Search Coils For Minelab Equinox 800

29 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

...ridiculous hockey puck...

Chase, would you mind clarifying (as in what coil are you referring to)?

Not to be argumentative, but that "ridiculous hockey puck" has found me plenty of gold nuggets that the 11" coil or my other detectors simply would have missed due to iron mineralization and hot rock masking. Do I use it for anything else besides gold prospecting........up until now it is my favorite coil for shallow saltwater surf hunting since it creates almost no drag and is sensitive enough to hit targets that need to be found quickly. Anything deeper in the shallow surf would need a different kind of detector. It has also done very well for shallower coin, jewelry and relic hunting in thick aluminum and iron trash.

Do I still want a Coiltek 10X5".......yep!!!!

Looking forward to your test results, Chase

• Like 5

I like my  hockey  puck coil too. I may have a soft spot for  those hockey puck  coils since  I have about 200  real pucks that  I have collected since I was a kid. I even have a vintage Colorado   Rockies  game puck made by  Viceroy. I also have eyeballed 3 hockey pucks when i have been detecting with a couple of them being older.   2 were as      hard as a rock unlike the more rubbery ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

Do I use it for anything else besides gold prospecting........up until now it is my favorite coil for shallow saltwater surf hunting since it creates almost no drag and is sensitive enough to hit targets that need to be found quickly. Anything deeper in the shallow surf would need a different kind of detector. It has also done very well for shallower coin, jewelry and relic hunting in thick aluminum and iron trash.

I did say there were still some specific uses for the 6-inch (and that is why I had one in the first place).  But my main issue with the hockey puck has always been swing coverage not performance.  It performs well, deeper than it should be, and I have found some great coins with it in restricted swing areas.   I don't prospect so I can't give an opinion on that, though I am sure the 10x5 will do well, but how well compared to the 6", I have no idea and will probably never know. Most of the other stuff you mentioned is why I did keep the hockey puck (well except the beach part, I think I would go nuts with six-inch swing coverage, even in the surf).  Now that the 10x5 is here, not so much because I have the small target sensitivity and coverage I need, and I do plan to use it in the water too.  Heck, I have found very small stuff with the 11", I just can't swing it everywhere I would like.  I like the Coiltek 10x5 as I also like the similarly sized elliptical on my Deus.  Wish I had the 10x5, 2 weeks ago when I was detecting cotton fields.  Cotton field stubble is not like corn stubble that you can just kick over with your foot.  I was relegated to the small elliptical coil on my Deus to navigate the stubble as the six inch just allowed me to crawl through the rows due to its limited swing coverage - but would have preferred the Equinox due the type of trash in the field compared to the main targets of interest (brass vs. aluminum).  That similarly sized Deus HF elliptical coil has never left me wanting for a 5 or 6 inch round coil on the Deus.  The six-inch round is now simply redundant for me, there is really no one thing it does well for my hunting needs that is now not covered by the 10x5.  I know that is not the case for others who regularly use the six-inch, especially for gold hunting.  So I respect that there are still going to be hockey fans even after the arrival of the 10x5. :wink:

• Like 7

If I recall correctly, only the 11" round DD coil was available when the ML Equinox was introduced on the market.  The 6" round DD was next (few months later?) and pretty quickly(?) after that, the 12"x15" elliptical DD.

If either ML (or Coiltek) had released a ~5"x10" elliptical DD at the same time as the 6", the sales of the 6" likely would have been considerably less than it was.  (And thus ML's ploy of not allowing aftermarket coils until 2 1/2 years later.  Good for their investors, bad for their loyal customers....)

Since I prefer the 5"x10" DD over the 6" DD on my Fisher Gold Bug Pro for all the reasons mentioned above, I likely would have chosen similarly for the Equinox if the Coilteks had been available back then.  (And maybe I would have gotten both small coils.)  The 6" has done well for me but it's a specialty coil (particularly for tiny desert nuggets) and thus not used nearly as much as the stock 11" in my case.  Rather than add another specialty for well over $200 cost I'm going to sit tight for now but still be interested in upcoming reviews.  And then at some point I fear money in my pocket will become incendiary....  You secondary coil lovers know the drill.  😁

• Like 7

When i had the X-terra i would use the 5by 10 coil for the beach because of coverage and the 6'' 18kz . coil for hunting the  small gold when turf hunting.Even with a 6'' coil coverage was not that important because there was usually a great amount of  targets and it was not  long  before you  got a hit. Also it was easy to  recover  the target because of the small coil.You also had great target  separation. Both coils  would be good for tot lots. The 5 by 10 coiltech coil should be good for fresh water hunting since the 5 by 8 coil on my At  gold  did really good.  

• Like 1

Coiltek announced that there may be up to a 6 to 8 week delay in their coils.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Coiltek NOX COILS

Since we launched the new NOX coils just 4 weeks ago on the 3rd of March 2021, we have received 1000’s of orders for the product, and these orders are continuing to grow each day.  We have never before experience such demand for a Coiltek product.

We are naturally delighted to have such a positive response to the NOX product and we are grateful for your support. However, due to this unprecedented worldwide demand and the various impacts of COVID-19, deliveries are taking longer than usual.

Be assured, our worldwide distributors and dealers are doing the best they can and we are keeping in close contact with them. They are being updated regularly on availability and stock quantities.

We at Coiltek have a great production team and we are working around the clock to supply. Our commitment to quality and providing you with the best product possible is and will continue to be at the forefront. 

Current delays can be up to 6-8 weeks. The best way to purchase a NOX coil is to contact your local Coiltek dealer and place an order.
Again, thank you for your support and patience, we sincerely apologise for these delays.

• Like 2
  • Oh my! 2

I was lucky enough to pick up a Coiltek 14x9 about 2 weeks ago.  While I am brand new to metal detecting and still a month out from taking it down to the beach and detecting in the surf, I am impressed with it.  Like others have said, it is heavy, but I think that is the point.  I have taken in down to the river just to play with it a little and familiarize myself with it.  It feels nice in the strong current and is easier to work than the 11" that comes with the 800.  On the dry sand, I dug a few beer cans at a depth of 18"-24" deep.  The old church key ones so, probably pre 60s.  

I really purchased it for the beach/surf, so I will give a more detailed report of it in about 5-6 weeks and compare it with the 11" coil and a stock Excal II.

• Like 4

On 4/1/2021 at 11:20 AM, Swegin said:

Coiltek announced that there may be up to a 6 to 8 week delay in their coils.

IMPORTANT UPDATE - Coiltek NOX COILS

Since we launched the new NOX coils just 4 weeks ago on the 3rd of March 2021, we have received 1000’s of orders for the product, and these orders are continuing to grow each day.  We have never before experience such demand for a Coiltek product.

We are naturally delighted to have such a positive response to the NOX product and we are grateful for your support. However, due to this unprecedented worldwide demand and the various impacts of COVID-19, deliveries are taking longer than usual.

Be assured, our worldwide distributors and dealers are doing the best they can and we are keeping in close contact with them. They are being updated regularly on availability and stock quantities.

We at Coiltek have a great production team and we are working around the clock to supply. Our commitment to quality and providing you with the best product possible is and will continue to be at the forefront. 

Current delays can be up to 6-8 weeks. The best way to purchase a NOX coil is to contact your local Coiltek dealer and place an order.
Again, thank you for your support and patience, we sincerely apologise for these delays.

Maybe they are reformulating?  Since their coils are not better than stock ones?