The Summer For Noise Cancelling Headphones (eastern Usa)?

We detectorists are accustomed to dealing with nature (wind noise) and human nature (traffic noise) while detecting.  In a significant section of the USA, some of us get an added bonus (err, annoyance?) a few times in our lives.  I assume most of you aren't aware of this 17 year occurrence of cicadas known as Brood X.  Here from Wikipedia are the states most impacted:

The brood's next major emergence will take place during 2021 in these 15 states: Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, North Carolina, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.[5][3][6]

I don't remember 1970's emergence and in 1987 I was in California and Saskatchewan the entire time they were performing.  But I experienced the 2004 emergence.  It's pretty impressive.  Cicadas are present at least in the Eastern USA every year.  They typically compete with crickets in terms of volume and audio frequency (to my untrained ears, anyway).  However, the Brood X is like sitting in the front rows of a rock concert compared to the comfort or your living room listening to music.  Unlike crickets, they don't reserve their singing to merely the evening hours, either.  Here's an excerpt from NYTimes regarding their audio volume:

Sounds up to 90 decibels could be measured standing directly under a tree filled with cicadas. A motorcycle, by comparison, can put out sounds up to 95 decibels, which can damage hearing after about 50 minutes of continuous exposure, according to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

You don't need to be under a tree to experience the impact, either.

BTW, the 17 year emergence cycle is an example of nature understanding mathematics.  17 is a prime number (divisible by only 1 and itself if restricting to whole numbers).  The reason, though, with two competing hypotheses, is still being investigated.

• Like 1

Time for some deep fried cicadas!! "Shrimp of the trees", yum!!👌👍👍

• Haha 2
  • Oh my! 1

12 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Time for some deep fried cicadas!!

Now Joe D, that is just sick!

Everybody know you have to have them chocolate coated after frying.

Yes they are a little crunchy like a Crackle candy bar, but you really gotta taste them.

Be sure you get a big bag of them before their all gone.

• Haha 2