Sub Gram Coil For Gpx5000

Hello all. I’m new to this forum and am seeking advice on my detector.

I recently acquired my dads gpx5000. It’s a big step up from my ML xterra 705. He gave me 2 commander coils. An 11” mono and an 11” DD as well as a coiltek 12x18 goldstalker mono.

Previous to this, I was interested in the GM1000 because of its ability with smaller gold. My question is can I make this gpx as good or better for small gold as the GM1000 by using a smaller coil. As you can tell I’m relatively new to this. Lol

Thank you 

Steve

BC109FE2-DB4E-4574-9CC8-966E79701105.jpeg.f526b43fd4645bdad10f74aec945b35c.jpegSteve,

Welcome to the forum!

The above chart shows the performance of several Minelab Detectors including the ones you mentioned. The smaller 8 inch Commander mono coil or Coiltek Goldstalker mono 6 inch will give more sensitivity on sub-gram gold vs. the larger coils. In low minerized ground the GM 1000 will find smaller gold than the gpx 5000, but will not go as deep on larger gold.

Ron

• Like 1

The 12x8" Nugget Finder Evo coil running in Fine Gold will get you closest to the sensitivity of the Gold Monster, but will punch deeper and handle the ground a lot better. 

• Like 4

Try the Commander 11” DD coil with the Coil/RX switch set to Mono, in conjunction with the Fine Gold timing; you will effectively have an 11” x 6” pseudo-monoloop, where the left half of the coil is hot, and will be even more sensitive than the Commander 11” mono or the 12” x 8” Goldstalker, with the added benefit of being able to handle mineralized ground better than a straight mono coil. Better yet, try it with a Commander 10” x 5” DD coil.

• Like 6

If you hit a large virgin patch you will find most worthwhile nuggets you will get are in the 0.1 to 1.0gms range. in most of the area you cover this will be the case, but you may get a few bit ranging from double number gm to multi ounce bits but they are easily heard till you hit deeper ground. At this stage a bigger coil is the way to go. As Lunk said using a double DD coil in pseudo-monoloop will really help in cleaning up tiny bits. I have used this method many times when I was too lazy to go back to the 4WD for a smaller coil. Note when pinpointing in this mode the centre of the signal will be on the side and centre of the transmit coil, the same goes with using the edge of the coil it is on the transmit side also.

• Like 5

Wow! Great responses. Thank you! I did read elsewhere about the DD in mono trick. I do have a 6” DD Minelab coil for my xterra 18.75 kHz that appears to have the same plug as the gpx, but don’t want to damage anything. 
Only have a about 2 or hrs of time on the gpx, and that’s on my property where there is likely some large ferrous items buried there from a previous owner. I need some virgin ground that is less trashy so I can experiment a bit. Detecting my lot is a crash course in insanity. So many large hits makes it frustrating to practice. Southeast Alaska is my home, but it’s not exactly in the gold belt here.  I have so much to learn yet, but that is what keeps my interest. 

Steve 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wltdwiz said:

the coil from the xterra is not interchangeable with your gpx dont go there

Right, I just had to ask though..wasn’t about to try. Different plugs anyway upon closer inspection, probably different animals too. 

Geology here varies greatly. Where mountains meet the ocean. Lots of iron and some bronze artifacts left over from lode mining days of course. There’s quite a variety minerals, even rare earth but just like anywhere, it depends on location. I’m betting a lot of benign ground but then again pyrite is wide spread too. Should be interesting with the mono coil. I tested it on a .34g spongy nugget I found and it didn’t ring on it. But I’m sure it wasn’t set up to optimum. So much to learn...