In certain situations the GPX is hard to beat. In heavy iron, it will make you quit detecting 😄 I wanted to use the Equinox for pinpointing basically. It does not like this beach's sand mix and does not ID or respond to targets very well. The coins I found were already out of the hole before they read as coins. I dug a random hole (in this target rich area) and used it to find the targets. In the hole, some dimes read -8 up to +15, out of the hole they bounced from 18 to 26 to 35. EMI and the mix of thin layers of black and purple sand drive the Equinox nuts. I ran gold 1 mode. I could only use the EQ this way since there are a decent amount of targets. On the rest of the normal sections of the beach, if you dig random holes you get nothing. Surprisingly, the targets the EQ found included 3/4's of what you see, including half the silver dimes and the Barber half. It was used for most of the hunt. The GPX cleaned up the deep dimes in the area directly below where the EQ was used.

7 hours ago, Valens Legacy said:

Great finds again, just wondering if you moved over a little bit like I suggested and if there was an old structure in the middle.

Anyways glad you found some goodies.

Good luck on your next outing.

Thanks. I'm sure I used up all my luck though 😄 I think you have me mixed up with jim in ma.  He posted a beach hunt and you wondered if there was a structure near by. But any beach through the ages has things set up that we have no clue existed. Boardwalks, snack areas, kids sections, events, etc... all gone to history. In my case though, I think I am getting to layers that have been there for 50-80 years undisturbed. I have in the course of 4+ years,  found these silver areas at least 4 or 5 times. I must be up to 400 ish silvers from there.  You have to grab them when they are available.

6 hours ago, Joe D. said:

   Great write up, and great job setting up your detectors to do such a great job! That is definitely an art, and a feel for your machines, that I have yet to rise to!! That amount of focus and dedication to work an area is equally impressive! Looking forward to more!👍👍

Thanks Joe. It is an art I guess. Some of the gold guys have fine tuned their senses to hear subtle tone differences that make them hugely successful. I have not those abilities. 🙄 I think of myself as an opportunists, hitting areas that only a deep machine can barely hit. Just beep and dig. Because the beach has removed all the light trash, it's an easier task then if the area is loaded with aluminum and bottle caps. That is why I pound the area as long as it is available. It's not very often that they come up and even rarer that they stay long enough to get most of what is there. Find an area on your beach that has something about it that is different and stay a while before moving on.  I will be on the move for another spot next time.

4 hours ago, mn90403 said:

It is always difficult to leave a good spot and look for new but it has to happen when results lessen.  This spot was certainly a good go but maybe it gives you ideas about other places with more or less targets.

It's been fun watching you get these goodies.

Mitchel

Thanks Mitchel, I'm well over due to move on 😄. I've basically run out of real estate. There is another small section I want to try and hit. There are also other sections where I got deep clad (1970's / 1980's), but the chance for silver is way less, so I left those for another day.  There is also another beach I have my eyes on, so we'll see. Beaches change so rapidly from day to day, that another section close by could open up at any time. If I lived there I could check it regularly. That is why I stuck with it for so long. Time to get back to searching for whatever I can get.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

 I ran gold 1 mode. 

some dimes read -8 up to +15, out of the hole they bounced from 18 to 26 to 35.

Thanks! That's going to be interesting to me my first time on the beach. Part of the area I'll be hunting may contain some history as well as coins/jewelry but I have a 600, so no gold modes. 🤔 The negative numbers are intriguing. When you say random hole, do you just stop and dig or does something give you a clue, like multiple ID's on a sweep? I've done that before when the Equinox throws a symphony at me, and as I recall I haven't regretted doing it. How different are the gold modes?

I am sure I'll dig it all but some finesse may help. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

finesse

This comes from good target results.  It is how you use your detector to interrogate your targets.  There are simply beaches without good targets.  It may take you 5 times to a big beach to find that out and move on to another beach that does have good targets.  How patient are you?  What is your time worth?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, F350Platinum said:

Thanks! That's going to be interesting to me my first time on the beach. Part of the area I'll be hunting may contain some history as well as coins/jewelry but I have a 600, so no gold modes. 🤔 The negative numbers are intriguing. When you say random hole, do you just stop and dig or does something give you a clue, like multiple ID's on a sweep? I've done that before when the Equinox throws a symphony at me, and as I recall I haven't regretted doing it. How different are the gold modes?

I am sure I'll dig it all but some finesse may help. 

