A Very Rare Bird

I have found a couple of spot that they frequent and got more than a dozen sunbakers at each location. I was unlucky, as hard as I tried could not see any Plumas Kwail that alone catch one or a pair to breed but will try next April if it the first thing I will do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Thank klunk.  Er ... should I say thanks for what ... those dang birds haven't been in Southern California in many, many years.  I think I'm going to look for them one day up in your area but I don't know when.

I'm sure Paul will be up there looking for the nests soon.

• Haha 1

Come ahead on up. But beware of the Sierra Croc! Now there's a nugget digging son of a gun, but you'll have to wait about another year for my report about them.

On 4/3/2021 at 9:52 PM, mn90403 said:

I think I'm going to look for them one day up in your area

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hear if you eat one you'll find more gold. I wonder what they taste like? 

1 hour ago, dogodog said:

I hear if you eat one you'll find more gold. I wonder what they taste like? 

14 minutes ago, klunker said:

I wonder what they taste like?

Not unlike a California Condor but not as greasy

I was always of the option that they taste like a cross between the California Condor and the Spotted Owl!

• Haha 3

Here in Oz they taste like Mutton Bird, very fatty.

"Adult short-tailed shearwaters, or 'mutton birds', fly halfway around the globe to hatch and raise a single chick each year in colonies across southern Australia, returning to the same sandy burrow every spring."

• Like 4

So kinda like a  cross between an old sheep and an american ground hog!!! I'm in, so somebody better start the fire. Oh and bring plenty of paper towels and beverages of choice.

• Like 1

Location, location, location! and the date is very important breeding pairs can only be found on April 1st!

Norm

• Like 1
  • Haha 3