Pinpointers For Gold Prospecting?

I used the old Minelab 15 pin pointer for many years with no issues and converted to the 35 mid last year. The 35 is much more powerful and works every time for me using a 9 volt rechargeable battery.  With both i turn on away from anything metallic and the ground, waiting for the single ping balanced signal before using - if you dont get the single ping balance signal the pin pointer will not work even though the light is on.  - if the 35 is picking up ground minerals and buzzing on everything i just dial down the sensitivity a notch or two and it then works fine - much like you do on a detector when you are getting too much interference. I found that it is too easy to accidentally press the sensitivity adjustment buttons while using in a hole - sounds like you have hit on a target. As with most detectors the more you use it the more you get use to it. I immediately noticed the 35 has made locating targets faster for me compared to the Minelab 15 because it locates targets at a greater distance.

Its interesting how peoples experiences of the same product can be so diverse. Some peoples experiences of the 35 sound like its a complete dud - i wonder if this is a quality control issue for Minelab?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VicR said:

Its interesting how peoples experiences of the same product can be so diverse. Some peoples experiences of the 35 sound like its a complete dud - i wonder if this is a quality control issue for Minelab?

Agree X 2 VicR.  I think it is a quality control issue as I have a Pro-Find 35, use it often with the Equinox and have also used it with friends' GPZs and don't have an issue with it.   

It works perfectly pretty much every time.  And to be honest, I don't actually even know how to change the sensitivity or use the discrimination feature - just turn it on, beep/beep and it works.  I've even used it multiple times underwater in the river - no issues.  I think others are getting units that have manufacturing faults with them.  

"It works perfectly pretty much every time".  The one caveat - I have had one place where my 35 would sound off frequently all around the hole but this was highly mineralised ground and not a product fault - just a limitation due to mineralisation that most detectors have.  

If people have issues with their Pro Find I'd suggest returning it.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20210329_1118112.thumb.jpg.407c30794c680d67ed717f2f24b5374c.jpg

Used a few handheld pinpointers over the years, above one for last few years is the best by far for me. Shown in backpack mounted where tis out of way for most digs but when required for deep digs is handy and saves a lot of digging big wide holes for the big coil digs.  

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Norvic said:

Used a few handheld pinpointers over the years, above one for last few years is the best by far for me. Shown in backpack mounted where tis out of way for most digs but when required for deep digs is handy and saves a lot of digging big wide holes for the big coil digs.  

That looks good, Norvic. Perhaps I will do something similar. Most of the time my GM sits idle in the garage, I may as well make better use of it.

I like to use a pin pointer to verify if what I detected is gold or trash, I have saved valuable time proving one way or the other what is what. I can usually determine in seconds or a short period of time if what I detected is trash, then move on. I have gotten very good at it. A pin pointer can be a very valuable tool along with my detector. We all have our own way of looking for gold, my way may not be the best for anyone else. Good luck to everyone.