The gold modes have saved me when the EMI was too much for the EQ. But not having them is not a deal breaker. The machine set up with the stock settings is the way to go for a while, until you get used to digging deep targets. Dig, dig and dig even if the target says it's junk. That is how you learn. The random holes were just that, random.... sort of. 😄  I knew there were a lot of targets in this small section and I knew that they were deep and I knew that the machines were struggling to hear them, so I just dug a 15"x15" hole about 10"deep. Then used the pinpointer to see if anything registered. I also used the Equinox in pinpoint to see if there was anything way deeper than 10". Most times I would get 1-2 targets, some coins, some iron. Other times I get zero. I always buried the holes back up and made sure they were packed solid. Don't want to lose permission to hunt. The negative numbers are a common thing that happens to machines when they reach their limit on a deep target. Also when they are interfered with by EMI or very challenging soil compositions. At this spot both EMI and layered black sand, made targets that should read 26 read 12 or some that were deeper were classified as iron at -8. When I saw -8, I knew that a couple of more scoops would make that iron turn to non iron.  The gold modes to some people can be annoying with a zip zip sound instead of the usual signal you get.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, schoolofhardNox said:

The gold modes have saved me when the EMI was too much for the EQ. But not having them is not a deal breaker. The machine set up with the stock settings is the way to go for a while, until you get used to digging deep targets. Dig, dig and dig even if the target says it's junk. That is how you learn. The random holes were just that, random.... sort of. 😄  I knew there were a lot of targets in this small section and I knew that they were deep and I knew that the machines were struggling to hear them, so I just dug a 15"x15" hole about 10"deep. Then used the pinpointer to see if anything registered. I also used the Equinox in pinpoint to see if there was anything way deeper than 10". Most times I would get 1-2 targets, some coins, some iron. Other times I get zero. I always buried the holes back up and made sure they were packed solid. Don't want to lose permission to hunt. The negative numbers are a common thing that happens to machines when they reach their limit on a deep target. Also when they are interfered with by EMI or very challenging soil compositions. At this spot both EMI and layered black sand, made targets that should read 26 read 12 or some that were deeper were classified as iron at -8. When I saw -8, I knew that a couple of more scoops would make that iron turn to non iron.  The gold modes to some people can be annoying with a zip zip sound instead of the usual signal you get.

That is interesting! I wonder now how much I have been missing in the farms because of the deep negative numbers. 🤔 Probably a good thing, there will be more for me this fall.

Rest assured I will dig everything where I'm going. High potential for historic items in one place. Just not sure about large holes... I don't think there will be black sand.

I've never had a problem with EMI. The only time I have ever heard it here is when I am over a buried power line, that is common here. Kind of a good thing! I keep my cellphone in my back pocket and only hear it when I am taking a photo of my find.

Thanks for your replies! You have a great toolbox there.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By Gerry in Idaho
      I've read a few posts from those who have both and their input is pretty much what I expected.
      Having fun (especially with others) is the majority of why I enjoy detecting.  Only a select few actually do it for a living and do well.  The rest of us (me included), enjoy the hunt, adventures, comradery with like minded friends, and getting some gold on occasion. It's looking like the GPX-6000 is getting the majority of gold better than the GPZ-7000.  So, is the extra weight worth the rare occasional big nugget?  Lets go a step farther.  Say the ZED hits a 4 ounce nugget at 34".  Will the 6000 hit that same nugget at 30", 32" 33" or 34".  Say it's 2" less and only gets the chunk at 32".  It's still near 3' deep which is deeper than most folks enjoy digging and or most other detectors out there.  
      So the reality for most folks, the GPX-6000 at a cost savings of $2000 and over 2 pounds lighter, better ergonomics, no more tethered into a harness, more user friendly, real wireless Bluetooth phones, is the best option for most.
      Like I said in another post.  There should be a convoy of GPZ users heading down the highway to get the new GPX-6000 and having more fun, more gold more often.  I can help make that smile happen.
      Anyone have a point I am missing or totally off, please chime in.
      Pic of the nugget will probably only be a few inches in depth difference between the 6 and 7.  But the majority of us would probably hear if with both machines at 30 or more.

