What Time Do You Guys Usually Do Park Metal Detecting?

14 hours ago, kac said:

... Some the parks here close at sunset but most of the time people don't care....

I notice that you add the suffix that " .... most people don't care".  

I lived in a home across the street from a city park in my city for many years.  That had the obligatory sign "Park closes at sunset".    Yet it wasn't uncommon to see people who still (gasp) walked their dog after sunset.  Or a couple on a romantic late-night stroll, or whatever.   The park connected two separate neighborhoods in our part of the city.  So the sidewalk going through needed to be walked on, if you were going one neighborhood to the other.  

So it was exactly as you say:  "No one cared".

The ONLY time I ever saw the sign enforced, was one night when some teenagers were having a keg party down there.   Some neighbor (whose back-yard fence was right adjacent) apparently called the cops to all the yipping and a lights of the teens frolicking around.   The cops came, and sent the teens packing.  That was the ONLY time I ever saw this "obligatory" sign enforced.

So in my opinion, that's the purpose of signs like that.  So that no one thinks they're going to homestead the park and camp out overnight.  Or to break of a late night party, etc.....   But for a singular dude md'ing ?  I highly doubt anyone gives 2 sh#ts.  

The reason I bring this up, is often-time, when I say that I do nice manicured turf at "2 am" (so as to keep gripers at bay), someone else is sure to point out the "park closes as sunset" type signs issue.   Ok, sure, let them languish at home.  Be my guest.  But I agree with you that any such boiler-plate sign is typically only enforced in cases of someone(s) being an utter nuisance, attracting attention, garnering someone else calling the cops, etc......  

• Like 1

I like to hit the parks right when the sun comes up, or just before the sun goes down. Not as many people around...

• Like 2

I usually hit a local park on a weekday at about 8 or 9 AM. Since it's been warming up that's usually warm enough for me by then and mostly just a few dog walkers and joggers around. Since we can't dig plugs where I live, I do the "screwdriver" method and nobody has ever complained about holes or marks (because there are none that they can see). Most people just wave and some are curious and ask questions. Many of those are interested in how to get started in metal detecting. Many of my area parks are not entirely safe at night, so I opt out of night hunting.