    • By kac
      Found this on UPI. Beach hunter was able to get a phone back to the owner. Never found a working one here.
      https://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2021/05/05/Joe-Lynch-metal-detector-Fort-Myers-Beach-Florida-iPhone-Lacy-Moulton/7261620247188/
    • By rod-pa
      I know I moan now and then about not having access to many of the S or D mint coins here in Pennsylvania, but this spring I have been on a number of new permissions that have really added quite a bit to the type set I have been building of my dug coins.  It does make me appreciate the wide range of mint years and coins in my area.  Yes, coppers come out pretty ragged some times, but since they aren't getting sold, its no matter.  These weren't all gotten this spring, but ill put an x next to those.  
       
      x New Jersey Copper
      Spanish period counterfeit copper
      x Half cent Classic head 1809-29
      Large cent Liberty Caps, including a 1795 lettered edge
      Large cent Draped busts
      Large cent Classic heads
      Large cent Matron heads
      x Large cent Braided hair
      Flying eagle
      a whole tribe of Indian cents
      x Two Cent
      Trimes
      Shield Nickel - no rays
      Liberty head nickels
      herd of buffalos
      war nickels
      Liberty seated half dime
      Liberty seated dime
      Barber dimes
      Mercurys
      Barber Quarter
      Standing Liberty Quarters
      Walking Liberty Halves 
      Franklin Half
      Peace dollar
       
      NON-US Mints
      1786 Half Reale x2
      x 1801 Reale
      Canadian large cents
      Canadian Bank Tokens
       
      This is not a plug for the company or any sort of recommendation to buy stuff, but on libertycoinservice.com, they have a free PDF archive of type set documents that are really nice to summarize things if anyone is interested in type coins.
      happy hunting, stay hydrated out there!
       
       
       
    • By Purplehays69
      I totally understand that our Aussie brother's n sisters always get the jumpstart on the newest Minelab gold detector but our wait in the USA is getting totally ridiculous......
    • By Condor
      My personal observations only, quick testing with no appreciable methodology.  Make no conclusions based on my limited time with the machine.
      I had Steve's 6000 for a couple hours this morning.  At sunup I detected up a swale where Jason had found a couple nuggets yesterday.  I gridded a section 6 ft wide and about 25 yds long.  I marked 7 undug targets, 4 definite dig me signals and 3 iffy threshold warbles with the 6000 and 11" coil.  I then covered the same ground with my 7000 and 15x10 Xcoil.  The 7000 had no trouble with any of the 4 dig me targets and found no new targets.  Nothing but Ground and Salt noise over the questionable targets.  I dug the clear targets, first 2 were micro nuggets in the .2 gram range.  Third was a shallow hot rock and the 4th was surface trash.  I ran the 6000 back over the questionable targets and couldn't get anything repeatable.  
      I wish I had known JP's thing about the speaker/EMI because I was noise cancelling often, especially if I set the machine down for any length of time.
      Jason's summary from yesterday sums up our limited joint testing quite well.  My feeling after this limited time is that if I were 5 years younger, I would stick to the 7000 with the array of X-Coils to suit the conditions.  But, I'll turn 67 years young next month and my detecting shoulder has been nagging me for several years.  I have fashioned a hipstick that transfers the detector weight into the frame of an archery fanny pack with shoulder straps.  I thought it was great until I swung the 6000 with 11" coil.  Regrettably, I decided to run the 6000 with the 17" coil with no bungee this morning.  45 minutes and I was done, hence my abbreviated time on the 6000.  I'm  gonna want a bungee for the 14" DD or the 17" coils.  
      N. Nevada at this time of year is tough to hunt.  The weather is great, but the ground has enough moisture to make the salt darn near unbearable in many places.  The 6000 with 11" coil tames it some, but there's no magic absent the DD coil.  Hot rocks are about the same as the 7000, although I found the Auto + with nearly silent threshold chops the tailing edge of a hotrock signal.  You'd still have to dig them, but without enthusiasm.  
      Am I buying one, probably.  But I'm not rich and doubt I can justify $13k worth of detectors.  I'm going to need to make an either or decision.  
    • By Glenn in CO
      Well our club held it first club outing last week since the pandemic began last year. The club has had Zoom meetings every month for those who wanted to keep in touch, but everyone was itching to get together and enjoy some relic hunting. The club trip leader announced that this outing would be the thirty-fifth time the club has been to this site, the last time was 2018 and many coins (Seated Quarter, Indian Heads, Shield Nickels) tokens and relics were found. This club outing V-Nickels, Shield Nickels, Seated Dime, Indian Heads, Wheat Cents, tokens and relics were found. You would think after thirty-five times to this site it would be some what hunted out, but the site keeps producing or is our metal detectors technology getting better? Mostly Equinox's, Garrett's, XP Deus's , Whites were being used. My wife was using a XP Deus and I was using a Nokta Kruzer with a five inch coil. Looking forward to the next club outing the first part of June and other outings for the rest of the year.
      Club members getting ready to head out to the Ghost Town

      Beautiful day to be relic hunting

      Here are some of the tokens and relics I and my wife found

       
×
×
  • Create New...